By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CONFIRMED: Airtight games, developer of Murdered: Soul Suspect, collapses

Wow, another developer goes out of business this gen. How many companies have gone bankrupt or are in serious trouble since 2012?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Wow, another developer goes out of business this gen. How many companies have gone bankrupt or are in serious trouble since 2012?

This is actually one of the first to go bust this gen :P

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

15000 square feet? that seem a lot.. how many employees did they have?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

And yet, somehow, people think AAA developers are going to do just fine this generation. I'm sorry, they won't! If an indie studio attempting to make big budget games can get shut down, then any studio can get shut down and WILL get shut down.

Developers! If you don't have the money, DON'T SPEND IT! This is common sense! You don't grab up a ton of credit cards and push yourself off the cliff with debt! If you only have 100 bucks, then your game should only cost 99 bucks to develop. If you have 20k, then your game should be 19k to develop. Don't put yourself in the hole just for a moment of fame!

What a shame. Excluding the Ouya game (which I never played), all their games were good. Sad to see them go :(

Around the Network

Soul Suspect coming to PS+ in three months confirmed...

Still sucks.

I feel bad for the people at Airtight Games, but this seems like a worrying trend. If this keeps up with the smaller studios, bad videogames won't cause an industry crash, the lack of developers will. If this is true, I just hope the company finds a way to stay alive somehow.

QuintonMcLeod said:

And yet, somehow, people think AAA developers are going to do just fine this generation. I'm sorry, they won't! If an indie studio attempting to make big budget games can get shut down, then any studio can get shut down and WILL get shut down.

Developers! If you don't have the money, DON'T SPEND IT! This is common sense! You don't grab up a ton of credit cards and push yourself off the cliff with debt! If you only have 100 bucks, then your game should only cost 99 bucks to develop. If you have 20k, then your game should be 19k to develop. Don't put yourself in the hole just for a moment of fame!

There problem wasn't with over spending, even if they didn't spend all of the budget it's not like they would have got to keep that money anyway Square Enix payed them enough to make a game with whatever budget it had. It just sold really poorly and they couldn't get more work in time. Lets face it no matter the size of the studio or the budget of the game if you make several games that under perform in a row people aren't going togive you money to make more. Not unless you make critical darlings and a publisher goes looking for a prestige project anyway. If they made low budget indie games that floped they would have gone under just the same, hell their previous game was a low budget downloadable title that also didn't sell well.

It's not like they were really a AAA studio anyway, more of a mid tier one. I am sure the budget for Murdered wasn't even a quarter of something like Tomb Raider.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Its not a worrying trend... its just another incompetently handled dev team who shot way over their league... Sad to see them go, but their talent will be used in other teams.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

zarx said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

There problem wasn't with over spending, even if they didn't spend all of the budget it's not like they would have got to keep that money anyway Square Enix payed them enough to make a game with whatever budget it had. It just sold really poorly and they couldn't get more work in time. Lets face it no matter the size of the studio or the budget of the game if you make several games that under perform in a row people aren't going togive you money to make more. Not unless you make critical darlings and a publisher goes looking for a prestige project anyway. If they made low budget indie games that floped they would have gone under just the same, hell their previous game was a low budget downloadable title that also didn't sell well.

It's not like they were really a AAA studio anyway, more of a mid tier one. I am sure the budget for Murdered wasn't even a quarter of something like Tomb Raider.

I'll out a part of the plane in game reviewers. They are bashing and giving horrible scores for almost all games now and giving free passes for games with serious issues. Castlevania received horrible scores and Murdered received 40s on Metacritic. This is insane. Rambo received 35 and is a completely broken horrible mess. Murdered isn't a masterpiece, but it is quite decent and enjoyable. How can it be only 5 points better than a complete crap? Anybody that saw it thought this game was broken or simply was horrible.

And the same critics have given 97 to GTA V. It's a great game, but 97? Really? It isn't nowhere close to that with a simplistic history like that. This was a free pass with critics.