By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony’s PlayStation Now Service Feels Like Highway Robbery"

Tagged games:

There are so few games I play more than a month. Then I resell it on eBay. This doesn't seem bad to me.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
Tamron said:
gergroy said:

Yeah, the term is actually commonly used here in the states to describe something that is overpriced.  They arent actually saying it is stealing.

Then americans are using it poorly.

Can't deny it.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Fusioncode said:
HylianSwordsman said:
And here I thought Nintendo's Virtual Console was pushing it. This would be like if Nintendo were to offer you all the games on the virtual console for the prices they have now, but instead of buying them for that price, you'd rent the ability to stream them for a few hours.

I didn't realize Nintendo offered Wii games on the virtual console. 

It's not a high priority for them right now, the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii, Wii games are pretty well available and low priced, and overall there's more demand for other games to get to the Virtual Console, like Gamecube games, which have yet to be implemented. Wii Ware is available though. Next gen, we'll likely see Wii games on the Virtual Console, while Wii U games will just be available through the eShop and be backwards compatible. Either way, the point we're discussing in this thread is price, and while I do feel like the prices are a bit much on the Virtual Console, these PSNow prices are ridiculous. Before I found out the price, I was 100% sure I was going to get PSNow, and was debating whether to get a PS3 or not. I even made a thread about it asking for advice. Some people said get PSNow, a couple said get both, but the majority said a PS3 was worth it and PSNow wasn't yet. So I decided to get a PS3 and just hope that there was a good selection of PS1 classics on PSN, and maybe get PSNow down the line somewhere. But the people in that thread were basing that off game selection, not price, and now that I've seen the price, my choice is clear, I'm getting a PS3, and until they fix this ridiculous pricing, I've no interest in PSNow. I feel silly for being so deadset on it now.

KLXVER said:
They can charge 1$ or 100$ for a week for all I care. Never using that service anyway...

Even if it was completly free, it would be an awful option, playing with control input lag & compressed graphics quality... no thanks, already tested this & it is a joke!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

I wonder if when the beta opens up on the PS3 they'll have added PS2 and/or PSOne games to the service...Would seem like a tough sell trying to get people who have PS3s to take to this for PS3 games.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Don't the developers/publishers set the price? I was under the impression that's why there seems to be a huge variation in price across various titles.

Zekkyou said:

Don't the developers/publishers set the price? I was under the impression that's why there seems to be a huge variation in price across various titles.

No... Sony is evil. You're looking too far into it.

BMaker11 said:

Gamefly: Doing just fine right now. $23 a month for 2 games out at a given time.

Redbox: Doing just fine right now. $2/day. $60/month for a game

PSNow: apparently, terrible prices. $10 for a month for a game (like KZ3 and FFXIII-2....nice try with Critter Crunch, though). 2 games = $20 for the month.

Non-Sony game rental services: such fairer price. much consumer friendly.

Gamefly is a subscription based service like Netflix. Using it as an example doesn't really help your cause, no matter what games and rental lengths you pick to try and tip the scales in your favor. For example I have the 3 games at a time plan for $30 a month. That's 3 retail games at any given time. In a given month I may play 10 games, at the least. The two games you listed both follow the $3 -> $6 -> $8 -> $15 progression of pricing. Now, in order to enjoy say, 10 games, as I can easily on Gamefly in a given month, even if I chose the absolute cheapest rental price, $3, that's a paltry 4 hours per title. If I went a step up to a more reasonable 7 days per title, well, suddenly I'm paying double what I would pay on Gamefly. Plus with Gamefly I earn GF rewards and get access to discounted games. Not to mention that the games I am getting from Gamefly are actual real reliable disc based games. Not a streaming service, which can go down, or experience latency, etc. You can sing the praise of PS Now's performance until the cows come home, it will never replicate having the disc inside your console. Which is fine, by the way, since it's not SUPPOSED to do that. But then don't make the comparison.

I would stop throwing out Redbox, too. They missed their profit expectations in their last financial report, have lower YoY revenue, and even they are getting into the subscription based market with the Verizon thing they have. Which I have tried by the way, and it sucks. A vast majority of the business at Redbox is movies. You're reaching trying to include them.

And either way, even if these two other businesses were good examples (they aren't), it doesn't touch the point of my post. If there were competitors to Sony in this area, they'd had never even launched this beta with such stupidly awful prices. But Sony is making sure there isn't any competition, which is allowing them to even try this junk. Soon enough consumers will speak and they will offer the subscription package and lower prices, and you'll have something else to praise them for.

LudicrousSpeed said:
BMaker11 said:

Gamefly: Doing just fine right now. $23 a month for 2 games out at a given time.

Redbox: Doing just fine right now. $2/day. $60/month for a game

PSNow: apparently, terrible prices. $10 for a month for a game (like KZ3 and FFXIII-2....nice try with Critter Crunch, though). 2 games = $20 for the month.

Non-Sony game rental services: such fairer price. much consumer friendly.

Gamefly is a subscription based service like Netflix. Using it as an example doesn't really help your cause, no matter what games and rental lengths you pick to try and tip the scales in your favor. For example I have the 3 games at a time plan for $30 a month. That's 3 retail games at any given time. In a given month I may play 10 games, at the least. The two games you listed both follow the $3 -> $6 -> $8 -> $15 progression of pricing. Now, in order to enjoy say, 10 games, as I can easily on Gamefly in a given month, even if I chose the absolute cheapest rental price, $3, that's a paltry 4 hours per title. If I went a step up to a more reasonable 7 days per title, well, suddenly I'm paying double what I would pay on Gamefly. Plus with Gamefly I earn GF rewards and get access to discounted games. Not to mention that the games I am getting from Gamefly are actual real reliable disc based games. Not a streaming service, which can go down, or experience latency, etc. You can sing the praise of PS Now's performance until the cows come home, it will never replicate having the disc inside your console. Which is fine, by the way, since it's not SUPPOSED to do that. But then don't make the comparison.

I would stop throwing out Redbox, too. They missed their profit expectations in their last financial report, have lower YoY revenue, and even they are getting into the subscription based market with the Verizon thing they have. Which I have tried by the way, and it sucks. A vast majority of the business at Redbox is movies. You're reaching trying to include them.

And either way, even if these two other businesses were good examples (they aren't), it doesn't touch the point of my post. If there were competitors to Sony in this area, they'd had never even launched this beta with such stupidly awful prices. But Sony is making sure there isn't any competition, which is allowing them to even try this junk. Soon enough consumers will speak and they will offer the subscription package and lower prices, and you'll have something else to praise them for.

Do the PS3 games you get from GameFly or Redbox work in a PS4?

Personally I'm never going to use this service and I have a PS4.

People are quick to jump the gun... A lot of the anti PSnow opinions are laughable and not based in reality. It's quite comical to read to be completely honest.