By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Mario Kart 8 Isn't Going To Give The Wii U Even 1 Month At 100k+ In The US?

Nintendo's problem is creating a consistent stream of game releases in order to keep numbers up. If they can't do that, then they can't have the higher sales. The price point is a problem, but considering how the Mario Kart 8 bundle is selling out (which is more expensive than the Mario & Luigi bundle) is price the most important factor to Wii U's low sales? I don't think so, they just need to give a better value. They're not getting rid of the Gamepad, people need to stop wishing for that. The best they can do is redesign it to be smaller and less expensive to manufacture, thus reducing the price further for those who don't wanna buy it at its current price.

Mario Kart was probably their biggest deal of the year yet for attracting people into buying the console. Smash bros. won't have that same effect because it's not as popular. I think Holiday sales will be better than last year with more games, but will that translate into a higher baseline for next year outside of the holiday season? Only doing well in the latter part of the year isn't good, they need to do what they can to perform well throughout the entire year.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

Don't shoot the messenger, the tablet pad isn't the controller I'd bank a system on, I'm just looking at it from Nintendo's POV. I also probably think that they came up with the idea for it before Apple released the iPad in spring 2010, and if everyone and their grandma didn't already have a tablet in the house, some of what the Wii U tablet brings to the table may have been fairly novel. 

But as is, put next to "real" tablet, it looks like some cheap kids toy with limited functionality and that certainly isn't helping Nintendo. 

Some of the things are neat though like the ability to share funny Youtube videos on the TV with family/friends ... in a world where an iPad doesn't exist, something like that might be much more of a notable functionality. 

Though I think this whole situation illustrates pretty clearly the dangers of trying to rely on controller gimmicks to sell a console. Sometimes it works, but if it doesn't, you've basically put all your eggs in one basket and now you're screwed. That's the problem with such an approach. 

How was the Gamepad supposed to convey ease of use with all its buttons and sticks? Regardless of the iPad's or other tablets' existence, the Gamepad ran contrary to the Wii's message.

The Wiimote + nunchaku actually has quite a few buttons on it too so does the DS (which is far more successful than the Wii) ... but really, even if you strip the Wii U tablet of both analog sticks and ZL/ZR buttons, is it really going to sell any better? No. 

If a lack of buttons is everything than Kinect should be the controller of choice for most people. 

In actuality I think iPad's multi-touch interface trumps everything (even the Wiimote). I've seen 2-3 year old kids be able to start using it without parental help, my goddaughter for example, while I still have to guide her with the Wii to get into Netflix Kids (she doesn't understand that she has to point the Wiimote at the sensor bar, not the TV), but on her mom's iPhone she was able to almost purchase certain games on her own and can launch into all the games by herself.

Against that ... Nintendo really can't compete. They're a game company they can't develop an OS interface competitevely with the likes of Apple and they can't offer the $1/free game ecosystem either as it runs contrary to their traditional business model. Apple just presents to many headaches for Nintendo, at least with Sony and MS they by and large play by Nintendo's rules. 

The iPad definitely took a giant sh*t on Nintendo's hopes with the Wii U too ... if there was no iPad I have no doubt it would be much better recieved. 

Soundwave said:
noname2200 said:
noname2200 said:
osed125 said:

Soundwave has to be the user who changes opinions the most on this site.

No he isn't.

Yes he is.

To be honest I don't think the Wii U is really that different from the Wii at the same point in their life cycle in terms of software quality. Wii U might honestly be a tad better at the same point ... it just doesn't have the same casual gimmick and Nintendo doesn't have an answer to Apple/Android stealing all theirfickle casual base away. 

I disagree. By this point, Smash bros was out, a brand new zelda, mario galaxy, paper mario, fire emblem, and a metroid in addition to mario kart and other titles like warioware and excite truck. I personally think that is a better lineup than what is out now and probably has more variety. Also, you have to remember the timing of everything. Wii got a lot of these things at launch,  and then in the spring and then the fall and then the following spring. The wiiu was dead for half a year until the fall of 2013 with a great fall lineup. Breing as dead as nintendo was at such a crucial time was ridiculous. Early in the wii's life cycle, we knew about all the great titles on their way. We knew nothing around the launch of the wiiu. All we knew is that they would come eventually. Who wants to drop $350 on "eventually."

