By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATE! Megaton Virtual console subscription incoming?! Emily Rogers hinting at secret sauce in that 8.0 3ds update...?

What do you wany?

Unlimited vc access $5 a month 18 21.18%

unlimited vc access $9 a ... 16 18.82%

cross play 39 45.88%

I like to waste money 12 14.12%

Total:85

She doesn't have any kind of inside info on Nintendo... I dunno why people take her so seriously. As far as I can tell she's just a writer for a Nintendo fansite.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
VanceIX said:

I just want digital games linked to an account and not a console ;_;

I know that's what you, me, and most people want but think about it from Nintendo's perspective. Their games more than any other companies games people will buy MULTIPLE times in their lifetime.

*Oh, this game is new I'll buy it. Oh, 7 years later they are releasing it with enhanced music on this new console, I'll buy it now too! Oh, they are rereleasing it 8 years later with an added dungeon that's all new?! I'll buy it now too!*

They make money off of people rebuying their games. If they do the link to account thing, they will lose money in the long run. I predict Steam is going to fall hard in the next 5-10 years because most quality games will have been purchased by Steam clients already and they won't desire to rebuy it because they have it forever.

Trunkin said:
Could it be they're finally linking downloaded content to the account instead of the hardware!? Please, God, let it be...!

Nintendo has been linking your purchases to your account; it's just been linking them to your console as well. I notice that many people refuse to buy any digital content on Nintendo consoles for fear that losing their consoles mean losing their purchases for good (this is not directed at anyone specifically, but I see it at every site that I visit). This is far from true; if you lose your console or decide you want to transfer your content from one to another, you have to contact Nintendo directly and speak to an agent for the Wii U. For the 3DS, there's an app available on the system. It's a cumbersome process, but it can be done, and I have read several success stories of people who were able to recover their digital purchases from stolen consoles.

Would I like for it to be as easy and intuitive as it is on PS3 and 360? Yeah, I would. But still, I don't like the idea of anyone having the false notion that games are only tied to the hardware, and a stolen/broken Wii U or 3DS means you lose everything for good. Nintendo has logs of your digital purchases, and it knows how pissed you'd be if you had to lose them forever.

Maybe finally it will start using Nintendo Network user instead of Friend Code User crap. Anything else is just digging deeper grave

I hope it's Thousand Island, but French is good too.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

the_dengle said:
She doesn't have any kind of inside info on Nintendo... I dunno why people take her so seriously. As far as I can tell she's just a writer for a Nintendo fansite.

This is true What would she possibly know about the update? There may be something, but people shouldn't get their hopes up. 

Around the Network

It can now track our every move. Nintendo's going to make a bundle courtesy of Google. Financial crisis solved!

Bumped for updated rumors! See main post for new info!

Wait, what. Nintendo digital games are linked to the console, not an account? Glad I Nintendon't..

Raziel123 said:
Wait, what. Nintendo digital games are linked to the console, not an account? Glad I Nintendon't..

No they are linked to account just hard to deal with. You can't download them multiple times on multiple devices, but if you lose your hardware you can get your titles.

Hm, a subscription based service with virtual console (and indie) titles would be nice, but please don't tie it with an online mp paywall. That would be terrible.