By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video game franchises that should have stopped at certain point

Fable after 2 and RE after 4. FF after 12.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
jnemesh said:
Easy one...Halo. Should have stuck a fork in it after #3. At the VERY least, it should have died when Bungie split from MS.

Except if you follow the lore, you couldn't be more wrong. We can't get enough of it.

Your right, since Bungie butchered the lore with Reach's massive contraditions to established canon for years, it should have died but luckily Halo 4 made up for it in that department.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
jnemesh said:
Easy one...Halo. Should have stuck a fork in it after #3. At the VERY least, it should have died when Bungie split from MS.

Except if you follow the lore, you couldn't be more wrong. We can't get enough of it.

Your right, since Bungie butchered the lore with Reach's massive contraditions to established canon for years, it should have died but luckily Halo 4 made up for it in that department.

Hey, don't get me wrong...Halo was great...if you like playing with 12 year olds.  I moved on YEARS ago...no interest in looking back.  If I ever get the urge to play Halo, I just load up Halo 4...that cures me pretty quick.

Avro1958 said:
I agree with a series should not have to end, I also agree that more series need to just simply take a break! UC4 will be the last one we see for awhile and I am ok with that IMO every game is gold!

Halo needs to a break badly! Halo 5 and another Halo project being announced along with the MC collection? That franchise is being milked hard!

Mario can keep on doing it's thing! I love Mario! Big fan of the side scrolling platformer!

Gears of War needs a rest after the last one, I loved the first two and it was the main reason I bought a 360 but it's draw is over for me!

The Forza franchise is being milked as well, and could do well with a break!

Again I must take issue with the word "milking" and Halo. The period between Halo 4 and 5 is 3 years. That is 3 years. Anything in between, especially when considering MCC, is purely fan service. The gap between all major Halo releases, except Halo 4 after Reach, is 3 years.

If the quality is there.....why would you complain about getting quality milk? Milk is expensive and MS is giving you milk. Take the milk.

sales2099 said:
Avro1958 said:
I agree with a series should not have to end, I also agree that more series need to just simply take a break! UC4 will be the last one we see for awhile and I am ok with that IMO every game is gold!

Halo needs to a break badly! Halo 5 and another Halo project being announced along with the MC collection? That franchise is being milked hard!

Mario can keep on doing it's thing! I love Mario! Big fan of the side scrolling platformer!

Gears of War needs a rest after the last one, I loved the first two and it was the main reason I bought a 360 but it's draw is over for me!

Again I must take issue with the word "milking" and Halo. The period between Halo 4 and 5 is 3 years. That is 3 years. Anything in between, especially when considering MCC, is purely fan service. The gap between all major Halo releases, except Halo 4 after Reach, is 3 years.

If the quality is there.....why would you complain about getting quality milk? Milk is expensive and MS is giving you milk. Take the milk.

We get it.  You like Halo.  Good for you!  But contrary to your opinion, it IS being milked.  It's YEARS past it's expiration date, and the only reason it's on life support is because without it, MS has no major franchises to help sell their underperforming box.  Halo is kinda like Star Trek, after Roddenberry died.  They keep pumping out TV shows and movies, because it makes money, NOT because there is any creative passion in the producers.

Around the Network
jnemesh said:
sales2099 said:
Avro1958 said:

We get it.  You like Halo.  Good for you!  But contrary to your opinion, it IS being milked.  It's YEARS past it's expiration date, and the only reason it's on life support is because without it, MS has no major franchises to help sell their underperforming box.  Halo is kinda like Star Trek, after Roddenberry died.  They keep pumping out TV shows and movies, because it makes money, NOT because there is any creative passion in the producers.

3 years apart from major releases isn't milked. COD is milked.

Calling Halo on life support is basically saying every PS exclusive that isn't Gran Turismo or from Naughty Dog is beyond life support.....like its allready dead (according to your logic).

Well fun fact is that most people who criticize Halo 4 are those who didnt like the MP, which Ill admit wasn't Halo 4's strong suit. The MP bros vastly outnumber the lore fans. The lore however, was told and done far better then Bungie ever could, especially after Bungie handled Reach......

Tamron said:

1. Uncharted should have stopped at 3

2. Final fantasy should have stopped at 10
3. Gran turismo should have stopped at 4 (GT5 and GT6 seem to suggest it half did)

4. Fallout should stop at 4
5. Elder scrolls should stop at Skyrim

You get the picture.

1. Technically you can't say that unless uncharted 4 turns out to be worse than Uncharted 3. What if it turns out to be the best uncharted ever.
  2. This doesn't apply to FF games since each one is fundamentally different. Every game is basically its own game and independent of all before it, with exception to sharing the names of items or spells or certain characters.
  3. Doesn't apply to games like this either. Its a racing simulator, throw in cars and new tracks and you will always have a new game. Its like saying the should stop making football games cause well, they are all the same.
  4. Again doesn't apply, the only thing the fallout games have in common are their post-apolytic settings.
  5. Doesn't apply either, every game is its own story which just happens on a different continent of the same world. If they were to call each game in the series a different name (which technically they do) and do away with "the elder scrolls" monicker every single iteration of the franchise could have stood on its own. Unless what you are saying is that they should do away with "The elder scrolls Name". Hell, look at Kingdom Come, if that game was called The elder scrolls 6: Kingdom Come, it would fit right in.

Yeah...whatever.  I was done with the lore and the multiplayer both a long time ago.  Enjoy your games....

jnemesh said:

Yeah...whatever.  I was done with the lore and the multiplayer both a long time ago.  Enjoy your games....

I will! :)

jnemesh said:
sales2099 said:

I have to agree with Sales on this one, I do not think Halo is being milked.  When I think of milked, I think of guitar hero, call of duty, battlefield, etc.  Stuff that you see a new main entry in every year (or in the case of guitar hero, every few months, which is why it isn't around anymore...).  Halo has large gaps between it's main games.  If you think Halo is milked then you probably think every established gaming franchise is milked...