By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Beta PS3 vs Xbox 360 Screenshot Comparison: Many Similarities, Quite a Few Differences

Tamron said:

Ultimately however what you're underlining here is that the PlayStation 4 version has made the biggest jump graphically, while the difference between xbox 360 and xbox one is much smaller.

So much text and then such a conclusion Really, both current-gen ports look way better than last-gen and saying Xbone looks closer to 360 than to PS4 seems  way off any rational thinking.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

Tamron said:

Ultimately however what you're underlining here is that the PlayStation 4 version has made the biggest jump graphically, while the difference between xbox 360 and xbox one is much smaller.

So much text and then such a conclusion Really, both current-gen ports look way better than last-gen and saying Xbone looks closer to 360 than to PS4 seems  way off any rational thinking.

Really? the game isn't a beauty queen, one of the major and most striking difference between last gen and current gen is the shadow quality, the xbox 360's shadow quality is much closer to current gen platforms shadow quality than the ps3 version.

and thus, people who buy a ps4 are getting a bigger leap in graphics quality than people who buy it for xbox one instead of 360.

To put it rather bluntly,

You admit in the thread opening that the PS4 version currently looks the best.
You then state that the 360 version looks significantly better than the ps3 version.

Thus, you yourself, are stating that the difference in quality is much greater for ps3 to ps4, than 360 to xbox one.

But anyway, my issue with the dodgy selection of screenshots / time of day differences still stands, I've no problem, at all, with seeing and accepting differences regardless of which console ends up on top, I do however find comparing screenshots with obvious quality consistency issues to be dubious at best.

Tamron said:
walsufnir said:

Tamron said:

To put it rather bluntly,

You admit in the thread opening that the PS4 version currently looks the best.
You then state that the 360 version looks significantly better than the ps3 version.

Thus, you yourself, are stating that the difference in quality is much greater for ps3 to ps4, than 360 to xbox one.

I start with "As PS4 currently seems to have a small edge over Xbone due to beta-resolution of Xbone being rendered at 900p". Yes, currently, it looks best, due to higher resolutin.

And yes, 360 looks definitely better than PS3. So yes, there is a bigger difference in PS3/PS4 than Xbone/360. What I read from your text was that the Xbone version looks closer to 360 than PS4 which is of course not right. Now I see what you wanted to say and I agree with you.

walsufnir said:

I start with "As PS4 currently seems to have a small edge over Xbone due to beta-resolution of Xbone being rendered at 900p". Yes, currently, it looks best, due to higher resolutin.

And yes, 360 looks definitely better than PS3. So yes, there is a bigger difference in PS3/PS4 than Xbone/360. What I read from your text was that the Xbone version looks closer to 360 than PS4 which is of course not right. Now I see what you wanted to say and I agree with you.

Now thats out of the way can we please source some better comparison pictures?

the last ones a good start, but the rest are highly questionable, looks almost like direct grabs versus stream grabs.

Anyone with a good hd capture card and the ps3 version already installed want to chime in?, i really dont want to download the beta a third time

walsufnir said:

let's take a look at the two consoles with a way higher install base, PS3 and 360.

You're saying that like it makes the two platforms more important, but in fact the sales of these two versions will pale in comparison to ps4/XOne versions.

Also, no parity clause for last gen it seems.

Around the Network
Tamron said:
walsufnir said:

Now thats out of the way can we please source some better comparison pictures?

the last ones a good start, but the rest are highly questionable, looks almost like direct grabs versus stream grabs.

Anyone with a good hd capture card and the ps3 version already installed want to chime in?, i really dont want to download the beta a third time

I searched a lot for it but couldn't really find other pictures, sadly. Perhaps we will have to wait for DF.

AnthonyW86 said:
walsufnir said:

let's take a look at the two consoles with a way higher install base, PS3 and 360.

You're saying that like it makes the two platforms more important, but in fact the sales of these two versions will pale in comparison to ps4/XOne versions.

They are not the most important but we shouldn't forget that the last-gen systems will account for a lot customers so I think the comparison has to be done.

And no, last gen there was close to never parity clause (although we all know that parity clause means a totally different thing than what you want to imply here, right?).

walsufnir said:
AnthonyW86 said:
walsufnir said:

They are not the most important but we shouldn't forget that the last-gen systems will account for a lot customers so I think the comparison has to be done.

And no, last gen there was close to never parity clause (although we all know that parity clause means a totally different thing than what you want to imply here, right?).

