By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How powerful will Nintendo's next-gen handheld/console be?

ohmylanta1003 said:
jonnybmk said:
I am a professional in this business and I can guarantee that there will NOT be another Nintendo console.

If anyone asks, I DO NOT work for Nintendo. My heart is broken, by the way.

Troll?

LOL. Get a clue.

Around the Network

I'm not even care about Nintendo games, so i hope next Sony PSVita2/PSP3 get better support from 1st or 3rd party. It's totally obvious that next Sony handheld will be more powerful than Nintendo next handheld.

VanceIX said:
spemanig said:
VanceIX said:

No way. Not even going to be close.

The very best in mobile chips today (in phones that cost $800+) have trouble matching up to 2006 home computers in terms of power. I really doubt Nintendo would break the bank to put that kind of chip in their system.

Not to mention that the screen will almost certainly not even be full HD (I hope it is, but looking at Nintendo's track record, it will probably be 1280x720 or 1600x900, max).

The Vita's already close to PS3 levels now. No doubt in my mind is can be done by 2016.

Vita is absolutely no where near PS3 level.

The only thing the Vita has over the PS3 is RAM. It has less cores in the CPU (and each is much weaker than the PS3), and a considerably weaker GPU.

It's noticeable when devs try to port PS3 games like Borderlands 2. It's insanely hard to optimize, and the end product is usually a buggy mess.

It might be feasible in 2016, but only if Nintendo wants to charge $600+ for a handheld, which they absolutely won't.

Phones (particularily Apple's) have a massive mark up. 

Nvidia's Tegra tablet with a big 8 inch screen destroys the Vita and probably can come close to PS3/360 graphics and that costs $299.99 today (and is almost certainly sold at a decent profit margin). 

VanceIX said:
spemanig said:
VanceIX said:

No way. Not even going to be close.

The very best in mobile chips today (in phones that cost $800+) have trouble matching up to 2006 home computers in terms of power. I really doubt Nintendo would break the bank to put that kind of chip in their system.

Not to mention that the screen will almost certainly not even be full HD (I hope it is, but looking at Nintendo's track record, it will probably be 1280x720 or 1600x900, max).

The Vita's already close to PS3 levels now. No doubt in my mind is can be done by 2016.

The only thing the Vita has over the PS3 is RAM. It has less cores in the CPU (and each is much weaker than the PS3), and a considerably weaker GPU.

It's noticeable when devs try to port PS3 games like Borderlands 2. It's insanely hard to optimize, and the end product is usually a buggy mess.

It might be feasible in 2016, but only if Nintendo wants to charge $600+ for a handheld, which they absolutely won't.

sure, t's funny when you talk about optimization but the one did porting works is an Indie studio.

I honestly think Nintendo should maybe float the idea of MS or Sony supporting their next handheld.

MS doesn't make a handheld, Sony may bail after Vita. Why not? The industry is in trouble, even Sony acknowledges they rely on Nintendo to get kids into button-based gaming, that's under threat today with the rise of mobile which has also pretty much killed the Japanese market.

Not sure if Nintendo would be willing to use Windows OS, but if they were I think MS would be willing to back them with game/developer/marketing support and perhaps even money straight across.

It's time for an end to silly fanboy-ish bickering, this business needs a major shake up IMO. Nintendo needs a change too, if the answer is always Mario + Pokemon + Zelda + Mario Kart + Animal Crossing then they are going to continue to see a decline in their overall marketshare and losses in the Western markets especially. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
It's time for an end to silly fanboy-ish bickering,

WRONG.

It's ALWAYS time for fanboy bickering.

Nintendo's gonna fuse handheld and console most likely though.

wii U sucessor must be at least as powerfull as ps4. if not, it will be a joke.
i think they will wait for the price of compatible technology drop, so they could sell for a affordable price. but i cant see it before 2018.

handheld, i dont know...
Why would them release other handheld? a more powerfull handheld would be more apealling than 3DS?
3DS can handle now 3D mario/kart, 3D zelda, even smash bros!
and vita is flopping, they dont need to upgrade to compete with it.

A more powerfull handheld could compete better against smartphones? i dont think so.
So, i dont expect the next handheld too soon.

Soundwave said:
VanceIX said:

Phones (particularily Apple's) have a massive mark up. 

Nvidia's Tegra tablet with a big 8 inch screen destroys the Vita and probably can come close to PS3/360 graphics and that costs $299.99 today (and is almost certainly sold at a decent profit margin). 

The Tegra Shield has in no way come close to the PS3 or 360 in real-life performance. The CPU is just a standard tablet CPU, meaning that it doesn't have the computational power of the PS3 or 360. The GPU is great, but when the CPU is the bottleneck, that doesn't really matter.

The Tegra Shield can't handle a game like TLOU or Halo 4.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

PS4-level console just makes no sense to me. It will suffer the same fate as the Wii U ... everyone will already own a PS4/X1 by 2017/2018, and both will have a library of hundreds of games. PS4/X1 will likely also be cheaper having had years of mass production to bring down hardware costs. 

The only people who'd buy it would be the same (shrinking) base of Nintendo fans.