By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony’s PlayStation Now Service Feels Like Highway Robbery"

Tagged games:

BMaker11 said:

Why do you think it's still in beta and made it open now? To stress test and collect feedback on prices. They've already said they're gonna adjust the 4-hour price to $1.99, for example. I think they should get rid of that altogether and just give demos, but they are making sure that when it's rolled out, it'll be a good service

I know why they are doing what they are doing, I know what a stress test is, but it doesn't really matter. Until the service goes live, its not going to see the real load and demand (see every game ever that has had open beta tests and then, lo and behold, massive server issues on launch). This is going to be an especially volatille number, in fact, as times goes and more people (supposedly, if its not a complete disaster) use it. (I know the telecom companies are going to have a fun time throttling the shit out of it if it become big in the US.)

The whole 4-hour thing is beyond idiocy, and I have no idea why they even included it other than to give themselves bad PR to have to deal with. Any sensible market analyst would have told them that such an idea was, at best, playing to lose and, at worst (and as has happened), going to backfire in their faces as people focus on such a ridiculous thing.

Around the Network
Vena said:
BMaker11 said:

Why do you think it's still in beta and made it open now? To stress test and collect feedback on prices. They've already said they're gonna adjust the 4-hour price to $1.99, for example. I think they should get rid of that altogether and just give demos, but they are making sure that when it's rolled out, it'll be a good service

I know why they are doing what they are doing, I know what a stress test is, but it doesn't really matter. Until the service goes live, its not going to see the real load and demand (see every game ever that has had open beta tests and then, lo and behold, massive server issues on launch). This is going to be an especially volatille number, in fact, as times goes and more people (supposedly, if its not a complete disaster) use it. (I know the telecom companies are going to have a fun time throttling the shit out of it if it become big in the US.)

The whole 4-hour thing is beyond idiocy, and I have no idea why they even included it other than to give themselves bad PR to have to deal with. Any sensible market analyst would have told them that such an idea was, at best, playing to lose and, at worst (and as has happened), going to backfire in their faces as people focus on such a ridiculous thing.

"Until the services goes live, it's not going to see the real load and demand"

Destiny handled 4.6M just fine. Just saying.

And apparently, according to you guys, the prices are just tremendously horrible. If they're so bad, not that many people will buy into it, so they won't have to worry about "real load and demand", right?

i hate the fact there is only an option to rent them and no option to buy games on there espically with those terrible rental prices seriously that is just BS in my eyes

BMaker11 said:

"Until the services goes live, it's not going to see the real load and demand"

Destiny handled 4.6M just fine. Just saying.

And apparently, according to you guys, the prices are just tremendously horrible. If they're so bad, not that many people will buy into it, so they won't have to worry about "real load and demand", right?

"You guys." Generalizations are bad for your health. I think only the 4-hour price is horrible (to the point where it seems more like a bad joke) the rest just aren't good deals for any number of reasons. Its a rental service, its not meant to be a good value/deal.

Destiny can handle whatever it wants. I also remember how everything crashed and stopped working when everyone and their dog was channeling onto PSN to prepare to play Destiny. There are so many steps along the way to an online service working, which is an especially big deal for a streaming service, and many of those steps are out of the hands of Sony/Bungie/Batman/God/The Pope.

kowenicki said:
BMaker11 said:
kowenicki said:

Apples and oranges

Streaming service versus hard rentals??  Hard rentals are limited in their scope...OBVIOUSLY, you cant take the whole store home/have it delivered.

Ridiculous comparison.  A streaming gaming service should follow a netflix model, not a hard copy rental model.  All you can eat for a fair fee.

There is no reason for this model other than profiteering.

Yes, Because video games are just like movies. Because running them on 10s of 1000s of PS3s is the same as cheap the Netflix servers. Because actual hardware rendering content and sending it over the internet is the same as encoded video playback sent over the internet.

The inner workings are exactly the same, so the pricing model should be the same. Makes total sense

/s

Like this you mean?

wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the generation playstation now is as relevant as onlive 

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:
7$ for a game, one week to finish it is enough. If you can get better price get them, that's all there is to it.

unless if your playing a really long game or one that has an insane amount of replay value or just like to replay games in general then your better off just buying the game

I think the idea is great for backwards compatibility. The price is punitive. The reality is that today it is PS3 games...in a few years it will be PS4 games too. No need for any console when you can just stream it. My guess will be that they eventually allow you to purchase the content (like steam) and build up an online catalog that you can play anytime as long as you continue to subscribe to a monthly fee. So, it probably won't be just a rental service. Just a matter of time.

It is near the end of the end....

Hey guys... good news!! I found a way to bypass having to rent games for a ridiculous price. I've been using the beta and I avoided being robbed by Sony by deleting PS Now. Let me know if anyone else is having any more problems with this service.

Landguy said:
I think the idea is great for backwards compatibility. The price is punitive. The reality is that today it is PS3 games...in a few years it will be PS4 games too. No need for any console when you can just stream it. My guess will be that they eventually allow you to purchase the content (like steam) and build up an online catalog that you can play anytime as long as you continue to subscribe to a monthly fee. So, it probably won't be just a rental service. Just a matter of time.

In a few years, computers will just be emulating PS4 games with no real problems. Its all x86 now...

I can't believe how many people are defending this. Yesterday, when people were talking about EA's subscription based being a rip-off and this one is supposed to be great??!!?? I . If anything, Sony are ripping off people even worst.