By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Q4 FY2014 Earnings: 1.1m Xbox One + 360 shipped, $4.61 billion profit (down 7.1% from year earlier), Xbox revenue up 14% to $104m

BenVTrigger said:

Yeah honestly I dont think many people on GAF have any idea how good some of the sales discussion on here can be. Chartz numbers are off sonetimes so the whole forum gets a bad stigma but un terms of understanding the business side of the industry we are far ahead of them.

The problem is that people take VGC numbers too seriously, when they are to be taken as rough estimations only.

As always when this comes up, Ill post this - http://www.vgchartz.com/article/82746/editorial-why-it-is-so-easy-to-blame-vgchartz/

"What VGChartz offers is timely data that isn't meant to be 100% accurate but be in the right range. We don't compete with the likes of NPD, GFK or ChartTrack; we offer a service that is totally different. One that is not based on comprehensive and direct retail tracking, but rather uses modern and alternative methods to quickly arrive at estimates, combined with a database of historical sales - constantly adjusted and tweaked to be as accurate as possible."

"However, even with the greatest of diligence, our data is still just an estimate so whenever quoting a figure from VGChartz it should be listed as an estimate and readers should be made aware that there is a margin of error associated."

-

Really good editorial from Brett. Its just a shame that so many people refuse to accept the numbers for what they are.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

Yeah honestly I dont think many people on GAF have any idea how good some of the sales discussion on here can be. Chartz numbers are off sometimes so the whole forum gets a bad stigma but in terms of understanding the business side of the industry we are far ahead of them.

Well, I've just risked a ban because I really don't like the way they assume people here are sheep:

If only some of you guys would visit the forum at a certain banned site, instead of thinking of the site as a whole, you wouldn't be surprised by this news at all. Forget the main site, the guys over there are pretty savvy when it comes to reality.

These numbers don't surprise me at all.

And before I get the usual reply: FORUM, not, SITE.

The PS5 Exists. 

sully1311 said:
This is an example from GAF:

"Aren't the numbers shipped? So they could have shipped zero Xb1s for the whole quarter? Seems unlikely though?"

They do know they released a new SKU in this quarter right?

Holy shit theres people that think MS shipped 1.1 million Xbox 360s?!

BenVTrigger said:
But anyways while the Xbox number is certainly lower than Im sure MS was hoping its not surprising really given current sales patterns.

has the new sku kind of set a new baseline of attraction?  or is it starting to trail off to the numbers before june?

i remember you said they were pretty close in june and it was a decent fight, but its been a while now

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

VGChartz has 1.138M for the sold-to-consumers Xbox family sales.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
BenVTrigger said:

Yeah honestly I dont think many people on GAF have any idea how good some of the sales discussion on here can be. Chartz numbers are off sometimes so the whole forum gets a bad stigma but in terms of understanding the business side of the industry we are far ahead of them.

Well, I've just risked a ban because I really don't like the way they assume people here are sheep:

If only some of you guys would visit the forum at a certain banned site, instead of thinking of the site as a whole, you wouldn't be surprised by this news at all. Forget the main site, the guys over there are pretty savvy when it comes to reality.

There are some smart people here on the forum, but that intelligent discussion gets drowned out by a lot of trolling that moderators don't do a good enough job of regulating. I've seen troll threads from delusional users go on for months without bans or thread locking. The bans aren't even that harsh, either.

GribbleGrunger said:

Not worth it, dont go getting yourself banned on another site just to defend this one. The history between VGC and GAF is long and it wont ever change (on both sides) for numerous reasons, thats just the way it is.

DD_Bwest said:
BenVTrigger said:
But anyways while the Xbox number is certainly lower than Im sure MS was hoping its not surprising really given current sales patterns.

has the new sku kind of set a new baseline of attraction?  or is it starting to trail off to the numbers before june?

i remember you said they were pretty close in june and it was a decent fight, but its been a while now

He said they were close back when the new SKU just released. The sales dropped off a cliff afterwards.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Carl2291 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Not worth it, dont go getting yourself banned on another site just to defend this one. The history between VGC and GAF is long and it wont ever change (on both sides) for numerous reasons, thats just the way it is.

Too late.

What I would really love to know is how many consoles Microsoft plans to ship to Japan this quarter. First week sales in Japan will be fun (or not lol)