By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video game franchises that should have stopped at certain point

Today  Iam going to talk about video game franchises that should have stopped at a certain point. There are some franchises that hast developed a good game in a long time. And some achieved the logical ending at a certain game.

If it can make a comeback with an awesome entry like Prince of persia sands of time 2003 or tomb raider 2013 then its most welcome. But for now I am citing games that has lost its appeal.

Ratchet and clank series: IMO a crack in time should have been last ratchet game. It was a great game with great story. Plus story seems like its ending the tale of ratchet and clank. But after that we got very poorly made ratchet and clank games.

God of war series: It should have been ended with god of war 3. After god of war 3 we got one psp and one ps3 game. PSP version was good but ascension was awful. There is no need to more god of war games. Kratos had his vengence in god of war 3 and there it should have ended.

Prince of persia series: After the awesome enty by sands of time (2003) price was back in the mainstream again. It ended the trilogy with two thrones which was awesome. Since then prince of persia series has been giving away mediocore entries.

Devil may cry series: After devil may cry 3 DMC stopped being cool. DMC 4 was awful. And DMC 2013 is a joke comparted to older ones.

I will update OP if I remember any other series.

Around the Network

The Resident Evil franchise should have ended with RE4, because the ONLY good RE game that came out after that one was Revelations!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

The Resident Evil franchise should have ended with REOutbreak, because the ONLY good RE game that came out after that one was Outbreak File # 2!

Fixed.  And it makes sense, because File #2 is an addition of the first game, so makes sense to call it a good game after the last good game released.

Soul Calibur should have ended or gone on a long break after 3.
Crysis should have ended or gone on a long break after 2.
Resident Evil should have ended or gone on a long break after 4.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Final Fantasy. After nine they've been getting lucky with a good game here and there, but the series which was once amazing, has went to overall trash.

Around the Network

Sonic.
Sonic seems to get worse every year. I dont know why they still develop sonic games, he might be one of the most known characters, but the quality of his games has been lacking since years.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

I think Assassin's Creed should have ended as a trilogy. Same goes for Devil May Cry, even though the last one was my favorite. Resident Evil is still a good series but it has little in common with what it began as.

No Franchise should ever have to end. There will always be fans of the games that crave for more. Those who stop to enjoy a game can just stop playing it.

It's a stupid proposition and a slap in the face of any fan of a series.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RealGamingExpert said:
Sonic.
Sonic seems to get worse every year. I dont know why they still develop sonic games, he might be one of the most known characters, but the quality of his games has been lacking since years.

Some may even say the series has never been good.

vivster said:

It's a stupid proposition and a slap in the face of any fan of a series.

Final Fantasy.  *slaps vivster in the face.*

*edit*

*hand turns towards kupomogli.  Tries to hold it off.  SLAP!*

Regardless how bad the series has gotten, can't help but still be a fan and hope something good comes out in the future.  Doubt it, just hopeful.

God of War - To be honest Kratos's story isnt that interesting to me. Just an angry guy blaming the gods for his own actions so for three games he goes on a rampage killing one god after another. THe story shouldve stopped at 3. Frankly i can sum up the story in 2 sentences.

Assassin's Creed - This is more to do with the flood of sequels it has rather than it having sequels. I do believe this is a franchise that could go on for years and year, even today. But calm down with the yearly releases and give us time to miss it. It doesnt have a fantastic multiplayer that changes the expereience every time like Call of Duty or other yearly franchises.

Fable - This may be because im not a big fable fan, but i feel after fable 3 they shouldve left the fable franchise alone. I think that Fable 3 did so much damage to the franchise that even if they made the most amazing fable game in the world it still wouldnt reach its peak again. Fable Legends does look good but im thiking maybe they should of changed a few things and just called it a new ip personally. Luckily Lionhead is working on a new ip but i do hope they leave the fable franchise alone after Legends.

New Super Mario Bros - Honestly I feel NSMB2, U, and Luigi was meh.  Again this has nothing to do with stopping, just dont flood the market in a short period of time. Sure one wouldve been cool, but we didnt need 3 games that are identical as a game we got years ago. And frankly i find other 2D platformers much better than mario now. At least give them difficulty settings

I could think of more but ill leave on that