By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft ever win a gen?

Scarphish said:
prayformojo said:
nanarchy said:
prayformojo said:
Ninten78 said:

Do you see Microsoft ever winning a gen or do you think it'll just alternate between Nintendo and Sony?

No and no. This may be their last "console." 

personally I think it could potentially be the last console from all three of them, They cost too much investment wise to develop and market, return too little profit wise and the market is arguably shrinking. though if one was going to stop making consoles I would expect Sony to be the first to pull the ripcord.

Well, Sony is making money and Nintendo will once again, make a lot of money even if the Wii-U continues to sell at it's current pace. MS has a new boss, and the Xbox brand is pretty irrelevant now. Everything they've tried to do so far has been one fuck up after another. Kinect has been ditched as a vision, studios are closing etc. So I wouldn't be shocked if they called it quits in the console wars and left Sony and Nintendo to duke it out next gen.

Ugh i hope not, while i am a "sony pony" i eventually end up with all consoles, i like variety, but i firmly reconise the ps4 is awesome because the x360 pushed it to be.

Maybe Sega or Apple will jump in the ring if MS leaves?

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

No. They got lucky last gen, with Sony stumbling the first year or two, yet still finished last. Sony won't let that happen again. And really, if things don't turn around next year, I can see MS pulling out after this gen. They are already laying the ground work with some of their speech and recent firings within the Xbox division.

And I have to laugh at some MS fans in here talking about MS could win "if they cared enough." Is that how you make yourself feel better about how sales are going? If MS didn't care about winning, they wouldn't have entered the market in the first place. Or lost billions with the Xbox brand. Or cut the price of the Xbox so close to launch. Or gave away their biggest hope of a turnaround, Titanfall, for free for over a month. No, they care. They just can't stop Sony like they wanted to.

Why would anyone buy a console from a company that doesn't care enough? lol.

But yeah... I don't see MS winning this gen and it would be tough to win the next gen. It will definitely take a Sony/Nintendo mistake and something that makes the MS console special. I wouldn't say impossible because of the Wii but extremely unlikely. Especially since it started out with the advantage of releasing a year earlier than the other two and being cheaper than the PS3.

Sega has a better chance right now of winning a gen than Microsoft. The Xbox is done. You will see it as a brand only, promoting mobile games, but they are finished with consoles.

Nope! Next gen, the PS5 will sell the most. Then after that gen, we'll all move to a unified platform. So they won't be competing for marketshare.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Sure.

If they wanted they could just buy a generation. They made too many mistakes with the Xbone reveal and are still suffering for it. Who knows what happens the rest of this gen. Though it is funny to see threads like this talk about how bad Sony started and they eventually passed Xbox yet after what... 9 months this gen is done LOL.

They could pull a 360 and start next gen off early with a bad ass console.

Lol, some of you MS fans are priceless.  Always going on about MS's money, like the Xbox division has full access to it or that investors would even allow them to throw even more cash at console gaming.  The fact is MS has lost billions on Xbox.  The division is still greatly in the red, overall, which is why investors want it gone.  So, yea, they've already tried to buy gens.  Unfortuately for MS, you can't buy comsumer demand.  Same thing they should have learned with the Zune, Vista/8/Phone, Surface, and Bing.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sure.

If they wanted they could just buy a generation. They made too many mistakes with the Xbone reveal and are still suffering for it. Who knows what happens the rest of this gen. Though it is funny to see threads like this talk about how bad Sony started and they eventually passed Xbox yet after what... 9 months this gen is done LOL.

Lol, some of you MS fans are priceless.  Always going on about MS's money, like the Xbox division has full access to it or that investors would even allow them to throw even more cash at console gaming.  The fact is MS has lost billions on Xbox.  The division is still greatly in the red, overall, which is why investors want it gone.  So, yea, they've already tried to buy gens.  Unfortuately for MS, you can't buy comsumer demand.  Same thing they should have learned with the Zune, Vista/8/Phone, Surface, and Bing.

Reading comprehension FTL. Obviously the Xbox division doesn't have full access to it or I wouldn't have said "if they wanted". Hope that helps.

And MS lost billions thanks to getting Live up and running. Not nearly the same thing as trying to "buy gens". A Playstation fan like yourself should know that. After all, did Sony try to buy last gen? Apparently so according to your logic. After all, they lost billions.

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

Reading comprehension FTL. Obviously the Xbox division doesn't have full access to it or I wouldn't have said "if they wanted". Hope that helps.

And MS lost billions thanks to getting Live up and running. Not nearly the same thing as trying to "buy gens". A Playstation fan like yourself should know that. After all, did Sony try to buy last gen? Apparently so according to your logic. After all, they lost billions.

That's funny because I don't recall Sony ever resorting moneyhatting tactics, buying timed exclusives, timed exclusive DLC, and forcing parity. So yeah... reading comprehension FTL, indeed.

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sure.

Reading comprehension FTL. Obviously the Xbox division doesn't have full access to it or I wouldn't have said "if they wanted". Hope that helps..

There are no "if they wanted" here. If they even try to do something like that, it's the end for the xbox division because of huge loss of money, everyone would want the head of this branch.

No, xbox branch don't have access to tons of money (and that's why Xboxfanboys should stop whining on Spencer twitter/xbox demands about buying capcom and Cryteck, they can't) , it's probably the same as sony and less than nintendo.

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sure.

MS is not losing billions on Xbox Live. Michael Pachter said it was pure profit for a long time now. If there were any losses on Xbox Live at all its long gone. I don't see why because Xbox Live was pretty much needed heavily for you to enjoy your 360 through much of the 360 generation. MS locked everyone down beneath it. Xbox Live is a pure profit enterprise because in a generation where no one was going to make people pay for online MS did and succeeded in thrusting us into a future of paid online.

Aura7541 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

That's funny because I don't recall Sony ever resorting moneyhatting tactics, buying timed exclusives, timed exclusive DLC, and forcing parity. So yeah... reading comprehension FTL, indeed.

Yet Sony has done all of that. One hell of a rock you have been living under.