By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony’s PlayStation Now Service Feels Like Highway Robbery"

Tagged games:

Podings said:
...Do you also have to pay the PlayStation Plus standard subscription fee in order to use this service?

If so, this whole thing is pretty funny.

Pay for new console to gain access to internet and games.

Pay for access to the internet, that you're already paying your ISP to have access to.

Pay for access to a video game.

Video game is not even running on you fancy new console.

Video game will not be in your possession.

From my understanding you don't need PS+.

Eventually you also won't need a console. PSNow is a streaming service so there is no need for native hardware. Sony currently have plans to make it available on all PS consoles, TVs, tablets and smartphones. I wouldn't be surprised if we one day see it come to PC some form.

Around the Network

Prices are still influx. Games like FFXIII-2 have DLC included.

http://kh13.com/, for everything Kingdom Hearts.

Criticism during beta is healthy. The more ppl let their voices be heard, the more likely Sony will set the most optimal prices and the better the chances of PSNow to be a success.

So basically, swing away, folks!

You can't look at Blockbuster and Redbox rental prices as a form of defense for this. They usually offer the latest games and thus usually that is what people rent. Same with Gamefly. If PSNow offered the latest PS4 games then those prices would be considered amazing.

But at the end of the day it's just an option and people have the right to be provided with them and spend their money how they see fit.

the 3euros for 4 hours thing could have its uses if you think about it, say you have some people over playing a few local multiplayer games and someone suggests a game you don't have, no need to download it, no wait time and just pay for 1 night of playing the game for very little cash. Sure when you use Dynasty warriors 7 as an example it sounds rediculous because it's an old game... but this is a Beta as in to test what they can do, wouldn't worry about the quality of the content being offered in the service just yet.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Euphoria14 said:
Back when we had Blockbuster it was like $8 for 5-days.

Today we have Redbox which is $2/day or $14 for 7-days.

Now $8 for 7-days is bad? Where have people been living where they did not pay attention to rental prices? What did they want, $2 for a week rental?

Those seem like terrible prices, what are gamefly prices? I'd check but get redirected away from US site.

First month is free if you use the trial offer, then it is $16/month for 1 game at a time or $23/month for 2 games at a time

You get discounts for the 1st 2 months if you opt out of the free trial.

If you sign up for 1 game at a time the first 2-months are $10 each ($16/month after that).

2-game at a time sub is $20/month for the 1st 2-months and $23/month after that.

Typical turnaround time for games is around 3-days depending on your location and you run into the issue of the games you want not being on hand. So you sign up, place a game on your queue, then you get the next available game on that queue around 2 days later, play for a week or so (depending on how often you actually game), send it back, get another one in 3-4 days (Depends on when they recieve your game back). I used to average around 2-3 games per month on my 1 game sub.

I has Gamefly for 3-years before I stopped around 1 year+ ago because I never had the time to play all those games to justify $16/month, but if you have nothing better to do and just game 10+ hours a day then it's fantastic value. Personally I don't see how anyone can have the time to justify a 2 game per month sub. They must seriously do nothing at all but eat, sleep and play video games.

I use Redbox now because if I grab a game at 1pm today I get to keep it until 9pm the next night before being charged for a 2nd day. Based on my game time lately it works best for me. Allowed me to beat Uncharted 3 single player in 3-days and thanks to the constant coupons they hand out I only paid $4.58.

Edit - I also want to mention that the reason I like 1-day and 1-week rentals is because for $2-$10 I can either beat a game and/or see if that is the kind of game for me. If it is I will usually then just go out and purchase the game. Works better for me than spending $60 only to find out I hate it.

Last time I rented a video game from Redbox it was MLB14 The Show on PS3. I did so in order to get my character up and running and learning the new stuff about the game so that when I picked up my PS4 copy I was good to go. The game had the option to upload my PS3 save to the cloud and transfer it to my PS4 version. So it was only an extra $2 investment.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Imaginedvl said:
Avro1958 said:
People are quick to jump the gun... A lot of the anti PSnow opinions are laughable and not based in reality. It's quite comical to read to be completely honest.

Thanks for sharing a very relevant and compeling argument to counter those anti-PSnow opinions. I'm feel very enlighted now.

OP: I think the price is okay.
My main concern with this service is how well it will work and I'm not sure if we have the option to actually buy the games too :(

Your very welcome. 

Kyuu said:
prayformojo said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Considering this is mostly for last gen games if you don't have the last gen console physical isn't an option. So it's streaming from PS Now or nothing.

You'd be better off buying a used PS3. But that would imply people use their brains first and we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

That makes no sense at all.

It makes perfect sense when you add up the costs etc. By the time this generation ends, people who do alot of renting PS3 games will have spent much more money than they would have if they had just got the PS3 itself and used games to go with it. And by much more, I mean...a shit ton more.

Not to mention, they will actually OWN said games.

My my, what heated arguments on a beta test.

The month option seems very reasonable to me and I would probably give some game a go if it stays like that.

I know that no matter what prices they charge some of you will always be against anything Sony offers. I am curious however what price/duration combination to replace the 4h-4$ option would make most happy.

1,5$ for 2h? 2$ for 3h?

I can understand people using this to play in the weekends before going into town or whatever with some friends to have a blast.

I agree with this post. I'd try some of the games I've missed,but the prices are just way 2 high!!!!!!!!