By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii's Peak>PS4's peak

Ucell said:
Arius Dion said:
You all think PS4 will sell better than PS3 ltd? I don't, I think it will be the market leader this gen, but I don't think any console gen 8 will outsell their predecessor. That is what I'm saying. Too many factors working against the consoles this gen.

Despite all these factors its trending far above the PS3. Your thoughts really have no basis to them.

Oh and I just noticed you're a Nintendo fan. Lol whenever I see someone making a prediction similar to yours they are almost always Nintendo fans.

Ah, I see you're a Sony fan, no surprise in regards to your optimism. 

Who says I'm a Nintendo fan? Have you ever read my opinions on Wii U? We'll see how long PS4 trends above PS3.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
I don't see PS4 cracking 20 million TBH.

How front loaded do you think this gen is?

It would have to sell worse than in holdays then its software constrained drought months, to not reach 11 mil this year. Then it would have to sell worse than the Vita in 2015, when it'll will finally "have some gaemz" to not surpass the remaining 9 mil.

Early Adopters are a minority, and you'd be hard pressed explaining how the market leader of this gen will sell worse than the 3rd place of the 6th gen.

People who buy consoles aren't going to drop off the face of the earth and the growing PC and mobile markets aren't going to conflict with the console markey significantly for the time being.

Even a 5year life cycle PS4 would easily do ~30 mil, let alone the usual 10 year PS lifecycle.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Ucell said:
kopstudent89 said:
And that peak could've been more if it weren't for the supply. The Wii's peak was phenomenal for the industry, but for me nothing beats what the DS was able to do.

PS2 and DS have sold about the same number of units, with the PS2 selling much more software.

Yeah but the PS2 did that over time with 50m consoles sold after the release of the PS3. DS was a lot quicker (of course faded a lot faster and is dead now). It had peaks of 27-29m for 3 years straight. That's not normal. 5 years straight over 20m as well. 

Arius Dion said:
Ucell said:
Arius Dion said:
You all think PS4 will sell better than PS3 ltd? I don't, I think it will be the market leader this gen, but I don't think any console gen 8 will outsell their predecessor. That is what I'm saying. Too many factors working against the consoles this gen.

Despite all these factors its trending far above the PS3. Your thoughts really have no basis to them.

Oh and I just noticed you're a Nintendo fan. Lol whenever I see someone making a prediction similar to yours they are almost always Nintendo fans.

Ah, I see you're a Sony fan, no surprise in regards to your optimism. 

Who says I'm a Nintendo fan? Have you ever read my opinions on Wii U? We'll see how long PS4 trends above PS3.

I'm being optimistic? Its the sales trends which are showing themselves. That's not called optimism.

Infact its youb who doesn't seem to have any basis on what you're thinking about PS4 sales vs PS3 sales.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
binary solo said:

It would have to sell worse than in holdays then its software constrained drought months, to not reach 11 mil this year. Then it would have to sell worse than the Vita in 2015, when it'll will finally "have some gaemz" to not surpass the remaining 9 mil.

Early Adopters are a minority, and you'd be hard pressed explaining how the market leader of this gen will sell worse than the 3rd place of the 6th gen.

People who buy consoles aren't going to drop off the face of the earth and the growing PC and mobile markets aren't going to conflict with the console markey significantly for the time being.

Even a 5year life cycle PS4 would easily do ~30 mil, let alone the usual 10 year PS lifecycle.

You know he's talking about in a year right? That's what this thread is about.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
binary solo said:

You know he's talking about in a year right? That's what this thread is about.

Oh...

If that's the case it needs to be about 200$ cheaper. If the 3DS's peak hasn't already reached that then, nothing this Gen will. The Wii and DS were lucky enough not to go up against smartphones.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

the-pi-guy said:
DarkD said:
How the hell did the Wii die fast... It was doing those kinds of numbers for 4 years straight. It only started to die off like the PS4 is now in the last 2 years of its life.

PS2 sold 50 million after the next gen consoles released.  It outsold the X360 and PS3 for quite a long time.  The Wii isn't going to do anywhere near those numbers. 

PS4 is not starting to die off.  Seriously?

since when not selling 50kk+ after it's prime = dying fast?

greenmedic88 said:
SnowPrince said:
Wow I just realized that the Wii did 24M in one single year, that's impressive ! Doubt Sony may even be able to assure such shipments.

I think that's the most any console has sold in one year and likely the most any console will ever sell in one year which is impressive, but when looking at the overall big picture, that one year represents almost 25% of the console's lifetime sales, which really just illustrates that demand for the Wii was spurred by broader demographics that lost interest in the product after 2010. 

The 24m must have been for 2009 as sales for 2010 were about 17m, followed by 11.5m in 2011 which represents a pretty sharp drop off and a an extremely fast peak. 

Playstation consoles have all trended differently, making 10 year + production cycles viable. 

DS had a 30 million+ peak year.

and nestle sell 620 million jars of cofee a year, so what?

Arius Dion said:
chapset said:
Arius Dion said:
Many are ignoring trends. This gen will not sniff last gens totals. PS4 isn't even doing better than PS3 yet, imagine PS3 was the market leader last gen with its putrid start? There is no Wii this gen. The economy will not allow this gen to be greater than last.

whut?? wtf are you talking about the ps4 did 8.2 mill in 8 months while it took 14months for the ps3 to do that. check the numbers before posting dumb shit

PS4 is a poor market leader;. in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king, it won't be long before PS4 starts tracking below PS3. Wii is untouchable. Bottomline. Watch your mouth kid.

You just keep shifting the goal post and acting like you're right. It's still doing better than the PS3 and all the games, pricecuts and such are just going to keep increasing it. It's going to have good lifetime numbers.