By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Mario Kart 8 Isn't Going To Give The Wii U Even 1 Month At 100k+ In The US?

drake_tolu said:
I think that Wii U will sell between 100K-120K this month in USA...
With Smash Bros Wii U will sell much more (minimum triple, but for me even more of quadruple) because coming in Chrismas, and in 2015 Wii U will have one constance between 50K-100K and more when resaled the games...
This is my opinion, Wii U isn't doomed.
One console for sell good will sell 30,000,000 more or less, and for me Wii U will sell more.

A console that average 50-100k in non-holiday months for the majority of the year is basically "doomed". That's Dreamcast/bordering Sega Saturn levels of sales. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
drake_tolu said:
I think that Wii U will sell between 100K-120K this month in USA...
With Smash Bros Wii U will sell much more (minimum triple, but for me even more of quadruple) because coming in Chrismas, and in 2015 Wii U will have one constance between 50K-100K and more when resaled the games...
This is my opinion, Wii U isn't doomed.
One console for sell good will sell 30,000,000 more or less, and for me Wii U will sell more.

A console that average 50-100k in non-holiday months for the majority of the year is basically "doomed". That's Dreamcast/bordering Sega Saturn levels of sales. 

No, because Wii U isn't GameCube or Dreamcast, it doesn't cost like one GameCube that have had one monster hardware for 2000, Wii U is no longer sold in loss, Reggie confirmed that now Wii U sell good.

It's really not like the Wii U is some super complex machine.

Give any casual Mario Kart Wii or NSMB player a copy of Nintendo Land and they can play it just fine. Probably have a good deal of fun with it too.

Same goes for Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World is even easier to play than Mario Galaxy, NSMBU, Just Dance, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, etc. etc.

It's not like suddenly Nintendo's games have become hyper complex and gamers are smart enough to not be scared away simply by buttons alone (otherwise things like Nintendogs and Brain Training never would've worked).

The problem Nintendo has is an enthusiasm gap, not an accessibility gap. The Wii U is plenty easy to use and still uses the Wiimote in many of its games (basically any multiplayer game will let you use the Wiimote or even require it).

When playing with casuals I remember hearing that dreaded "you know there's an iPhone mini-game just like this that I got for free" when we were playing some of the games. It's naive to keep saying there's no impact being made here ... consumers, particularly the casual crowd has simply had their eyes opened with far more options today than in 2006 (which is almost *eight* years ago now ... an eternity ago in tech cycles).

I've played the Wii U with some of my friends who don't really like video games but enjoyed the Wii, and they can play the Wii U just fine. They even have a fair bit of fun with it. But none of them want to buy one, not even after playing some Wii Fit mini-games or Wii Sports again. And they actually liked Nintendo Land too, Mario Chase especially. 

Looks like rol won this thread...

RolStoppable said:The Wii U is a dud because there were never any games to back up the Gamepad; and there never will be, because the idea itself is so dumb.

ZombiU

Lego City Undercover

The Wonderful 101

Mario Maker

Four games right there...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:
RolStoppable said:The Wii U is a dud because there were never any games to back up the Gamepad; and there never will be, because the idea itself is so dumb.

ZombiU

Lego City Undercover

The Wonderful 101

Mario Maker

Are you disagreeing, being sarcastic or adding to my point?

You said there were never any games to back up the Gamepad. I just gave you 4...

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

ZombiU

Lego City Undercover

The Wonderful 101

Mario Maker

Are you disagreeing, being sarcastic or adding to my point?

I think he is adding to your point

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

If there was no iPad/iPhone in general I think Nintendo would be in a much, much better place, they had a lot of their thunder stolen. 

I don't know if the Gamepad would be some blockbuster hit idea, but it's not like the Wii U divorces the Wiimote either ... it's bundled with like 3 major first party releases (lol) and comes bundled with the Wii U in Japan too (and that hasn't helped sales) and is now in the Mario Kart 8 bundle here too. 

