By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii's Peak>PS4's peak

*Sound Of Rain said:
Arius Dion said:

I don't think this gen will sniff last gens numbers. 

They won't. Is that because of the PS4 though?

PS4 is 1/3 the problem. M$ and Nintendodeserve some of the blame as well.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:

I'm not hoping the PS4 fails, quite the contrary. Just seeing the writing on the wall. I don't think this gen will sniff last gens numbers. And if you think they will, well then you're the one posting bull shit pipe dreams : )

Wtf again, were did I say that. I think you need your medecine grand papy you are seeing things

Quote Tree Shortened and User Moderated - Conegamer

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:

Wtf again, were did I say that. I think you need your medecine grand papy you are seeing things

LoL. You're probably right, young buck.

Quote Tree Shortened - Conegamer

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Arius Dion said:

I don't think this gen will sniff last gens numbers. 

They won't. Is that because of the PS4 though?

PS4 is 1/3 the problem. M$ and Nintendodeserve some of the blame as well.

Last gen had a 100 million selling console and two 80+ million selling consoles. This gen will have one 100 million selling console and two consoles that will be lucky to break 50 million each. I doubt the 100 million selling console is part of the problem.

veritaz said:
I doubt anyone believed it would reach higher than that in 1 year. It's more about the legs of Playstation home consoles. They sell really well over time but the Wii died pretty fast.

Yeah the Wii died after year 4 while the PS3 still continues to compete with even the X1.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
PS4 will probably be a lot more regular than what the Wii was, and in the end will catch up with it and outsell it.
120M sounds a good number to PS4 end life number.

That was the strength of the Wii though.  The sales were consistently sold out for the first 4 years of its sale.  PS4 is already starting to sit on the shelves by comparison.  40-70 million sounds good to me...  

DarkD said:
BraLoD said:
PS4 will probably be a lot more regular than what the Wii was, and in the end will catch up with it and outsell it.

That was the strength of the Wii though.  The sales were consistently sold out for the first 4 years of its sale.  PS4 is already starting to sit on the shelves by comparison.  40-70 million sounds good to me...  

You're really underestimating the strength of long term legs. From launch until the end of 2010 the PS3 sold 46m and the Wii 82m. From then until now the PS3 has sold 36m vs the Wii with only 19m (11.5m of which came from 2011).

All those years of being sold out and absolutely crushing its competition, yet by the time the PS3/360 are discontinued the Wii's lead will likely be barley 10%. The smallest 1st place lead since before the NES.

Zekkyou said:
DarkD said:
BraLoD said:

You're really underestimating the strength of long term legs. From launch until the end of 2010 the PS3 sold 46m and the Wii 82m. From then until now the PS3 has sold 36m vs the Wii with only 19m (11.5m of which came from 2011).

All those years of being sold out and absolutely crushing its competition, yet by the time the PS3/360 are discontinued the Wii's lead will likely be barley 10%. The smallest 1st place lead since before the NES.

That's not long legs, people just hated it at launch, but they loved Sony.  They held onto their old consoles until the price really came down.  PS4 actually had a good launch, so people aren't waiting to buy the system this time.  Not to mention, why would people buy more consoles in a generation that has significantly less games on it and an almost insignificant power increase over their old consoles.  

DarkD said:
Zekkyou said:

That's not long legs, people just hated it at launch, but they loved Sony.  They held onto their old consoles until the price really came down.  PS4 actually had a good launch, so people aren't waiting to buy the system this time.  Not to mention, why would people buy more consoles in a generation that has significantly less games on it and an almost insignificant power increase over their old consoles.  

You can conjure up any reason you like, the fact of the matter is that despite years of crushing its competition the Wii didn't managed to maintain that success. In the end both the PS3 and 360 managed to close the gap considerably.

As for the bolded section, you're just being downright silly.

1) The average person only buys around 10 games across a generation. By the end of this gen both the PS4 and X1 will likely have hundreds of major releases, just like every other gen. I'm sure people will be fine ^^

2) Both the PS4 and X1 are a pretty significant leap over their predecessors. Comparing their launch titles to recent PS3/360 releases is pretty remarkable, comparing them to their predecessors launch titles is simply amazing.

Anyway, i'm going to leave this argument be. Reading through your other comments in this thread makes it pretty obvious your arguments are personal hopes rather than logical conclusions. I'll be sure to dig this thread up in a few years Enjoy your day ^^

I don't think any dedicated gaming system will ever reach such crazy numbers again, ever.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046