By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A New Content Model for Nintendo

Arkhander brought up the idea of the game as a platform which got me thinking about Nintendoland. What if instead of Nintendoland you had say Kirbyland. Instead of the attractions you'd have those doors that are in kirby games in a 3D space, but you could have a 2D kirby game in there and then kirby's epic yarn in another and some kind of 3D kirby incarnation etc. You'd also have prizes and stamps in Nintendoland which would be really cool.

Around the Network

To be honest I think Nintendo should do whatever they like really. They aren't thick in the skull. Had one fuck up after many years of having a fantastic time. I know they have been talking about same OS and all that, but that's where Hybrid comes to mind for me. Just bring both the consoles together and make them play as many of the same games as possibly and cut the game droughts. Saying that Sony are just as bad with Vita, fuck all line-up coming for it, but avoiding quite months is what you want to do and Nintendo have probably done the best attempt in a long time. Respect to them=.

I love a discussion on idea on what maybe they should do, but at the same time I would rather them be completely unexpected with it. I wanna be surprised in a fantastic way just like this years E3, not expect nearly 80% of the console.

phaedruss said:
Arkhander brought up the idea of the game as a platform which got me thinking about Nintendoland. What if instead of Nintendoland you had say Kirbyland. Instead of the attractions you'd have those doors that are in kirby games in a 3D space, but you could have a 2D kirby game in there and then kirby's epic yarn in another and some kind of 3D kirby incarnation etc. You'd also have prizes and stamps in Nintendoland which would be really cool.

I don't know if that specifically would be a great idea because it would break the continuity and overall coercion of the game. What I meant by turning software into a "platform" is that there are multiples ways to monetize the software beyond its initial purchase, while maintaning a good base game of course.

But now that you speak of Nintendo Land, you remind me of its wasted potential as the perfect pack-in game. Like I said earlier, expansions would be great for more mini games, stages and even more franchises represented in the game. I don't know if Nintendo realises this but my young sisters fell in love with the Pikmin mini game, and the moment I told them that Pikmin 3 was coming out they were delighted. If not for Nintendo Land I would never have purchased Pikmin. Nintendo could in little ways actually market they're new and VC games through the Nintendo Land plaza hub.

Arkhandar said:
phaedruss said:

I don't know if that specifically would be a great idea because it would break the continuity and overall coercion of the game. What I meant by turning software into a "platform" is that there are multiples ways to monetize the software beyond its initial purchase, while maintaning a good base game of course.

But now that you speak of Nintendo Land, you remind me of its wasted potential as the perfect pack-in game. Like I said earlier, expansions would be great for more mini games, stages and even more franchises represented in the game. I don't know if Nintendo realises this but my young sisters fell in love with the Pikmin mini game, and the moment I told them that Pikmin 3 was coming out they were delighted. If not for Nintendo Land I would never have purchased Pikmin. Nintendo could in little ways actually market they're new and VC games through the Nintendo Land plaza hub.

Yea I love Nintendoland. I'd really like new prizes and new minigames heh.

Edit: I'd like to add that with the idea of Kirbyland they wouldn't have to release full retail releases then, they'd just add new types of kirby games to the base kirbyland game.

Nintendo should just stay being Nintendo. Childish, ignorant and very slow adapting to change. This is what made Nintendo so succesfull.

Around the Network
Kallumsmarties said:

To be honest I think Nintendo should do whatever they like really. They aren't thick in the skull. Had one fuck up after many years of having a fantastic time. I know they have been talking about same OS and all that, but that's where Hybrid comes to mind for me. Just bring both the consoles together and make them play as many of the same games as possibly and cut the game droughts. Saying that Sony are just as bad with Vita, fuck all line-up coming for it, but avoiding quite months is what you want to do and Nintendo have probably done the best attempt in a long time. Respect to them=.

I love a discussion on idea on what maybe they should do, but at the same time I would rather them be completely unexpected with it. I wanna be surprised in a fantastic way just like this years E3, not expect nearly 80% of the console.

Hybrids will be a though sell simply because the consumer clearly wants diffrent experiences on different occasions. To cut it short, handhelds are for short burts of single-player gameplay ( "in the same room"), while home consoles are for more prolongued sessions of gameplay (with multiplayer or not).

A great example of why this is the case is the Vita. That console failed because it wanted to be a portable home console. It fell short on that because if you wanted a home console experience, you would actually buy a home console (at the same price btw - PS3 was also at $250).

So no, a hybrid console would be a terrible idea. At least at the current state of technology.

Sounds interesting, but I don't think it will be the most wise decision financially.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
Sounds interesting, but I don't think it will be the most wise decision financially.

Why, this would actually make them a lot of money I think.

Arkhandar said:
Kallumsmarties said:

Hybrids will be a though sell simply because the consumer clearly wants diffrent experiences on different occasions. To cut it short, handhelds are for short burts of single-player gameplay ( "in the same room"), while home consoles are for more prolongued sessions of gameplay (with multiplayer or not).

A great example of why this is the case is the Vita. That console failed because it wanted to be a portable home console. It fell short on that because if you wanted a home console experience, you would actually buy a home console (at the same price btw - PS3 was also at $250).

So no, a hybrid console would be a terrible idea. At least at the current state of technology.

Well Nintendo IS going to have a unified OS and architecture meaning that all of their games will be on both platforms according to Iwata unless his words were misinterpreted.

phaedruss said:
Arkhandar said:
Kallumsmarties said:

Well Nintendo IS going to have a unified OS and architecture meaning that all of their games will be on both platforms according to Iwata unless his words were misinterpreted.

Yes, he talked about unified OS, architecture and services, but he specifically mentioned that no, not all of their games will be on both consoles (if we do get 2 and not 3 for example). The games will only be shared in what platforms it makes sense to (ex: Pushmo, DKC, etc.).