The GamePad isn't *that* terrible, I think the Youtube sharing idea for example is actually a really cool and funny feature. I had a group of casuals over at my house and between Nintendo Land (Mario Chase in particular) and sharing Youtube videos on the TV, they had an absolute riot with the machine, everyone was laughing and having a good time. 

But no one wants to spend $300+ on that, not when they all have iPads sitting at home. It's more of a "hey, that's neat and fun" response, not a "holy sh*t, I need this in my life right now" type response. 

I think making a controller that actually can function as a TV remote was a pretty shrewd idea too (the Wiimote should've had this functionality). It's a clever way to get people using the controller all the time. Again though it's no big deal today, any smartphone/tablet can do this, but in 2010 when Nintendo was designing the thing it probably seemed like a pretty cool way to get people to constantly use the controller. 

Nobody in their right mind would buy a console to watch Youtube videos, regardless of the iPad's existence. The Wii U is a dud because there were never any games to back up the Gamepad; and there never will be, because the idea itself is so dumb.

As for bundling Wiimotes with the Wii U, that doesn't change the console's image: Wii U is the console with the Gamepad. Remove the Gamepad and things become even worse, because then the question is why the console was made in the first place.

I'd go even further and say trying to replicate or continue the Wii especially in 2012 in any way was a mistake. 

Nintendo was never going to repeat the success of the first Wii, the thing is in a lot of ways what Nintendo never really understood is that a lot of people don't want anything more complex than Wii Sports. 

And that iPhone/Android serves their needs far better. Nintendo had a nice window of oppurtunity from 2006-2009 but that was about it. These people don't want to play a Zelda game, I have a cousin who is pretty much a textbook definition of a casual player, and she asked me to list her some good games to buy for her new Wii and I suggested Mario Galaxy as the best game on the system. 

I remember the look on her face like a week later, lol, she was so frustrated with the game and couldn't even make it past like the first couple of levels and was upset that I had suggested it. I think we wrongly assume that the Wii broke down all barriers ... not really. Wii Sports did, but the thing is many Wii gamers wouldn't be able to play a game like Skyward Sword or Metroid Prime or even Mario Galaxy, it doesn't matter what controller you give them either (short of maybe brain control).

They want games with extremely stripped down play mechanics (ie: in tennis you don't even need to worry about moving your player). Nintendo's hope that they could get this crowd to graduate to different games was ill-founded. It was like assuming the person who likes Transformers movies may eventually become a fan of art house films for example ... and maybe that might even happen once in a blue moon, but the odds are that audience simply likes what they like and want nothing different. 

And in that scenario, Nintendo was always doomed against Apple, because they can't beat Apple for simple/easy to play games on volume, price, or hardware sexiness. 

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

You said there were never any games to back up the Gamepad. I just gave you 4...

So sincerely disagreeing? Okay.

A new Nintendo console's fate rests on the shoulders of an Ubisoft game, a collaboration with Warner Bros. and a first party funded Platinum Games title. After all the aformentioned games failed to do anything of note (what a shock!), Nintendo rolls out a title that will heavily rely on usergenerated content; let's add that one to the list of failures that include Mario Paint, the Mario Artist series (64DD, Japan-only), Wii Music and WarioWare: Do It Yourself.

It's really no surprise that the Wii U is tanking.

The Gamepad has several features. Why does every game have to use every single feature for it to be relevant? Most games use 1 or more unique features of the Gamepad to enhance the gaming experience. Just like every other controller.

Nintendo's launch trajectory for the Wii U was pretty blatantly obvious

Nintendo Land = Wii Sports (the game that shows off the usage of the controller through various family friendly mini-games)

NSMB = Zelda: TP (the big Nintendo sequel to one of their core Nintendo IP, in this case 2D Mario has generally always been a bigger seller than Zelda)

Zombi U = Red Steel (the Western third party launch shooter to show that you can play teh hardcore games on Ninty too).