By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic: The most overrated game ever?

Ka-pi96 said:
curl-6 said:
Only if Grand Theft Auto has had it's name legally changed to "Sonic"

This is a thread about most overrated game, not the most awesomest.

Obviously, since it didn't have "Resident Evil 4" in the title... :p

Around the Network

On topic though, Sonic has never been great.

Even the Genesis entries suffered from the franchise's fundamental problem; when its going fast, it's more a cutscene than a game, and when it slows down, it lacks the tight controls a platformer needs to excel.

Love Sonic 1
Love Sonic 2
Love Sonic 3
Love Sonic & Knuckles

Certainly not.

The 2D games are absolute classics, and the Adventure games are the best platformers out there in my opinion.

Definitely not.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Even the Genesis entries suffered from the franchise's fundamental problem; when its going fast, it's more a cutscene than a game, and when it slows down, it lacks the tight controls a platformer needs to excel.

I don't really get this complaint.. I can play the Genesis games just fine everytime I want to slowdown! Platforming has never been an issue for me in the 2D games ( the 3D games on the other hand? Yeah.....). :-/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I've beat Sonic 1 about 100 times, Sonic 2 about 20 times, S3K about 5 times. I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into SADX and SA2B. No, I don't think these games are overrated.

The most over rated game of all time was E.T. periode. The game companies, the movie studios, everyone hyped the shit out of that POS and saying it was an experience just like the movie. Know what happened? As well as being the most over rated game of all time it was also the worst game of all time and is infamous for being so and was eventually buried in a landfill. I heard recently some people were trying to dig them up recently and even tho the game is complete trash it's infamy and history has made it a hugely profitable collectors item.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

curl-6 said:

How is going fast like a cutscene? If you're going fast you have to concentrate even more or else you'll bump into something and slow down. The originals had good enough controls for platforming as well.. This isn't the franchise's problem at all, let alone the fundamental one. One of the actual problems has been, and still is, the direction the franchise wants to go in its 3D games.

Squeezol said:
curl-6 said:

How is going fast like a cutscene? If you're going fast you have to concentrate even more or else you'll bump into something and slow down. The originals had good enough controls for platforming as well.. This isn't the franchise's problem at all, let alone the fundamental one. One of the actual problems has been, and still is, the direction the franchise wants to go in its 3D games.

When Sonic goes fast, he frequently goes so fast control is out of the question. You're just watching him speed through loop the loops with no interactivity.