By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q1 Earnings April-June

Soundwave said:
DerNebel said:
3DS in the first half of 2013: 2.64m

3DS in the first half of 2014: 1.40m

And some people still expect it to do over 100m...

Well what can you do. Kids are jumping ship en masse to tablets/phones. Most parents will give their older tablet to their kids when buying a newer model. 

Nintendo's thrown pretty much everything they possibly have at the 3DS ... 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart 7, every Mario spin-off imaginable, Pokemon X/Y, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, a new Zelda, etc. etc. 

Yeah the 3DS definitely has everything Nintendo can give it, but that doesn't help, if the market it self is just shrinking. The only thing that could bring the 3DS back on track to a 100m is a completely new IP that experiences the same kinda success that the original Pokemon games had.

Around the Network

Well VGC seems pretty close on Wii U and not far off with 3DS, good job. But I'm a little concerned by a loss on MK8 month. I thought everything was making a profit now?

Either way these numbers show more encouraging signs than last year which is a good start.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

KLXVER said:
DerNebel said:

Yeah, the 3DS has always done well in the holidays and with Smash, Pokemon  and MH4G (I think is what it's called) it should have a good holiday season this year as well, but it won't reach last years heights.

Maybe, but 100 million is not impossible though. Just like Sonys consoles, Nintendos handhelds seem to have long legs.

Eeeeh, I think 100 million is extremely unlikely, that would really need something new to reignite the interest of the people that went to smartphones/tablets for their mobile gaming needs. Like I said above, if Nintendo (or anyone else on 3DS) can come up with a new game that has the same kind of success that the original Pokemon games did, then it might be possible.

Conegamer said:
Well VGC seems pretty close on Wii U and not far off with 3DS, good job. But I'm a little concerned by a loss on MK8 month. I thought everything was making a profit now?

Either way these numbers show more encouraging signs than last year which is a good start.

VGC is completely overtracking both consoles !

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from Nintendo : 3DS = 0,82 million, Wii U = 0,51 million

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from VGchartz : 3DS = 1,50 million (+82,9%), Wii U = 0,69 million (+35,3%)

DerNebel said:
KLXVER said:
DerNebel said:

Yeah, the 3DS has always done well in the holidays and with Smash, Pokemon  and MH4G (I think is what it's called) it should have a good holiday season this year as well, but it won't reach last years heights.

Maybe, but 100 million is not impossible though. Just like Sonys consoles, Nintendos handhelds seem to have long legs.

Eeeeh, I think 100 million is extremely unlikely, that would really need something new to reignite the interest of the people that went to smartphones/tablets for their mobile gaming needs. Like I said above, if Nintendo (or anyone else on 3DS) can come up with a new game that has the same kind of success that the original Pokemon games did, then it might be possible.

Well its at 44 million now and the DS was at around 70 million in the same timeframe. SSB has never been on a handheld, so that might be a factor

Around the Network
YoyOne said:
Conegamer said:

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from Nintendo : 3DS = 0,82 million, Wii U = 0,51 million

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from VGchartz : 3DS = 1,50 million (+82,9%), Wii U = 0,69 million (+35,3%)

You have to look at lifetime sales and the supply left on the shelves and potential weeks of supply left if VGC numbers are accurate. It's not so bad then.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Terrible quarter for 3DS shipments. Got to wonder if the sales are slow, or just shops were overstocked.

My 8th gen collection

Conegamer said:
YoyOne said:
Conegamer said:

You have to look at lifetime sales and the supply left on the shelves and potential weeks of supply left if VGC numbers are accurate. It's not so bad then.

It might be not so bad for Wii U, but that won't ever explain the 83% difference on 3DS.

3DS is highly overtracked by VGchartz.

Vinniegambini said:
Operating loss - 94 million
Net loss - 98 million

Okay…do we have the numbers of the same quarter from 2013 for comparison?

If SSB4U and the Amiibos doesnt do much for the WiiU, then Ill admit to the WiiU being a failure.

You can quote me on that one.