By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamefreak messed up in the execution of Mega Evolution

Gamefreak decided to spice things up in Generation 6 by adding Mega Evolution. Initial Reactions aside (they were mixed, like every new thing made, ever) the idea made sense in theory:

Make a pokemon stronger in battle, without adding an evolution, and making it lose a hold item as compensation! Imagine the many possibilities! Many older pokemon will become useful now More choices and a larger pool of usable pokemon! That's always good. And since most changes have managed to retroactively make older pokemon good like Abilities, New Moves, Held Items, and even the changes to the Type Chart in Gen 6, it's simple to assume that Mega Evolution would have done the same.

And then Gamefreak actually implimented it.

TL;DR version:

The Megas pander too much to Gens 1 and 3 instead of being varied, and they give too many Megas to already amazing pokemon, leaving the ones that need it in the dust.

Better, longer version:

Here's the list of all the current Mega Evolutions and a couple things will be noticable and unfortunate.

Promblem 1: WAY too pandery to specific fanbases

What's that? ALmost twice as much Mega Evolutions from Gen 1 and 3? The Gens that happen to have the most elitist fanbases? Unfortunately, it seems like they used Mega Evolution to pander to help and win back the fans from these Gens, as most people who loudly state that they stopped playing usually stopped playing at these gens. From a busniess standpoint, it makes perfect sense, and actually worked perfectly too. TONNES of older fans got back into pokemon because of this game. But for the majority of the fanbase who never left and love most/all of the games, they must feel shafted.

If you werent convinced that it's incredibly pandery, look at the only two pokemon that got 2(!) Megas. Charizard and Mewtwo. The two pokemon that constantly top (best pokemon ever!!" lists on the internet. Not to mention ALL THREE Kanto starters and the most popular Hoenn starter.

Yes, the new games are what make Gen 3 have so much Megas but they still had the second most by far without the new guys. And 12 and 9 Megas for Gens 1 and 3 vs 5, 3 and 0 for the other 3 gens is just ridiculous.

One could argue that they did this because the older pokemon are weaker on a whole and needed Megas more (which would beg the Question why Gen 2 was so unlucky) but that still wouldnt be true. Which brings me to my second point.

Problem 2: Completely wasted on already good pokemon

Wow, Mega Evolutions! Neat! Does that mean we will get some lesser pokemon stronger now? Are we gonna get Megas of Dunsparce, Corsola, Maractus, Sandslash, Smeargle, Golduck, Lanturn, Girafarig, Shftry, Torkoal, Lopunny, or other pokemon that are either bad, or could still be better? Encourage diversity?

Nope.

We get Megas for Alakazam, Heracross, Lucario, Garchomp(?!), Scizor, Mewtwo, Gengar, Blaziken, among others. Around half the Mega Evolutions were already insanely powerful pokemon that just got even more insanely powerful. Instead of encouraging diversity, it forced everyone to pick from only 6 or seven superpowers that were near untouchable (Yeah, let's give Gengar, a pokemon with high Speed and Destiny Bond, the ability to trap anyone he wants), while leaving aaaaall those pokemon that could benefit from a power up in the dust.

It's not all bad, I guess

Admittedly, a couple Mega Evolutions like what I'd have originally wanted are there, like the Megas for Ampharos, Kangaskhan, Pinser, are there, which is nice. But overal a wasted oportunity.

Around the Network

It's really soon to say that, we need to know first the new megas of the AR/OS. Plus, you have to bring atention to older gens if we keep getting new pokemons. The 7th gen will bring megas to the 4th and 5th gen in its time.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
It's really soon to say that, we need to know first the new megas of the AR/OS. Plus, you have to bring atention to older gens if we keep getting new pokemons. The 7th gen will bring megas to the 4th and 5th gen in its time.

I know things will likely get slightly better over time when it comes to the amount from each Gen, but the adding of all three gen 1 starters and two evolutions from the popular gen 1 pokemon give me enough evidence to think it was definitely a pander-y move, regarless of what they plan to do in the future.

