By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Mario Kart 8 Isn't Going To Give The Wii U Even 1 Month At 100k+ In The US?

How much Wii U sells is irrelevant to me now, my only concern was if Nintendo were going to support the system. We can safely say that Nintendo are throwing everything into it and it will last a normal console lifecycle. I can now kick back, play great games and look forward to the high quality exclusives that are on the horizon. PS, i also think the Wii U will have been profitable in the long run.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

Mario Kart 8 has been out for a little over a month on a console that has sold about 6.5 million units. Are you really comparing that to MKWii thats been out for 6 years on a console with 100 million units sold?

Also MKWii is still selling. Nintendo wont have 10 million sales of a game in the first week. They have long legs though.

Of course I am not. I am comparing sales in the same timeframe from launch and extrapolating lifetime sales from there. I don't think you will disagree when I make the claim that MK8 won't match MK Wii's sales.

Probably not, but that doesnt mean it wont be successful. Percentage wise I think MK8 could beat MKWii though.

RolStoppable said:

MikeRox said:

Nope, it doesn't in the slightest, but if it can get the price of the actual system down to one which people who might be interested in playing successors to games they enjoyed on the Wii would play, it could well be their best shot.

It'd also bring the price down to the point where people can get by the fact that it's not going to have FIFA, GTA etc on it and buy it as a secondary console to play the exclusives.

That didn't work wonders for the GC (which dropped to $99 halfway through its lifecycle), so nobody should expect it to do much for the Wii U. Plus with Amiibo coming this holiday, getting rid of the Gamepad makes no sense now.

Fair point, GC launched at a stupidly low price here in general from day 1. You're right, Wii U is doomed, they should just dump it now and focus on not screwing up the next system.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
RolStoppable said:

MikeRox said:

Nope, it doesn't in the slightest, but if it can get the price of the actual system down to one which people who might be interested in playing successors to games they enjoyed on the Wii would play, it could well be their best shot.

It'd also bring the price down to the point where people can get by the fact that it's not going to have FIFA, GTA etc on it and buy it as a secondary console to play the exclusives.

That didn't work wonders for the GC (which dropped to $99 halfway through its lifecycle), so nobody should expect it to do much for the Wii U. Plus with Amiibo coming this holiday, getting rid of the Gamepad makes no sense now.

Fair point, GC launched at a stupidly low price here in general from day 1. You're right, Wii U is doomed, they should just dump it now and focus on not screwing up the next system.

So should MS, but here we are;)

RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

Whoa, hold on a second. Wii U is doomed, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo should dump it. It's not a good basis for a successor if you leave a lot of disgruntled customers behind.

What Nintendo should do is grow their digital business by working on the eShop (which by all means should carry over to all future systems) and produce retail games that aren't overly expensive to make, but still satisfy the Wii U audience (obviously, games like Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X that were greenlit before the Wii U failure became apparent to Nintendo will be finished as planned). I've been saying this since last year and now I am kinda surprised how positive the reaction has been. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is the prime example of resuing existing assets to make a new game, but there was no anger whatsoever directed at it.

They do satisfy their fans for the most part and thats the important thing.

Around the Network
homer said:
Soundwave said:
noname2200 said:
noname2200 said:
osed125 said:

Soundwave has to be the user who changes opinions the most on this site.

No he isn't.

Yes he is.

To be honest I don't think the Wii U is really that different from the Wii at the same point in their life cycle in terms of software quality. Wii U might honestly be a tad better at the same point ... it just doesn't have the same casual gimmick and Nintendo doesn't have an answer to Apple/Android stealing all theirfickle casual base away. 

I disagree. By this point, Smash bros was out, a brand new zelda, mario galaxy, paper mario, fire emblem, and a metroid in addition to mario kart and other titles like warioware and excite truck. I personally think that is a better lineup than what is out now and probably has more variety. Also, you have to remember the timing of everything. Wii got a lot of these things at launch,  and then in the spring and then the fall and then the following spring. The wiiu was dead for half a year until the fall of 2013 with a great fall lineup. Breing as dead as nintendo was at such a crucial time was ridiculous. Early in the wii's life cycle, we knew about all the great titles on their way. We knew nothing around the launch of the wiiu. All we knew is that they would come eventually. Who wants to drop $350 on "eventually."

TLDR: When comparing the software lineups, you also have to look at when they released in the lifecycle.

but isnt that exactly what people did and are doing for PS4 and to a lesser extent xone?

KLXVER said:
Depends on what you mean by underperform though...

NSMBU has sold over 4 million. Thats about 65% of the install base.
MK8 has sold over 2 million in a month. Thats about 33% of the install base.

Dont see any PS4 or XB1 games hitting that percentage.

well yeah. To be fair its not really nothing to boast about when the system itself has such a low install base. As for the others Didnt the PS4 version of Watchdogs outsell MK8 by itself so its def in the ballpark.

I've always wanted Nintendo to change. I wanted them to do something different, but that something different was a mystery. I've changed my mind though. Nintendo should continue staying their course. I think that's the best option at this point.

I think what Nintendo did at E3 was absolutely perfect. They didn't try to reach for some unknown demographic. They announced games that would keep their core fanbase and did so by announcing a bunch of games. They're definitely stuck in a really odd place. PS4/XONE on one side and Apple/Google on the other, but I think if they keep the fans they have at the moment happy and content, they can be successful. Their software sells well regardless of how well the hardware does. I think that's what makes Nintendo strong as this point. Their fans WILL buy their games.

It will be interesting to see what they plan to do next generation though.

oniyide said:
KLXVER said:
Depends on what you mean by underperform though...

NSMBU has sold over 4 million. Thats about 65% of the install base.
MK8 has sold over 2 million in a month. Thats about 33% of the install base.

Dont see any PS4 or XB1 games hitting that percentage.

well yeah. To be fair its not really nothing to boast about when the system itself has such a low install base. As for the others Didnt the PS4 version of Watchdogs outsell MK8 by itself so its def in the ballpark.

Im not boasting. Cant really expect a game to sell 10 million copies on a console with 6.5 million units sold...

wether its doomed or not it will still have some excellent games.