By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Elimination Game - The Results are in! (See OP)

Woot! PS2 wins! What a match.

Around the Network

The PS2 really did deserve to be top of the chain ...

If nobody cares, I'll just pick the series for the next game. Nobody is posting recommendations so I figure there will be no issues with my choices...

PattonFiend said:

Wow, Sega Genesis, huh?

Even with the plethora of amazing JRPG's that SNES had?

Crazy... Almost every game I could have gotten on Gen was also on SNES but the SNES just plain had better games...

Nintendon't did everything that Sega couldn't...

I was just kidding, dude.  I've got nothing against Nintendo.

Though, I guess it also depends what you like.  I was never really into JRPGs.  And the Genesis really did have some of my favourite franchises on it.  Shinobi, Golden Axe, Strider, Sonic, Thunder Force, After Burner, Streets of Rage, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts...

Mind you, I don't know how much overlap there was between the two systems.  No doubt some of them were Sega exclusives, but I'm sure there would have been those available on both.  Still, one of the biggest draws for me was the Streets of Rage series - my favourite 'beat-em-up' - and I know that was published by Sega.

Interesting note - I just looked it up and one of SoR's listed platforms is Wii's Virtual Console.  That actually surprises me a little.  I know Sega don't do hardware any more, but it's kind of ironic that they'd release their old exclusives on a Nintendo platform.  I can't help but wonder what the reaction was in whatever board meeting that was first suggested.

shikamaru317 said:

So my favorite console, Sega Genesis, made it to #2. I can't say I'm unhappy about those results, I'm impressed it made it that far considering the competition it was up against. Huge thanks to the other Sega fans who helped it get as far as it did.

Indeed.  I for one didn't expect it to get anywhere near that far.  As I said before, I'm pleasantly surprised by how fair people were with their voting.  I thought a contest between consoles was just begging to be turned into a fanboy war where all but one company quickly disappears from the list.  I was expecting one of two things to happen: Either all but the Nintendo consoles to quickly be voted off, or all but the Sony consoles to be voted off (though I wasn't sure which).

Instead, people actually voted the lesser consoles off first leaving the better ones from each company.  Well, MS admittedly got the short end of the stick, but the rest enjoyed a good competition.  So, yeah, all round a good game.

shikamaru317 said:

And remember: Genesis does what Nintendon't xD Just messing with you Nintendo fans.

Sigh!  Remember when the console wars weren't... well, you know... serious?

These days, they're... well, you know... serious!

ColdFire - The man with no name.

PattonFiend said:
Wow, Sega Genesis, huh?

Even with the plethora of amazing JRPG's that SNES had?

Crazy... Almost every game I could have gotten on Gen was also on SNES but the SNES just plain had better games...

Nintendon't did everything that Sega couldn't...

Not my experience. The games I liked the most on Genesis were not available on SNES (as far as I know):

- One of the best tennis games I've ever played: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Capriati_Tennis

- One of the best arcade games I've ever played: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicky

- A really fun racing game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4dNc3YLnQk

- Sonic games (of course)

- And the almighty boss of arcade games that I mean to play forever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puyo_Puyo_%28series%29

These are just the best of the best. Then there were a lot of others that SNES lacked too.

Maybe for JRPG fans SNES was better, but surely not for me.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Around the Network
Miguel_Zorro said:

How many points did the PS2 have when the Genesis was eliminated?

It easily won. I'm not adding the votes again but it had about 110 or so.

Miguel_Zorro said:
said:

Indeed.  I for one didn't expect it to get anywhere near that far.  As I said before, I'm pleasantly surprised by how fair people were with their voting.  I thought a contest between consoles was just begging to be turned into a fanboy war where all but one company quickly disappears from the list.  I was expecting one of two things to happen: Either all but the Nintendo consoles to quickly be voted off, or all but the Sony consoles to be voted off (though I wasn't sure which).

Instead, people actually voted the lesser consoles off first leaving the better ones from each company.  Well, MS admittedly got the short end of the stick, but the rest enjoyed a good competition.  So, yeah, all round a good game.

There was a bit of that.  If you look at the votes near the end, Sony fans and Nintendo fans were voting down each other's consoles and ignoring the Genesis while us Genesis fans were consistely voting for it and keeping it in the contest. :)

Ah, is that what was happening?  Now that I think about it, I did notice at one point that the Genesis was getting curiously few votes one way or the other.  That suited me because I was hoping the PS2 would come down in the meantime, but alas, it wasn't to be.

*Sound Of Rain said:

If nobody cares, I'll just pick the series for the next game. Nobody is posting recommendations so I figure there will be no issues with my choices...

Sorry Rain, I wasn't really clear on what you wanted us to suggest?  Do they have to be exclusives to each platform?

said:

Sorry Rain, I wasn't really clear on what you wanted us to suggest?  Do they have to be exclusives to each platform?

Don't worry. I'll just pick. Thanks anyway.

*Sound Of Rain said:

Don't worry. I'll just pick. Thanks anyway.

Ok, no problem.  Sorry if I'm being thick.  I read your explanation several times and I couldn't figure out if you just wanted any third-party games, or games specific to the platforms you're using.  No biggie.

Fuck... I wanted the SNES to win.. >_<

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---