By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii's Peak>PS4's peak

RazorDragon said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nintentacle said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
yeah it wont reach wii

Maybe not the Wii's peak, but Sony was dealing with actual dedicated gamers all the way to casuals. The Wii's sales were front-loaded from cateringto non-gamers which is why there is an issue with third party sales on a console that sold 100 M. Sony will reach those numbers over a longer period of time but will enjoy longer lasting success with a more varied library of games.

1. The only first party game on the PS4 that casuals could enjoy is LittleBigPlanet 3, IMO.

2. I wouldn't say Wii's sales were front-loaded. It sold well its whole life-cycle up until 2012.

1. Casuals play Assassins Creed, COD and other games as well. NIntendo catered the Wii U to a new market that no one had cracked. Non-gamers. People who don't really have the time to game. They dumbed down the console so everyone could get their hands coupled with an extremely attractive price and Wii Sports title. 

Sony has only begun to start. They will have better legs as I've said before. Nintendo hasn't enjoyed 60+ m sales without third party so this was their first taste of success trying a new tactic. Sadly it was horrible for their third party sales in a traditional sense.

2. They were front loaded. It sold well from 2006 to 2010. 2011-12 were when it started dropping off the face of the earth. Once the Kinect came everyone found their next fad in 2010. People and their mothers were trying to get their hands on Kinects after 2010 just like they did with the Wii, but it was short lived.

Except Wii only started to slow down sales when Nintendo pretty much discontinued game support in 2011. It was still selling quite well in 2010, it's much more likely that the system's sales slowed down because no new games were being released than anything else, otherwise it would've sold nothing in holiday 2010 thanks to Kinect's release.

I think it was also because it was a standard definition console in an HD world. 

Around the Network

I think its peak will be around 17m in one year, probably the year it gets an official price cut.

Just think, the system is probably gonna push 13m this year with no real next gen killer apps on its side other then next gen AC Unity, so last gens userbase has had little reason to upgrade other then hype. Imagine what Happens next year when we start off 2015 Q1 with The Order 1886, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, swiftly followed by Bloodborne!

The lack of a Japanese market and stronger competition from the XO in 2015 forward will stop it from pushing past 20m in my opnion.

teigaga said:
I think its peak will be around 17m in one year, probably the year it gets an official price cut.

Just think, the system is probably gonna push 13m this year with no real next gen killer apps on its side other then next gen AC Unity, so last gens userbase has had little reason to upgrade other then hype. Imagine what Happens next year when we start off 2015 Q1 with The Order 1886, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, swiftly followed by Bloodborne!

The lack of a Japanese market and stronger competition from the XO in 2015 forward will stop it from pushing past 20m in my opnion.

Lack of jdm is irrelevent as Europe has grown as has rest of the world, other then a insame cut that would price x1 at half of the PS4 price.  X1 will not be strong competition exceptfor Halo5 month.  

Pavolink said:
Sony is not as intelligent as Nintendo to create such a big fad. Wii was a success that only Nintendo can recreate.

Sony didnt create the Eyetoy to be a fad even though thats as good as its purpose could've stretched. Marketing changes perception. Sony's intentions for the Eyetoy was for it to accompany every Playstation product, not for you to blow your load with it or force bundle it upon people. When Sony created their version of Wii Sports in Sports Champions, it actually took skill to play the game. This again is a problem with Sony. They don't dumb things down like Nintendo. 

marley said:
RazorDragon said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nintentacle said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
yeah it wont reach wii

Except Wii only started to slow down sales when Nintendo pretty much discontinued game support in 2011. It was still selling quite well in 2010, it's much more likely that the system's sales slowed down because no new games were being released than anything else, otherwise it would've sold nothing in holiday 2010 thanks to Kinect's release.

I think it was also because it was a standard definition console in an HD world. 

These are the reasons the Wii sold well.

1) Dumbed down controls so it broke down the barrier between gamers and gaming itself.

2) Wii Sports did not demand the most accurate of player to play and have fun.

