By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamefreak messed up in the execution of Mega Evolution

I agree. I too saw Mega Evolutions as an opportunity to make the metagame more diverse. I remember watching World 2013, and being frustrated at how many teams were very similar. I thought Mega Evolutions would be the answer to that. It seems to have done the opposite. I know Pokemon is both an RPG and has a metagame, but I do think that the metagame should be designed and balanced first, with the story built around it. I'm not 100% sure if GameFreak thinks this way. Anyway, with more Mega Evolutions coming each game, it seems, I am hopeful that this is a temporary problem.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network
FatedReality said:

It surprises e tha you havent even go the gae yet and your already dismissing the mega evos. As far as rating battles through battle spot (Pokemon online random battles) its a completly diffrent startegy then regular 6v6 becuase you bring 6 poke but only choose 3. The great thing about pokemon there is always a counter to each poke whether there OP or not. Azumarill basically complelty wall Blazekin and I belive OHKO's Gengar with  choice banded aqua jet. There are many others to counter them too. So no atter how OP or cheap you think a pokemon is theres away around it. 

Eh, none of my points really require playing the game to figure out. Plus I play Showdown. The Place where Gengar, Blaziken, Lucario, and Kangaskhan got banned because there arent enough ways around it. I understand your point, because I agree that many strategies and pokemon people shy away from have enough conters that I think they're overreacting. But I do think there is some truth in these things. There's some generations where some pokemon (and now, Megas) are just uncompetitive.

garretslarrity said:
I agree. I too saw Mega Evolutions as an opportunity to make the metagame more diverse. I remember watching World 2013, and being frustrated at how many teams were very similar. I thought Mega Evolutions would be the answer to that. It seems to have done the opposite. I know Pokemon is both an RPG and has a metagame, but I do think that the metagame should be designed and balanced first, with the story built around it. I'm not 100% sure if GameFreak thinks this way. Anyway, with more Mega Evolutions coming each game, it seems, I am hopeful that this is a temporary problem.

I agree completely. Hopefully over time things will get better.