By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony’s PlayStation Now Service Feels Like Highway Robbery"

Tagged games:

Soonerman said:
I can't believe how many people are defending this. Yesterday, when people were talking about EA's subscription based being a rip-off and this one is supposed to be great??!!?? I . If anything, Sony are ripping off people even worst.

i am willing to bet if playstation now was actually called Xbox Now the people who are defending would instead be attacking it

Around the Network

if they would make all 4 hr rentals $.99 and come down about 25% on the rest i wouldnt have an issue at all, that or maybe a $10 a month Sub fee for one system or $15 a month sub fee for any system to use kinda like they do with music unlimited. Come to think of it a $20 a month bundle of PS+ Music unlimited and this would be tits.

animegaming said:
Soonerman said:
I can't believe how many people are defending this. Yesterday, when people were talking about EA's subscription based being a rip-off and this one is supposed to be great??!!?? I . If anything, Sony are ripping off people even worst.

i am willing to bet if playstation now was actually called Xbox Now the people who are defending would instead be attacking it

Then there are those people that don't give a fuck either way because they know they don't have to use the service.

Soonerman said:

It natural for people to defend thier investments. You proably defend the sports team in your logo until you are blue in the face, for example.

And here I thought Nintendo's Virtual Console was pushing it. This would be like if Nintendo were to offer you all the games on the virtual console for the prices they have now, but instead of buying them for that price, you'd rent the ability to stream them for a few hours.

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:

The difference here too is that PSNow doesn't actually require a console.  That factors into the price as well.

Is PSNow the "perfect value"?  Absolutely not.  Is it a good option for people without a PS3 to experience some of the previous generations games for decent rental prices?  Yes.  Is it going to win over the entitled "give me everything I want for only what I personally specifically value it for, your business model be damned!" generation that seems to have flooded the gaming scene?  Never.  Is anything?  Nope.

It's moderate to bad pricing for a select demographic who don't own a PS3, but have a good internet speed. For everyone else its just plain bad and better deals can be found easily elsewhere.

I mean how far along in the ps4's development process did they think it was a good idea to get rid of backward compatibility and instead introduce a streaming service which offers backwards compatibility with the added bonus of getting money out of the consumer?

Trunkin said:

PSNow is a good deal for what it is, but what it is isn't as good a deal as what it could be if they just went with a subscription. If they could charge, say, $15 a month for unlimited access, that'd be great -- expecially with the multiplatform nature of the service. Even $20 a month to play whatever I want, whenever I want to would be better than rentals, IMO. I'm sure it all hinges on what the publishers are willing to accept, though.

I can see myself renting a month of a game for $12 under the right circumstances, but I'd hate myself for it all the same. Just like I hated myself for spending $6 to rent the Hobbit digitally just to see it in HD.

Well even if they offered a monthly subscription plan, not every game on PS Now would be in it. Publishers would only put their old games in that plan.

I think your expectations from a service like this are too high. Personally, I'd just like to see prices be a few dollars lower. However, there will likely be discounts.

Renting a game for $8 - 12 is generally a better value than a $6 movie rental.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Vena said:
BMaker11 said:

"Until the services goes live, it's not going to see the real load and demand"

Destiny handled 4.6M just fine. Just saying.

And apparently, according to you guys, the prices are just tremendously horrible. If they're so bad, not that many people will buy into it, so they won't have to worry about "real load and demand", right?

"You guys." Generalizations are bad for your health. I think only the 4-hour price is horrible (to the point where it seems more like a bad joke) the rest just aren't good deals for any number of reasons. Its a rental service, its not meant to be a good value/deal.

Destiny can handle whatever it wants. I also remember how everything crashed and stopped working when everyone and their dog was channeling onto PSN to prepare to play Destiny. There are so many steps along the way to an online service working, which is an especially big deal for a streaming service, and many of those steps are out of the hands of Sony/Bungie/Batman/God/The Pope.

Read this thread, the "EA Access isn't a good value" thread,  and any other PS Now thread made in the last few days. Enough people have bitched about the prices that I feel comfortable saying "you guys". 

Optional rental service : highway robbery.
How dare they charge money for a service I am not forced, in any way, to use.

Some travellers are crossing the old west, and chance upon some highwaymen, the highwaymen stop the carriage and say "ya'll gonna have to pay the toll to come through here".
"But we don't want to pay!"
"Well gee it's simple just mozey on over there to the other side of that tree and be on yer way"

Yeah, totally highway robbery.

Headshot said:

I mean how far along in the ps4's development process did they think it was a good idea to get rid of backward compatibility and instead introduce a streaming service which offers backwards compatibility with the added bonus of getting money out of the consumer?

Around about the moment they chose the architecture.