By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does Tropical Freeze sell so bad?

Yeah, if you like 2d platformers you got on WiiU NSMBU, NSMBLU and Rayman Legends. Having Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is nice but not necessary.

Around the Network

Because it's on Wii U.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Because Nintendo franchises are dying a slow agonizing death. All of their main franchises are beginning to fade into the abyss of irrelevancy with the vangaurd of their own destruction being the wii u

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

I only read the first page but its obvious no one really answered your question there.

1)The install base of the Wii U is not large enough for a game like Donkey Kong to sell amazingly well.

2) Having third party attracts keeps loyal Nintendo gamers on Nintendo platforms solely, but also attracts other gamers who primarily like third party and exclusives secondary. The chances are higher that they will actually buy an exclusive if they have the console. If Nintendo has no third party this variable goes out the window.

3) Nintendo needs to revitalize marketing for kids with Donkey Kong because it was mostly kids in the 90's who grew up with Donkey Kong as protagonist.

4) Remember that the possible sales legs of this game might exist because more people will purchase Wii U's down the road. Nintendo doesn't sell Blockbusters. They sell games, so let the sales come.

5) Nintendo needs to sell the DS gamers on the Wii U because that might be Nintendo's saving grace.

amak11 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
People want it on 3DS.

3DS users want everything. Hell they even wanted Mario Kart 8 on it even though it's technically incapable of what the game has to offer without major downgrades. 

I haven't played either Tropical Freeze or Mario Kart 8. But hypothetically, lets say its possible to bring both games to 3DS with scaled back visuals while keeping gameplay intact.

It wouldn't make sense to bring MK8 because Nintendo needs that to move Wii U hardware. Also, they have a tradition of releasing one MK per platform.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to port DK:TF to 3DS. However, saving that port for Nintendo's next handheld platform might be a smarter strategy.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Locknuts said:
curl-6 said:
Platformer oversaturation, small install base, disappointment that it wasn't Metroid.

All of the above. Plus there are other platformers on the system which are better. 

really? which ones would you say are better. The only thing i can think of that comes close is Rayman Legends

Just my opinion of course, but both Legends and SM3DW are better. Tropical Freeze is really good, but just not quite up there for me.

curl-6 said:
Platformer oversaturation, small install base, disappointment that it wasn't Metroid.

This. People were already saturated before Nintendo announced the WiiU. They knew already what type of games are coming to the platform. 

I think it did a decent job for the current situation.
DK just isnt as big as Mario and also not as appealing to casuals.
Considering the small installbase this isnt really anything surprising.
I think it can still sell ~2 Mio. lifetime.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

I didnt even finish the firt one yet, so why should i buy the second one so soon? Maybe in 2-3 years.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Obviously, the first reason, which can be applied to all Wii U games, is that the Wii U is selling very poorly and it affects almost all the games on it.

But the main reason, which is specific to this game, is that DK Tropical Freeze isn't the game that people wanted to see coming from Retro Studio. Doing a straight sequel to a 2D platformer was very underwhelming for people who hoped to see something different from Retro Studio. People expected it to become a studio working on bigger and larger projects instead of being confined to 2D platformers, who are liked, but who have been released in great numbers by Nintendo these last years.

People were amazed by DKCR, but the sequel shouldn't have came so quickly.