I kind of feel like it doesn't really matter anymore at this point, most people that are going to play the game on PS3/X360 already own one of the systems so it's not going to help to decide what system to pick up.

On a side note i do not agree with some people here saying the PS3>PS4 jump being bigger is something positive, it's mainly because the PS3 version looks much worse. A game looking worse on your old platform of choice isn't something to brag about.

AnthonyW86 said:

I kind of feel like it doesn't really matter anymore at this point, most people that are going to play the game on PS3/X360 already own one of the systems so it's not going to help to decide what system to pick up.

On a side note i do not agree with some people here saying the PS3>PS4 jump being bigger is something positive, it's mainly because the PS3 version looks much worse. A game looking worse on your old platform of choice isn't something to brag about.

But it looking much better on the new one, better than the competitions, is.

walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:
Oh yes! How times change... Nowadays it's all about the eyes, the size of the screen and spec-sheets, repeated over and over and over while most of those who post the "facts" don't know what they are talking about

Nope. This gen is all about games too, but for some reason AA and A don't count because they're not big devs who publish on xbox and instead chose ps4

Where does this come from? Context to this thread? If it was all about the games, WiiU would lead. Massively. Just with Virtual Console you get a lot of games with immense quality. Don't try to shift AA and A games in this thread - btw, how much of an issue were these games last gen?

This is just a reaction of the stupid "$system has no gaemz!!" and an unwanted one. The majority of people (over 82 million 360) didn't buy a 360 because of Xbox live arcade, they bought it because of the AAA games.

Context to the thread? I'm just following a conversation within the thread that you were involved in. I don't know why you suddenly can't tolerate your own off topic conversation just cuz I put in my opinion.

...But you're right. It is a reaction to the " stupid '$system has no gamez!!'" comment....because I'm reacting to what you just said.

"The majority of people (over 82 million 360) didn't buy a 360 because of Xbox live arcade, they bought it because of the AAA games."

Halo 3 X360 2007 7.82 2.78 0.13 1.19 11.92

Halo: Reach X360 2010 6.86 1.89 0.08 0.76 9.58

Halo 4 X360 2012 6.26 2.09 0.04 0.68 9.08

Gears of War 2 X360 2008 4.1 1.89 0.06 0.63 6.68

Halo 3: ODST X360 2009 4.27 1.32 0.06 0.6 6.24
18 Gears of War X360 2006 3.51 1.87 0.07 0.6 6.04
19 Gears of War 3 X360 2011 3.95 1.54 0.07 0.48 6.04

Forza Motorsport 3 X360 2009 2.94 1.87 0.1 0.5 5.41

Fable III X360 2010 3.5 1.05 0.05 0.36 4.97

Forza Motorsport 4 X360 2011 1.88 1.85 0.06 0.43 4.23

Forza Motorsport 2 X360 2007 2.32 1.26 0.03 0.4 4.02

total: 74.21

Even under the assumption that each person only bought one AAA exclusive game, not even all of them combined make up the total sold. (even if you add Call of duty and kinect sports, it's under 2 games per person). I guess I should also take this time to clarify to you how this works because I'm sure you're spinning at this point. Notice how in the franchises above, all the sales are relatively the same? This is the same on every console, from zelda to uncharted. It's because people who buy the one game end up buying the others. What the numbers above ACTUALLY show, is that you have (assuming no cross purchasing) roughly 20-26m people who bought the system for these games. So in reality, your argument is not only easily defeated (with the total sales above) but really quite ignorant and wrong (based on the deeper analysis)

Now I'm not a betting man. Wait, yes I am. Anyway, I'm a betting man, and I will bet that even if you add ALL the AAA exclusives and multiplats, separate them by franchise, and populate their fanbase, you would just barely pass 100m.

I am so confident that you are completely and utterly wrong, that I would bet a lifetime ban on it.

Oh, unless you simply meant to say "people didn't buy [it] because of indies, they bought it because of the value of the overall system which includes the games, the performance of the multiplats over the competitor, the range of features, the price, etc"...then I would have to agree. In fact, this is the same reason why people are buying ps4, and why people bought ps2. There is no irony in any of these sales. There is no goalpost shifting or switching like you imply when you agree that ps fans care about one thing one gen and something else another gen. There is value. Period.

PS: I never said the majority bought a 360 because of arcade. That's a strawman argument.