By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So why are people OK with ads on the 360/One dashboard?

Are you OK with ads on you console?`

Yup 60 13.16%

Nope 311 68.20%

Indifferent 54 11.84%

See results 29 6.36%

Total:454
VanceIX said:

A political debate is a can't-miss deal? Most of the ads are for new, full-priced games/movies or even non-gaming, only the minority are for sales.

To me?  Yeah.

What about 30-60% off entire publishers IPs they offer monthly?

There are Arcade games that comes under the radar that only gets noticed when it's featured.

I would never know about Guacamelee for example. There are always sales it's not about minority or majority, it's about frequency.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Goatseye said:
tinfamous12 said:
I love the ads. They basically tell you what Xbox Live is offering in the store. I think they look really nice and add some diversity to the dashboard.

Its really not a big deal or something to get all bent outta shape about.

I mean wouldn't you like to know if there is a deal out there? I would.

A political debate is a can't-miss deal? Most of the ads are for new, full-priced games/movies or even non-gaming, only the minority are for sales.

I wouldn't say it was a 'Can't Miss Deal".  I'd say it was something that was being shown live for free on the Xbox 360's live event viewer and some users might have been interested in viewing it.  I know people have differing opinions but I think it's good for a console that can do multiple things to tell you some of the things it can do.  Otherwise, I'd be missing out on something I'd potentially enjoy.

And I missed that debate live.  When I heard that Obama kinda talked shit (That is such an old pic, btw!) I went back and watched it on my Xbox. Glad I had the option just like I watched E3 on it. It's not a bad thing.

d21lewis said:

I wouldn't say it was a 'Can't Miss Deal".  I'd say it was something that was being shown live for free on the Xbox 360's live event viewer and some users might have been interested in viewing it.  I know people have differing opinions but I think it's good for a console that can do multiple things to tell you some of the things it can do.  Otherwise, I'd be missing out on something I'd potentially enjoy.

And I missed that debate live.  When I heard that Obama kinda talked shit (That is such an old pic, btw!) I went back and watched it on my Xbox. Glad I had the option just like I watched E3 on it. It's not a bad thing.

Thank you!!!!

wilco said:
ganoncrotch said:
wilco said:
I don't see what the big deal is. Is it that much of a burden to click on the games tab and see all your games? If you really had a lot of games they wouldn't fit there anyway.

Lol. Hello, you have no idea about the layout of the xbox360 dashboard.

I've had a 360 that I use regularly for six years so I'm pretty sure that I do.

The panels which are set aside for advertisments do not change to show you your games from the "my games" tab regardless of having any number of retail or arcade titles, much in the same way that if you have a lot of music saved to your hard drive you dont have random mp3's around your dashboard...

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Goatseye said:
VanceIX said:

To me?  Yeah.

What about 30-60% off entire publishers IPs they offer monthly?

There are Arcade games that comes under the radar that only gets noticed when it's featured.

I would never know about Guacamelee for example. There are always sales it's not about minority or majority, it's about frequency.

Look, the majority of the ads I see on my screen have nothing to do with deals, and nor is it that frequent either. 4 ads being about non-gaming items and 1 ad on a sale is still horrible. And a political debate is the last thing on most peoples' minds when they turn on their Xbox to game.

You may love the ads, but I see them as a disrespect to consumers. Microsoft could have easily made them opt-out so people like you who seem to like ads can keep them, while people that don't can use that extra space for more productive uses.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

I'm absolutely sick and tired of the bullshit ads which clog up my dashboard on my 360, and absolutely disgusted that Microsoft feels that this is totally OK.

I can't believe that they show ads to paying customers. I had Live Gold for a year and a half on my 360, and didn't bother renewing it in part because Microsoft decided it is a OK to show non-gaming related ads on my dashboard, even if I am paying $60 a year for network along with buying games on the console.

I just don't get how people haven't petitioned Microsoft to get rig of the ads? I mean, it's an even bigger problem than always-on Kinect was, because Microsoft actually collects your info across multiple devices to build an advertising experience tailored for the average person, which is just as scary as always-on Kinect. I mean, you can choose to opt-out of targeted ads (you'll still get ads though), but does the average consumer really know how, or even bother? There's even articles on Microsoft using user data to build political ads, which is just sickening, imo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/07/microsoft-is-using-your-data-to-target-political-ads-on-xbox-live/

Sorry that I'm getting worked up about this, I just booted up my 360 for the first time in two months to play some Halo 4 with friends and got a facefull of ads. At least on the other consoles, ads only display on small parts of the screen in seperate sections (I haven't noticed a single obtrusive non-gaming related ad on my PS4, PS3, or Wii U), but on my 360 it looks like there are more ads for games and even non-games than there are my own tiles for my content. 

Some examples:

The majority of the screen is taken up by Microsoft's ads. 

It's because 90% of the population are weak willed nobodies who will never amount to anything but corporate slaves.

I think it's frustrating when people defend these corporate shit moves. I can understand paying Live Gold to play online since it's a service, but paywalls for watching Netflix like they had? Paying and seeing ads? How can they be ok with that? Just because magazines do this? At least, F2P games don't have adsense when you pay for them. Come on...

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

The blades shall be solely missed

It's MS.....it's how they roll. people will defend it no matter what, MS tried to kill game ownership and people defended that and are still buy xbox's despite them showing there hand of "Their" future.

Goatseye said:
tinfamous12 said:
I love the ads. They basically tell you what Xbox Live is offering in the store. I think they look really nice and add some diversity to the dashboard.

Its really not a big deal or something to get all bent outta shape about.

I mean wouldn't you like to know if there is a deal out there? I would.

Most of the ads are not even deals, unless Obama debates are a deal.