By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MK8 now the best selling game of this year (per platform :-)

ExplodingBlock said:

Nintendo's financials show Mario Kart 8 with a total of 2.8m copies sold (including digital)

Unless you combine the sales of Watch Dogs across all platforms then Mario Kart is the best selling game of 2014 so far :)

Digital is not tracked for either WD or MK8 so its fair obviously.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
ExplodingBlock said:

Nintendo's financials show Mario Kart 8 with a total of 2.8m copies sold (including digital)

Unless you combine the sales of Watch Dogs across all platforms then Mario Kart is the best selling game of 2014 so far :)

Also, these are shipped numbers in the financial report, not sold to consumer

Tamron said:
ExplodingBlock said:
Ka-pi96 said:
ummmm so thread title says Mario Kart 8 is top selling game and then op says when excluding Watch Dogs... hmmm...

I said excluding combined sales

Not each platform

You combined disk based and digital for mk8, despite the 2.8 figure being shipped and not sold, but didn't combine disk based and digital for watch dogs (and you can't, because we don't have digital numbers.

This (how do you make theese <> point upwards?)

Teeqoz said:
Tamron said:
ExplodingBlock said:

I said excluding combined sales

Not each platform

You combined disk based and digital for mk8, despite the 2.8 figure being shipped and not sold, but didn't combine disk based and digital for watch dogs (and you can't, because we don't have digital numbers.

Shift Key + 6 = ^

jlmurph2 said:
Teeqoz said:

Shift Key + 6 = ^

That doesn't work for me, when I do that I get &.

Around the Network

Let's do some comparisons according to Nintendo's own financial information from the 1st Quarter of 2008 during Mario Kart Wii's release. I wouldn't put into comparison with Mario Kart DS nor with Double Dash since those released in the Holidays, unfair comparisons. Recall that we're comparing the mediocrity of the Wii U with the monster that was Wii. Mario Kart 8 had about a month less than Mario Kart Wii for the reporting period, but it's still fun to compare:

Mario Kart Wii - 6.42 Million
Wii Hardware - 29.6 Million
21.6 % Attachment Rate

Mario Kart 8 - 2.80 Million
Wii U Hardware - 6.68 Million
41.9% Attachment Rate

High attachment rate is a nice figure, but let's not get over ourselves either (though, it'll be curiously interesting if those same people talking negatively about the high attachment of MK8 also praise the somewhat high attachment rate of Watch Dogs on PS4....). 510,000 Wii U consoles is a nice number, brings up our spirits a little, knowing that there have probably been around 300,000 +/- new Wii U owners because of Mario Kart, but it's not good compared to Nintendo's last unsuccessful console the GameCube. Mario Kart 8 is probably Wii U's largest game release it'll ever have (unless Wi U gets another game that can sell as fast as Mario Kart 8 AND have the amazing legs it'll have over time). The next big Wii U game is Smash Bros, but that's NOT gonna outsell Mario Kart 8 in lifetime sales, it's way more front-loaded and won't be strong in over-time sales. Let's hope Nintendo keeps up with bringing more successes like this. Well, not selling that much in a short period of time, but breaking expectations.

jlmurph2 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
ExplodingBlock said:

Also, these are shipped numbers in the financial report, not sold to consumer

Also VGChartz track sold numbers not shipped.

We effectively have a thread for this, and also this thread is getting a little heated...best to lock it and move discussion to there.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=187627&page=1#

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.