3) Marketing/Focus group (Everyone and their mothers and mothers grandfathers)

4) Price

5) Being SD it also supported the people who hadnt made the shift to HD yet. Old world vs the new.

Around the Network
BeElite said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

To get a 100 mill, PS4 needs at least 10 mil a year, 5 mil holidays, and 5 mil rest of the year. Furthermore, I think it would have to either become more mainstream, as no console, handheld or home, has hit 100 mil without becoming some kind of mainstream, or it would have to annihilate the competition. I'm talking 80+% marketshare here.

PS4 is mainstream, and its already on its way to "annihilate the competition" things wont get any better for x1 or U as PSs big isp start dropping.

Its on its way to Annihilate the competition but 80% marketshare is immensely difficult even with the Wii U and XB1's blunders. 11.1 mil is basically XB1+Wii U right now, PS4 would need to sell 91 million consoles before, the Xb1 and Wii U combined sold 9 consoles in the same amount of time. With the competition less of a concern it merely has to do an average of 10 mil for 10 years but even then the PS5 would've launched by then.

As for its Mainstream, that's debatable, I don't think its marketted to the Non-Gamers and sure as hell hasn't reached PS2 levels of universal appeal yet.

Mobiles are also screwing that up right now.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pavolink said:
Sony is not as intelligent as Nintendo to create such a big fad. Wii was a success that only Nintendo can recreate.

Sony didnt create the Eyetoy to be a fad even though thats as good as its purpose could've stretched. Marketing changes perception. Sony's intentions for the Eyetoy was for it to accompany every Playstation product, not for you to blow your load with it or force bundle it upon people. When Sony created their version of Wii Sports in Sports Champions, it actually took skill to play the game. This again is a problem with Sony. They don't dumb things down like Nintendo. 

No. They wanted to create a better game that outsell Wii Sports focusing on skills. And it failed as nobody asked for perfect games but for fun ones. In that sense, Wii Sports is superior as doesn't need you to move perfectly, but to just move similar or emulate with a "dumbed down" perception.

Of course you are wrong, again, if you believe Nintendo is the only company with easy games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
BeElite said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

To get a 100 mill, PS4 needs at least 10 mil a year, 5 mil holidays, and 5 mil rest of the year. Furthermore, I think it would have to either become more mainstream, as no console, handheld or home, has hit 100 mil without becoming some kind of mainstream, or it would have to annihilate the competition. I'm talking 80+% marketshare here.

PS4 is mainstream, and its already on its way to "annihilate the competition" things wont get any better for x1 or U as PSs big isp start dropping.

Its on its way to Annihilate the competition but 80% marketshare is immensely difficult even with the Wii U and XB1's blunders. 11.1 mil is basically XB1+Wii U right now, PS4 would need to sell 91 million consoles before, the Xb1 and Wii U combined sold 9 consoles in the same amount of time. With the competition less of a concern it merely has to do an average of 10 mil for 10 years but even then the PS5 would've launched by then.

As for its Mainstream, that's debatable, I don't think its marketted to the Non-Gamers and sure as hell hasn't reached PS2 levels of universal appeal yet.

Mobiles are also screwing that up right now.

For the year its at 58% of sales, 64% in Europe.  Such share with out a top 5 exclusive PS franchise out yet or a single price cut.  Is annahilation that far of really.

To early to market to them, but PS4 is the mass medias darling already.  

Pavolink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pavolink said:

No. They wanted to create a better game that outsell Wii Sports focusing on skills. And it failed as nobody asked for perfect games but for fun ones. In that sense, Wii Sports is superior as doesn't need you to move perfectly, but to just move similar or emulate with a "dumbed down" perception.

Of course you are wrong, again, if you believe Nintendo is the only company with easy games.

You're saying the same thing I said. Wii Sports is less accurate, its just more fun. You can enjoy yourself with both games, but with there is zero barrier for entry with the Wii. Anyone can play, even your grandparents who hate gaming. We must learn from pop music. If you want people to buy it you dumb it down.

ps4 am cry