By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A New Content Model for Nintendo

RolStoppable said:
phaedruss said:

Ok so with DLC you take some people off of each team that is correct. But who says you only get 3 more games out of the remaining people? Not only that but all games will be on both platforms in the future so you can combine the handheld output with the current console output as well. Not to mention the added value to existing games and you get a lot more content and games all around.

I assumed that quality standards should be maintained, hence only three more games.

As for the combination of console and handheld output, for anyone who owns a Nintendo console and handheld right now, Nintendo's output of games won't feel greater. Only people who only own one or the other will notice a benefit; however, that has nothing to do with your idea.

The output will feel greater because all Nintendo consoles will be getting all of the software that Nintendo puts out. Number of people does not equal quality. In fact, sharing of assets, technology, and other efficiency increasing methods you can do a lot more with less if you have a good base.

Around the Network
phaedruss said:

Bugginess is a whole different thing from cutting out content on purpose to sell as DLC. Nintendo games would be buggier too if they were as complex as Bethesda open world RPGs. All of the other stuff you're talking about is just balance and gameplay issues that can easily be fixed, irrelevant to this conversation.

Majora's Mask is actually a really good example. That was something reusing assets from OoT and was really much easier to produce than an all new Zelda game. That could've easily been an expansion if the infrastructure were there.

On top of that Elder Scrolls games are some of the longest lived games out there due to the modding community. Take that and apply it to Nintendo and you could have some really great content and long lived games.

Complexity has no ground here. Legend of Zelda is as complex to create as Skyrim is, and the difference is one releases with day 1 patches and the other doesn't. Fire Emblem is a perfect example of an RPG, mysteriously Nintendo releases that with next to no bugs. What I'm getting at, you're asking Nintendo drop it's standards (which are f'n high). To release DLC that makes the game seem broken. That's like  me buying a case of beer, without the beer in it and have the guy selling me the bottles individually. I would get plenty pissed. Nintendo has established franchises, they don't need to change conventions cause 7 people want expansions for a single Zelda game

This isn't anything new, it's essentially DLC done right. But major publishers screwed over the practice of DLC in reality and gave it a bad name.

burninmylight said:
This isn't anything new, it's essentially DLC done right. But major publishers screwed over the practice of DLC in reality and gave it a bad name.

It's not entirely new, but it would be a new approach for Nintendo and a new way of doing it.

RolStoppable said:
I was thinking more of, say 100 people work on a game and then 20 of them break off to work on DLC for that game and the rest work on something else. 80 people are still perfectly capable of making a game, they might need to be more efficient but with a good base engine and efficiency they should be able to make another game in about the same amount of time. By the time they get to a team too small to produce games quickly enough you'd be on a new game cycle.

If you have four teams of 100 and are cutting team sizes like that, why not have five teams of 80 people that work on five new games?

Sure why not.

Around the Network
amak11 said:
phaedruss said:

Bugginess is a whole different thing from cutting out content on purpose to sell as DLC. Nintendo games would be buggier too if they were as complex as Bethesda open world RPGs. All of the other stuff you're talking about is just balance and gameplay issues that can easily be fixed, irrelevant to this conversation.

Majora's Mask is actually a really good example. That was something reusing assets from OoT and was really much easier to produce than an all new Zelda game. That could've easily been an expansion if the infrastructure were there.

On top of that Elder Scrolls games are some of the longest lived games out there due to the modding community. Take that and apply it to Nintendo and you could have some really great content and long lived games.

Complexity has no ground here. Legend of Zelda is as complex to create as Skyrim is, and the difference is one releases with day 1 patches and the other doesn't. Fire Emblem is a perfect example of an RPG, mysteriously Nintendo releases that with next to no bugs. What I'm getting at, you're asking Nintendo drop it's standards (which are f'n high). To release DLC that makes the game seem broken. That's like  me buying a case of beer, without the beer in it and have the guy selling me the bottles individually. I would get plenty pissed. Nintendo has established franchises, they don't need to change conventions cause 7 people want expansions for a single Zelda game

Skyrim is a hell of a lot more complex than Zelda or Fire Emblem for that matter. Who said anything about lowering quality standards? I don't think Nintendo's standards are that high anyways, their games have bugs just like anyone else's they just generally release less complex games. Again, I'm not talking about releaseing games with content intentionally cut. You're making a huge strawman here.

