By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft ever win a gen?

Aura7541 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Evidence: See 6th, 7th, 8th console generations.

I do hope this helps.

I'm sorry, but pointing the finger at the other company saying "they did it, too" without evidence doesn't work at all. Seeing the 6th to 8th console generations work even less. Yes, there were apparently a 6th, 7th, and 8th generation of consoles. So what? This among the most vague replies I've ever seen.

When did I ever say "they did it too"? You continue to convince me you've drunkenly stumbled into the wrong thread or something. The only person here who ever made any such claim was you claiming Sony never did such and such and blah blah. Of course, any gamer knows that to be false. I honestly think you just took the post about Sony buying a gen and losing billions the wrong way. Only explanation for such lulz.

Around the Network

I doubt it.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

It sure does not look like it will, but Microsoft have a lot of small victory in the gaming business and especially with the 360. If it the 360 did not suffer from RROD and the bad pr it caused Microsoft would have probably ended as the winner of last gen. So yeah it's possible.

Captain_Tom said:

- I have owned ALOT of tablets, and none of them comes close to the Surface in quality. MS actually worked with tablets long before Apple entered the market: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC.  What you are talking about is packaging, Apple made tablets popular by creating an image around them. MS primarily made the software but it just goes to show that they have been dedicated to this area for a very long time.

Yeah MS made tablets, and they were heavy, weak garbage.  iOS is exactly what people wanted.  Maybe not you, but most people.  It is not just the image lol because android tablets also destroy surface in sales.

- Once again, you are missing that MS has beenin the smartphone/PDA bussines longer than Apple or Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone. And btw, they bought Nokias phone division! That is not leeching, that is commitment to the industry.

Again you don't get the difference.  They tried some crappy abomination no one wanted, and then Apple/Google stepped in and made something good.  Then, once they saw what worked they copied it as best they could while adding a few unimportant.

- In what way was the original XBox a "me too"-device? It was the first console with a built in harddrive, they revolutionzed online gaming with XBL and offered broadband out of the box. They also started years befored, by making the operating system for Dreamcast, just as how Sony got into the industry by first collborating with Nintendo. So by your way of reasoning, Sony are leechers aswell?

The PS2 came out nearly 2 years before the Xbox and had the option of an HDD.  Otherwise the Xbox was the same thing except with a unified online component (The only original thing they came up with).

On the other hand the PSOne was the first console to really advertise gaming to Adults (Something Xbox copied like crazy).  You can thank Sony for correctly asserting that there are adults out there who want mature experiences.

I do not question that MS copies ideas from others (everyone does) but seeing at things like Kinect, they are also pushing the industry forward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nlk6HhDpDw.

Kinect was the correct(ish) implementation of the Eye Toy.  It's too bad they never followed through on it.

So you agree Apple and Google "leeched" of MS´s work then, only improving on it and packaging it better?

Sega was ahead of both MS and and Sony with motion gaming in a little title called "Samba De amigo". So you then agree Sony "leeched" of Sega?

I don´t understand this mentality of painting one company as "good" and one as "evil" or "leechers". They are companies, driven by profit where YOU as the customer supply this profit. When a company sees an opportunity to make more profit, they take (case in point, XBL followed by PS+). Neither Sony or MS care about your "feelings", they care about your money and how much of it that can end up in their pocket.

Sony realized the potential in the Video Game industry, and it paid of. Do you seriously think they did it becaue they love gamers and playing video games? The lower-level bosses might do, but the executives look at what potential revenue it can give to the company as a whole longterm and then say "Yay" or "Nay". MS work in the exact same way only on a much larger scale and with a slightly different focus.

no, looking forward to steam OS where my hardware isn't crippled by an OS that hogs resources, and as much as some would want us to believe, MS did not come second last gen either, when the PS4/XB1 launched the PS3 was firmly in second place, not bad for a console that most people ripped to shreds when it launched, the next big thing is VR headsets, over 20 years ago i could only dream of having my own VR headset and now thanks to Oculus, Sony and Samsung VR is literally round the corner, motion gaming was a kickstarter for VR so unless MS thinks VR is just another gimmick not worth wasting time with they better pull their fingers out else they will no doubt get left behind.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Mr Puggsly said:

PS3 caught up because Sony was willing to sacrifice billions and billions of dollars. Hence, they bought a sales lead over the 360.

The biggest reason MS won't win a gen is because they don't care enough. Nintendo is all about gaming. Sony's best thing going might be gaming. Game consoles don't bring in mega profits these days and the market seems to be shrinking.

Any post that starts with this is just going to list some sort of an excuse like always. The point is PS3 caught up, no one gives a shit about the how or the why in 2014. It just is.

So its not worth noting Sony took a massive financial blow to compete with MS? Perhaps that's just a reality you like to ignore.

MS could have have easily stayed ahead if they were willing to sacrifice billions in profit as well. Hence, second place depended on who was willing to buy it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

thismeintiel said:

Unfortuately for MS, you can't buy comsumer demand.

Not true, Sony lost billions and billions of dollars on PS3 simply so it could compete with the 360.

Hence, Sony sacrificed a lot of money to increase demand. That's a fact!

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

as long as microsoft continues to tailor there console for american audiences only, they will never win a gen

There might be a possibility. While it's hard for them to win now, I think they will be second place this generation.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Aura7541 said:

I'm sorry, but pointing the finger at the other company saying "they did it, too" without evidence doesn't work at all. Seeing the 6th to 8th console generations work even less. Yes, there were apparently a 6th, 7th, and 8th generation of consoles. So what? This among the most vague replies I've ever seen.

When did I ever say "they did it too"? You continue to convince me you've drunkenly stumbled into the wrong thread or something. The only person here who ever made any such claim was you claiming Sony never did such and such and blah blah. Of course, any gamer knows that to be false. I honestly think you just took the post about Sony buying a gen and losing billions the wrong way. Only explanation for such lulz.

Right here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6512350

The one drunkenly stumbled into the wrong thread was you considering that you don't even remember your own post that indeed pointed the finger at Sony and said "they did it too". Your comment before is also a testament to that with your sheer vagueness. I asked for specificity and then, you went the opposite way. There's your explanation for "such lulz".