By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How powerful will Nintendo's next-gen handheld/console be?

There has been quite a bit discussion lately about Nintendo's next-gen devices and many people, myself included, believe Nintendo is going to unify the handheld and console by releasing two seperate devices with the same architecture and OS with similar specs that will allow all games to be played on either platform. So how powerful do you think they will be?

Some people seem to think Nintendo needs to get back into a spec war with Sony/Microsoft by releasing a powerful console that will be able to compete with PS5/Xbox4 in order to regain strong third party support. Personally I believe this is a horrible idea and that Nintendo will go for a moderate power upgrade.

The handheld version will be a moderate boost from PS Vita, similar to how 3DS is moderately more powerful than PSP. The console version will be a moderate boost from Wii U, a bit larger than Gamecube to Wii, probably somewhere right between Wii U and Xbox One.

The storage medium used will be game cards, similar to the ones DS/3DS use but higher capacity, and can be used interchangeably between both devices so that they will have identical libraries. The console will display the games at a higher resolution, likely 540p vs 1080p, and have about double the RAM, 2gb vs 4gb.

Both decives will release in late 2016 at $199 each.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

"Both decives will release in late 2016"

I don't think it will be a simultaneous release - that would generate far too much logistical effort and it wouldn't look good if they cease to support 3DS so soon

Instead I would imagine they launch the home system first, and then the matching portable architecture later when it is even more feasible to produce at an affordable cost.

zorg1000 said:

The handheld version will be a moderate boost from PS Vita, similar to how 3DS is moderately more powerful than PSP.

Both decives will release in late 2016 at $199 each.

Would be a dissappointment.. there are already 50 euro chinese tablets with quadcore 1gb ram and 8gb storage space and 720p.. blowing the vita away.. for 199 euro's I would like to have at least a octa core, 2 gb ram and 16gb like a tablet like this http://www.tinydeal.com/fnf-ifive-mini-3gs-79-android-44-octa-core-3g-tablet-phone-p-126621.html .. shouldn't be that expensive to glue some buttons on it..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

fighter said:

I don't think it will be a simultaneous release - that would generate far too much logistical effort and it wouldn't look good if they cease to support 3DS so soon

Instead I would imagine they launch the home system first, and then the matching portable architecture later when it is even more feasible to produce at an affordable cost.

That would give 3DS a 5.5 year life, whereas DS have 6.25 years. That wouldnt be too early to replace 3DS especially since its selling much worse than DS.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I don't think third party support has much to do with the power of the console. Most engines are quite scalable. Most third party games are being released on PS4/3 and X1/360, there is certainly more at play than just the power of the console. I have far too many ideas of what it could be to try to write them all down as far as fusion lol. It will be interesting to see though.
I don't really see it happening too soon though.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

Nintendo will never release a console that's on par with the competition. It will always just be slightly above the competition's last gen consoles.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

zorg1000 said:
fighter said:

That would give 3DS a 5.5 year life, whereas DS have 6.25 years. That wouldnt be too early to replace 3DS especially since its selling much worse than DS.

Damn you're right... and I just bought a 3DS lol

Dusk said:
I don't think third party support has much to do with the power of the console. Most engines are quite scalable. Most third party games are being released on PS4/3 and X1/360, there is certainly more at play than just the power of the console. I have far too many ideas of what it could be to try to write them all down as far as fusion lol. It will be interesting to see though.
I don't really see it happening too soon though.

Well at least give some of ur ideas, make this thread interesting

"Somewhere right in between Wii U and Xbox One"? Highly doubt so. I agree mostly except for that part. Wi was more powerful than the original Xbox, and Wii U is more powerful than PS360. Next Nintendo home system will be, at the very least, superior to PS4. It would be a really bad decision to make a console that can't even compete with, by the time, outdated systems (Which currently many people already calls 'outdated' for one reason or another).

Also, you're forgetting 4K. Sure, 4K capable devices are pretty expensive now, but by the time this gen ends it'll probably be more affordable. I'm sure it will have an impact on Nintendo's choices on their home system hardware. Imagine Mario Kart X on 4K 60 FPS.

vivster said:
Nintendo will never release a console that's on par with the competition. It will always just be slightly above the competition's last gen consoles.

Theyve done that 2 out of 6 times...