TLDR: When comparing the software lineups, you also have to look at when they released in the lifecycle.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
Soundwave said:
noname2200 said:
noname2200 said:
osed125 said:

No he isn't.

Yes he is.

To be honest I don't think the Wii U is really that different from the Wii at the same point in their life cycle in terms of software quality. Wii U might honestly be a tad better at the same point ... it just doesn't have the same casual gimmick and Nintendo doesn't have an answer to Apple/Android stealing all theirfickle casual base away. 

I disagree. By this point, Smash bros was out, a brand new zelda, mario galaxy, paper mario, fire emblem, and a metroid in addition to mario kart and other titles like warioware and excite truck. I personally think that is a better lineup than what is out now and probably has more variety. Also, you have to remember the timing of everything. Wii got a lot of these things at launch,  and then in the spring and then the fall and then the following spring. The wiiu was dead for half a year until the fall of 2013 with a great fall lineup. Breing as dead as nintendo was at such a crucial time was ridiculous. Early in the wii's life cycle, we knew about all the great titles on their way. We knew nothing around the launch of the wiiu. All we knew is that they would come eventually. Who wants to drop $350 on "eventually."

TLDR: When comparing the software lineups, you also have to look at when they released in the lifecycle.

It's actually not as far of a difference and some would make it out be though:

NSMB U + NSLU

Mario 3D World

Nintendo Land

Donkey Kong Country: TF

Mario Kart 8

Wii Sports Club

Wii Fit U

Wii Party U

Mario & Sonic

Wonderful 101

Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Pikmin 3

Game & Wario

Wii Sports

Zelda: TP

Super Mario Galaxy

Mario Kart Wii 

Smash Bros. Wii

Super Paper Mario

Metroid Prime 3

Excite Truck

Wii Fit

Mario Party 7

Fire Emblem

Wario Ware Smooth Moves

I'd agree the Wii has more variety though, the Wii U actually has too many platformers and mini-game comps. But the Wii also benefitted a lot from being able to poach GameCube games ... Twilight Princess is a GameCube game. So was Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. 

If we include games through the end of their respective third Christmas seasons ... the Wii U actually I think comes out on top ... Hyrule Warriors + Super Smash U + Bayonetta 2 is a much stronger third holiday season than Wii Music + Animal Crossing. 

It'll give it a 100k month, it'll just be in November/December so people will claim it was actually Smash Bros.

But by the laws of VGC, Smash Bros isn't a Wii U exclusive and so counts for nothing. Go Mario Kart!!!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

The Wiimote + nunchaku actually has quite a few buttons on it too so does the DS (which is far more successful than the Wii) ... but really, even if you strip the Wii U tablet of both analog sticks and ZL/ZR buttons, is it really going to sell any better? No. 

If a lack of buttons is everything than Kinect should be the controller of choice for most people. 

In actuality I think iPad's multi-touch interface trumps everything (even the Wiimote). I've seen 2-3 year old kids be able to start using it without parental help, my goddaughter for example, while I still have to guide her with the Wii to get into Netflix Kids (she doesn't understand that she has to point the Wiimote at the sensor bar, not the TV), but on her mom's iPhone she was able to almost purchase certain games on her own and can launch into all the games by herself.

Against that ... Nintendo really can't compete. They're a game company they can't develop an OS interface competitevely with the likes of Apple and they can't offer the $1/free game ecosystem either as it runs contrary to their traditional business model. Apple just presents to many headaches for Nintendo, at least with Sony and MS they by and large play by Nintendo's rules. 

The iPad definitely took a giant sh*t on Nintendo's hopes with the Wii U too ... if there was no iPad I have no doubt it would be much better recieved. 