You mean like COD or Madden, where the games are so water down now that they suck. This why Nintendo will stay relevant over the years to come is because they do not release a, for example, Mario Kart every year. The game would get old and tired, just like Madden or COD. Releasing the franchise once a system keeps people playing the throughout the hardware's life cycle. Nintendo wants to make GREAT games not just mediocre ones every year. QUALITY over QUANTITY

DolPhanTendo said:
You mean like COD or Madden, where the games are so water down now that they suck. This why Nintendo will stay relevant over the years to come is because they do not release a, for example, Mario Kart every year. The game would get old and tired, just like Madden or COD. Releasing the franchise once a system keeps people playing the throughout the hardware's life cycle. Nintendo wants to make GREAT games not just mediocre ones every year. QUALITY over QUANTITY

No the exact opposite of COD or Madden. Read the OP. You would have your base Mario Kart 8 game and it would get SUPPORT throughout the entire generation. New tracks, new modes, characters, etc. etc. So with Nintendo's new approach I think the idea of a console "generation" might get blurred a little bit, but I think a base of 3 or 4 or 5 years, depending on the game, would be good.

RolStoppable said:
phaedruss said:

Yes this thread is about that. This wouldn't reduce the number of game releases either. It would increase them while also increasing the amount of overall content they release as well. Please read everything that I've said.

Let's see. For argument's sake, Nintendo has 100 developers that are divided into four teams of 25 people. Without DLC, two development cycles will result in eight games of the expected quality standards.

With DLC, we first have four completed games from one development cycle. Now six people of each team will work on DLC for the released games, leaving 76 people to work on new games. 76/25=3, so three more games are made in the second development cycle, bringing the total to seven. That's one game less.

Do you understand? The number of game releases won't magically increase when smaller teams have to work on DLC. The opposite is the case. And since Nintendo has more than four development teams, the decrease in the number of released games will be greater than in the above example.

You clearly have no idea how game development works. You don't necessarally need a full working team the moment a project starts. It's only around the final stages of development, when you have art direction, game design and the whole project vision set in stone that game developers are need the most. That's why Captain Toad is being developed alongside the new Mario game. The next project won't be needing 100 devs working at the same time anytime soon. Meanwhile, the rest of the team is working on an easier to develop game, which could be DLC, as the OP is suggesting. 

Arkhandar said:
RolStoppable said:
phaedruss said:

Yes this thread is about that. This wouldn't reduce the number of game releases either. It would increase them while also increasing the amount of overall content they release as well. Please read everything that I've said.

Let's see. For argument's sake, Nintendo has 100 developers that are divided into four teams of 25 people. Without DLC, two development cycles will result in eight games of the expected quality standards.

With DLC, we first have four completed games from one development cycle. Now six people of each team will work on DLC for the released games, leaving 76 people to work on new games. 76/25=3, so three more games are made in the second development cycle, bringing the total to seven. That's one game less.

Do you understand? The number of game releases won't magically increase when smaller teams have to work on DLC. The opposite is the case. And since Nintendo has more than four development teams, the decrease in the number of released games will be greater than in the above example.

You clearly have no idea how game development works. You don't necessarally need a full working team the moment a project starts. It's only around the final stages of development, when you have art direction, game design and the whole project vision set in stone that game developers are need the most. That's why Captain Toad is being developed alongside the new Mario game. The next project won't be needing 100 devs working at the same time anytime soon. Meanwhile, the rest of the team is working on an easier to develop game, which could be DLC, as the OP is suggesting. 

This as well, you don't need the whole team at all times. Thanks for some nice input :D