By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony’s PlayStation Now Service Feels Like Highway Robbery"

Tagged games:

Tamron said:
Optional rental service : highway robbery.
How dare they charge money for a service I am not forced, in any way, to use.

Some travellers are crossing the old west, and chance upon some highwaymen, the highwaymen stop the carriage and say "ya'll gonna have to pay the toll to come through here".
"But we don't want to pay!"
"Well gee it's simple just mozey on over there to the other side of that tree and be on yer way"

Yeah, totally highway robbery.

Lol, Im noticing a trend here with people from the uk.  Evidently this isnt a term used over there?

Around the Network
gergroy said:

Lol, Im noticing a trend here with people from the uk.  Evidently this isnt a term used over there?

Regardless of locale, you cannot steal by passively offering a choice.

And no, UK is not the country in which I live.

Tamron said:
gergroy said:

Regardless of locale, you cannot steal by passively offering a choice.

Yeah, the term is actually commonly used here in the states to describe something that is overpriced.  They arent actually saying it is stealing.  

gergroy said:

Yeah, the term is actually commonly used here in the states to describe something that is overpriced.  They arent actually saying it is stealing.

Then americans are using it poorly.

HylianSwordsman said:
And here I thought Nintendo's Virtual Console was pushing it. This would be like if Nintendo were to offer you all the games on the virtual console for the prices they have now, but instead of buying them for that price, you'd rent the ability to stream them for a few hours.

I didn't realize Nintendo offered Wii games on the virtual console. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Soonerman said:
I can't believe how many people are defending this. Yesterday, when people were talking about EA's subscription based being a rip-off and this one is supposed to be great??!!?? I . If anything, Sony are ripping off people even worst.

PS3's library, without any console >>>> yearly EA rehashes

kowenicki said:

just "yes" would have done.

so you see a sub model as more atttractive and would welcome it.

we got there in the end.  thanks.

Talk about selective reading. "It also means taking losses somewhere else, which ultimately still affects me. So, actually, I don't know if I would welcome it."

"If the costs > revenue with a $10 sub, and they start taking cuts elsewhere (halting developments of new IPs for example), well, I think my "Playstation future" trumps old titles (implying that I wouldn't like the $10 sub)"

But, read what you want to, I guess. Put words in my mouth about "a subscription being more attractive and would welcome it", completely ignoring that I just said I don't like a $10 subscription, the little standard you were talking about. I don't like your proposal, because it would definitely impact negatively elsewhere. For the right price, where Sony could still operate properly and not take losses.....that would be more attractive. But don't just blanket statement "you said a subscription would be more attractive and would welcome it" just to say "see, I was right" when you have very detailed specifics that I objected to.

You like the Netflix model, like everyone else. Ok, let me do what you just did: "Kowenicki thinks the subscription model is attractive and would welcome it. $5 a month for 240p max video quality is something he'd like".

Now, you actually believe the $8 is a good price (the "right price" for a supposed PSNow sub), and you get good quality videos (good quality streaming games). But because "the subscription model is attractive and you'd welcome it" (something you/I inferred from having subs period), any price and any shit quality is something you'd happily go with (lower quality experience due to cheap prices).

That's what you just did to me. 

It is just too much indeed. Just charge 99 cents for one week for a old game and 1,99 for a new AAA one. That is fair.
1,99 for one month of a old one and 2,99 for a month of a AAA big title.
More than that and I am out.
By the way, PSone should be 10-30 cents for one week and a PS2 title should be 40-50 cents.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

-snip-

I've been robbed before but never on a highway. Is it really that different?