Smear-Gel said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I know things will likely get slightly better over time when it comes to the amount from each Gen, but the adding of all three gen 1 starters and two evolutions from the popular gen 1 pokemon give me enough evidence to think it was definitely a pander-y move, regarless of what they plan to do in the future.

They wanted to troll all the gennwuners in the world... and they succeded :)

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I was really hoping for a mega dunsparce :(

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

I think it focuses on older Pokemon instead of new Pokemon to give you a sense of rediscovery with those old pokemon. You don't really need that with new pokemon quite as much...

Also, yeah, they are pander-y but I feel like that is sort of the point. Its basically fan service, and I don't see any problem with that...

There is ALWAYS pandering in Pokemon! Complaining about it is useless. You should have made this thread back when you played your first Pokemon game.

Why do weak, no-evolution Pokemon even exist?

Why are some Pokemon better than others?

Why did Pokemon A get better stats than Pokemon B?

Complaining that Mega's are biased/uneven is stupid, because that's the series in a nutshell. Some will get more attention/bias than others upon creation. Without an extremely balanced game (impossible to do with 700+ variations of Pokemon), there can be no "fair game". Yeah, it isn't fair. And it never will be.

radishhead said:
I was really hoping for a mega dunsparce :(

Everybody was. :c

sundin13 said:
I think it focuses on older Pokemon instead of new Pokemon to give you a sense of rediscovery with those old pokemon. You don't really need that with new pokemon quite as much...

Also, yeah, they are pander-y but I feel like that is sort of the point. Its basically fan service, and I don't see any problem with that...

Yeah, I get that. And it seems like that discovery was suposed to suffice for the lack of newer pokemon. I also get that pandering is the point, but this time it was at the expense of something much greater. Especially in choosing to make strong pokemon stronger rather than weak pokemon strong.

I have to disagree mega evos are a great addition to the pokemon series. They add a new evolution to both fan favorites and underused pokemon while also keeping a fair balance to the game. Instead of making a 4th stage to some fully evolved pokemon they make you lose an item spot to mega evo which balances them out by adding a negative to mega evo. They also add a nice new design for the pokemon.

To argue your points, obviously they are going to give the fan favorites mega evos it wouldnt make any sense for Gamefreak to completly ignore the fan favorties of the sereis like the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Lucario etc. but its not like those are the only pokemon they gave mega evos too. Kagaskhan, Mawile, Ampharious, Aggron, Abomasnow, houndoom, Manetric, Medicham, Gardeviour, Pinsir, Bannet, and Abosl are all pokemon that barely got used and aren't very popular that got mega evos. In fact theres more pokemon that were in UU and lower that got megas then in OU. So actually gamefreak brought a lot of pokemon from the dead and basically made them usable again.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

Roar_Of_War said:

There is ALWAYS pandering in Pokemon! Complaining about it is useless. You should have made this thread back when you played your first Pokemon game.

Why do weak, no-evolution Pokemon even exist?

To flesh out the game world and round out the number of pokemon, and to put in unique and interesting gimick pokemon. Nothing too wrong about that. I understand that many pokemon are gonna just be not as good.

Why are some Pokemon better than others?

I get that some pokemon are better than others. But a larger amount of good pokemon is clearly better than a smaller amount.

Why did Pokemon A get better stats than Pokemon B?

All pokemon getting similar stats would be silly. But stats arent it. Many pokemon are still usable, based on abilities, movesets, and the like. Not all pokemon are the same, but most are at least somewhat usable in one situation.

Complaining that Mega's are biased/uneven is stupid, because that's the series in a nutshell. Some will get more attention/bias than others upon creation. Without an extremely balanced game (impossible to do with 700+ variations of Pokemon), there can be no "fair game". Yeah, it isn't fair. And it never will be.