Ease of use is what matters. The Gamepad is simply not a good idea, because it means that people have to change focus between two screens (which is not the same as on the DS where the screens are closely aligned with each other). Its big amount of control inputs only makes matters worse, but scaling down on sticks and buttons still wouldn't solve all problems. As for Kinect, removing buttons entirely makes it a device that is harder to use; using gestures or voice commands even for the simplest things makes it more convoluted than it should be.

So you believe the Gamepad would have been a hit, if there was no iPad? Based on which games?

If there was no iPad/iPhone in general I think Nintendo would be in a much, much better place, they had a lot of their thunder stolen. 

I don't know if the Gamepad would be some blockbuster hit idea, but it's not like the Wii U divorces the Wiimote either ... it's bundled with like 3 major first party releases (lol) and comes bundled with the Wii U in Japan too (and that hasn't helped sales) and is now in the Mario Kart 8 bundle here too. You basically need a Wiimote to play Nintendo Land, and it works with NSMBU, DKC, Pikmin 3, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic, Mario Kart 8, all work fine with a Wiimote. 

The GamePad isn't *that* terrible, I think the Youtube sharing idea for example is actually a really cool and funny feature. I had a group of casuals over at my house and between Nintendo Land (Mario Chase in particular) and sharing Youtube videos on the TV, they had an absolute riot with the machine, everyone was laughing and having a good time. 

But no one wants to spend $300+ on that, not when they all have iPads sitting at home. It's more of a "hey, that's neat and fun" response, not a "holy sh*t, I need this in my life right now" type response. 

I think making a controller that actually can function as a TV remote was a pretty shrewd idea too (the Wiimote should've had this functionality). It's a clever way to get people using the controller all the time. Again though it's no big deal today, any smartphone/tablet can do this, but in 2010 when Nintendo was designing the thing it probably seemed like a pretty cool way to get people to constantly use the controller. 

Soundwave said:
homer said:
Soundwave said:
noname2200 said:
noname2200 said:
osed125 said:

No he isn't.

Yes he is.

It's actually not as far of a difference and some would make it out be though:

NSMB U + NSLU

Mario 3D World

Nintendo Land

Donkey Kong Country: TF

Mario Kart 8

Wii Sports Club

Wii Fit U

Wii Party U

Mario & Sonic

Wonderful 101

Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Pikmin 3

Game & Wario

Wii Sports

Zelda: TP

Super Mario Galaxy

Mario Kart Wii 

Smash Bros. Wii

Super Paper Mario

Metroid Prime 3

Excite Truck

Wii Fit

Mario Party 7

Fire Emblem

Wario Ware Smooth Moves

I'd agree the Wii has more variety though, the Wii U actually has too many platformers and mini-game comps. But the Wii also benefitted a lot from being able to poach GameCube games ... Twilight Princess is a GameCube game. So was Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. 

If we include games through the end of their respective third Christmas seasons ... the Wii U actually I think comes out on top ... Hyrule Warriors + Super Smash U + Bayonetta 2 is a much stronger third holiday season than Wii Music + Animal Crossing. 

I agree with the last statement 100%. Wiiu just peaked at the wrong times imo. Nintendo lost a lot of face at the start of the gen with 3ds and wiiu mess ups. They should have prepared better for launch.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

RolStoppable said:

But let's turn this around. If you think that the Wii U was not made for third parties, then why did Nintendo return to the dual analog controller standard after the successful Wii?

Dual analog sticks make sense for some Nintendo games, but there's no doubt that the clickable analog sticks were made for third parties.

episteme said:
RolStoppable said:

But let's turn this around. If you think that the Wii U was not made for third parties, then why did Nintendo return to the dual analog controller standard after the successful Wii?

Dual analog sticks make sense for some Nintendo games, but there's no doubt that the clickable analog sticks were made for third parties.

The entire pro controller was made for third parties...

I think that Wii U will sell between 100K-120K this month in USA...
With Smash Bros Wii U will sell much more (minimum triple, but for me even more of quadruple) because coming in Chrismas, and in 2015 Wii U will have one constance between 50K-100K and more when resaled the games...
This is my opinion, Wii U isn't doomed.
One console for sell good will sell 30,000,000 more or less, and for me Wii U will sell more.