By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So why are people OK with ads on the 360/One dashboard?

Are you OK with ads on you console?`

Yup 60 13.16%

Nope 311 68.20%

Indifferent 54 11.84%

See results 29 6.36%

Total:454
VanceIX said:
wilco said:

You make it seem like your traversing the amazon to get to the games tab. Its two maybe three clicks of the d-pad and one click of the a button.  You do realize you can just ignore the ads right?

Look if your issue is that you are against the ads from a principled standpoint I get that. I agree with that. But if your reason for not liking the ads is because it makes it difficult to navigate then I think thats BS. 

For me personally, even if there were no ads I would still prefer for things to be sectioned off into their own corners where I click them when I want to see them. I don't want my games or movies or music just automatically loaded. Give me tabs for games , movies, music and if I want to expand I can navigate to that section. This is why I hate the ps4 interface. If I have played 10 games it just loads them all up like ducks in a row as soon as I boot up. That is annoying because a lot of times it keeps games that I've only borrowed and don't even have anymore directly on the main page where they are just taking up space for not reason.

When did I say I found it hard to navigate? I said that it would be nice to be able to put my own content on the homescreen and adjust it like that, instead of being met with a bunch of ads as soon as I turn it on.

Look, if you like to make Microsoft some extra cash which they don't really need, that's fine. Don't expect everyone to be exactly like you. The majority of the people in the poll just said they don't appreciate ads. I don't care if it is still easy to navigate, I already said in the OP that I paid $300 for my console and $60 more per year for network and I still got ads. Or did you not bother to read it?

You know btw, as much as I'm not a fan of the adverts being there.... it is a way that MS found ways to generate revenue from people like... Coors light for example in my picture taken about 20 mins which is then injected into their gaming bank balance, I actually like that, I'm not sure how much money comes from it but if it helps keep the department who makes games profitable... then I'm fine with that tbh.

Last year I seen a pretty sad thing advertised in the corner on my 360 dashboard, was an ad for the Xperia phone from the bond films... literally Sony paying money to MS because they have implemented the platform to advertise to gamers there, I thought that was very strange that Sony hadn't just gone and advertised it on their own systems dashboard.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

This is silly and seriously a perfect of example of a first world problem. These "ads" are hardly intrusive and in most cases are relevant and interesting to me. For example, when a new games with gold comes out it's put front and center for me to download. If there is a super sale it notifies me on the front page. At the same time, I can always access my primary game, (the game in the DVD drive), and pinned apps on the pinned tile. I only have an issue with one ad and it's the bottom right hand corner that sometimes plays loud sounds when I hover over it accidentally but otherwise I have no issues with it.

I love the ads! I enjoy the nice "noise" they provide... the PlaySatation cross bar can get a little "lonely." Plus I would have missed out on some great indie games/deals if the ads were not there. It's not like you are forced to watch a 1-2 min commercial or anything.

ganoncrotch said:

You know btw, as much as I'm not a fan of the adverts being there.... it is a way that MS found ways to generate revenue from people like... Coors light for example in my picture taken about 20 mins which is then injected into their gaming bank balance, I actually like that, I'm not sure how much money comes from it but if it helps keep the department who makes games profitable... then I'm fine with that tbh.

Last year I seen a pretty sad thing advertised in the corner on my 360 dashboard, was an ad for the Xperia phone from the bond films... literally Sony paying money to MS because they have implemented the platform to advertise to gamers there, I thought that was very strange that Sony hadn't just gone and advertised it on their own systems dashboard.

It's just the fact that Microsoft is already making a killing from the $60 subscription for Gold, but then tries to make even more revenue by pushing ads to paying customers, with no opt-out. Even really bad F2P games on mobile don't show ads once you pay to get rid of them. No option here.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Mad55 said:
Lol makes the dashboard feel alive honestly. Rather have this than something like the ps3's barren interface.
Goatseye said:
Euphoria14 said:

Oh yea, your advice is "don't buy it"? Well, he didn't buy an XBox One, and his 3-year old 360 used to not have a homescreen like it has now. Can't give him "don't buy it advice" when he already bought it, and well before it was hit with the Metro interface.

I tell him to sell it then.

I don't like the bland PS interface, so I never bought it. If I was given one I would SELL IT.

No bitching for me on forums. You like? Do it.

But he asked for my opinion, there it is. Don't like it? Oh well.

1st amendment is a beautiful thing, a double edged sword.

Disclaimer: The following image is made in jest and has no intent of insulting any users quoted herein, on the thread on which it is posted, anyone on the VGChartz forum, anyone on the Internet, any Human Being or Concious Entity on Earth or anywhere in the Universe, as well as all possible realities. If anyone has an issue with said image and believe it to be flaming in anyway shape or form please PM and I will remove the GIF as soon as possible. If you have the ability to send me a Moderation Warning, please do so before pursuing more serious disiplinary action.

Literally thousands of themes, on this one site: http://www.ps3-themes.com/

And there are many more sites.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

-SNIP-

LOL. I died at the GIF.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mad55 said:
Lol makes the dashboard feel alive honestly. Rather have this than something like the ps3's barren interface.
Goatseye said:
Euphoria14 said:

Oh yea, your advice is "don't buy it"? Well, he didn't buy an XBox One, and his 3-year old 360 used to not have a homescreen like it has now. Can't give him "don't buy it advice" when he already bought it, and well before it was hit with the Metro interface.

I tell him to sell it then.

I don't like the bland PS interface, so I never bought it. If I was given one I would SELL IT.

No bitching for me on forums. You like? Do it.

But he asked for my opinion, there it is. Don't like it? Oh well.

1st amendment is a beautiful thing, a double edged sword.

Disclaimer: The following image is made in jest and has no intent of insulting any users quoted herein, on the thread on which it is posted, anyone on the VGChartz forum, anyone on the Internet, any Human Being or Concious Entity on Earth or anywhere in the Universe, as well as all possible realities. If anyone has an issue with said image and believe it to be flaming in anyway shape or form please PM and I will remove the GIF as soon as possible. If you have the ability to send me a Moderation Warning, please do so before pursuing more serious disiplinary action.

GTFO with that shit lol. 

It used to be ad free, but changed when Kinect came around.....

I'm NOT okay with the ads, that's one reason why I leave my XB 360 disconnected. Looks funny seeing blank gray tiles, but I really hate the ads. This is one big reason why I went PS4 over XB1.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mad55 said:

OK, now that was beautiful XD

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Not a fan of the adds either. However it's scary the reasoning some people have and how easy it is for people to justify and roll over.