By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamefreak messed up in the execution of Mega Evolution

FatedReality said:
I have to disagree mega evos are a great addition to the pokemon series. They add a new evolution to both fan favorites and underused pokemon while also keeping a fair balance to the game. Instead of making a 4th stage to some fully evolved pokemon they make you lose an item spot to mega evo. They also add a nice new design for the pokemon.

To argue your points, obviously they are going to give the fan favorites mega evos it wouldnt make any sense for Gamefreak to completly ignore the fan favorties of the sereis like the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Lucario etc. but its not like thoose are the only pokemon they gave mega evos too. Kagaskhan, Mawile, Ampharious, Aggron, Abomasnow, houndoom, Manetric, Medicham, Gardeviour, Pinsir, Bannet, and Abosl are all pokemon that barely got used and aren't very popular that got mega evos. In fact theres more pokemon that were in UU and lower that got megas then in OU. So actually gamefreak brought a lot of pokemon from the dead and basically made them usable again.

True. I did say that many of them got it right.

But the combinantion of just how OP the pokemon that were already good got and the fact that you can only have one Mega per team, the megas that are just "okay" will instantly never be used, lesening diversity.

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:
FatedReality said:
I have to disagree mega evos are a great addition to the pokemon series. They add a new evolution to both fan favorites and underused pokemon while also keeping a fair balance to the game. Instead of making a 4th stage to some fully evolved pokemon they make you lose an item spot to mega evo. They also add a nice new design for the pokemon.

To argue your points, obviously they are going to give the fan favorites mega evos it wouldnt make any sense for Gamefreak to completly ignore the fan favorties of the sereis like the Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Lucario etc. but its not like thoose are the only pokemon they gave mega evos too. Kagaskhan, Mawile, Ampharious, Aggron, Abomasnow, houndoom, Manetric, Medicham, Gardeviour, Pinsir, Bannet, and Abosl are all pokemon that barely got used and aren't very popular that got mega evos. In fact theres more pokemon that were in UU and lower that got megas then in OU. So actually gamefreak brought a lot of pokemon from the dead and basically made them usable again.

True. I did say that many of them got it right.

But the combinantion of just how OP the pokemon that were already good got and the fact that you can only have one Mega per team, the megas that are just "okay" will instantly never be used, lesening diversity.

Not necessarily, different pokemon fit diffrent needs yes some pokemon got better mega evos but that deosnt make the other ones useless. Thats also why they have tiers (If you play competivily) to diversify the pokemon you can use. And by the way it seems your thinking there are a lot of "OP" pokemon that got megas but I can only think of 2 which are Mewtwo and Blaziken. The others like lucario and Gengar were good and got a great boost to make them "OP" while others like Kanghaskhan and Charizard were awful before but now got an excellent boost.

It seems to me your dwelling on the very few pokemon that were good before that are insanly good now rather then the majority that were below average befoe that are good now.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

Mega Dunsparce would indeed be nice.

Only in our dreams I guess...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

OP, the fact that one of the pokémon from Gen2 to get a mega evolution is the evolved form of a Gen1 pokémon adds some minor weight to you argument...
I must admit this is something that definitely bothered me initially...

Have a nice day...

And by the way it seems your thinking there are a lot of "OP" pokemon that got megas but I can only think of 2 which are Mewtwo and Blaziken. The others like lucario and Gengar were good and got a great boost to make them "OP" while others like Kanghaskhan and Charizard were awful before but now got an excellent boost.

No, I'm thinking that there's many "very good" pokemon to get Megas, rather than just okay or bad pokemon.

Not necessarily, different pokemon fit diffrent needs yes some pokemon got better mega evos but that deosnt make the other ones useless. Thats also why they have tiers (If you play competivily) to diversify the pokemon you can use. 

I know about tiers, yes. Though always remember that the casual audience is always much larger and so should be looked at first. With no tiers, the battles will all be M-Blaziken/M-Gengar/M-Mewtwo or whatever. That's what I've heard is the case online.

And while I also agree with the "different megas fulfil different needs" idea, and will definitely be using some lesser used Megas whenever I get a 3DS and this game, there is already a tonne of talk about "this Mega is fine, but not worth giving up your Mega slot because [insert the popular, super good megas here] exist" for half of them. Heck, even for Mega Sableye, and the game isnt out yet. I understand restricting the Megas to one per team, but doing that should have come with making the power difference between them less large and making it more of a "use this depending on your strategy" case.

Who cares about looking for a strategy when you can just use protect once as M-Blaziken and then Speed Boost to win or just send out Mega Gengar and Destiny Bond any pokemon you want, garanteed?

Around the Network
leedlelee said:
OP, the fact that one of the pokémon from Gen2 to get a mega evolution is the evolved form of a Gen1 pokémon adds some minor weight to you argument...

Which one is that?

Smear-Gel said:
leedlelee said:

Which one is that?

Scizor...

Have a nice day...

leedlelee said:
Smear-Gel said:
leedlelee said:

Which one is that?

Scizor...

Oh lol, I had a brain fart for a moment.

Smear-Gel said:

Not necessarily, different pokemon fit diffrent needs yes some pokemon got better mega evos but that deosnt make the other ones useless. Thats also why they have tiers (If you play competivily) to diversify the pokemon you can use. 

I know about tiers, yes. Though always remember that the casual audience is always much larger and so should be looked at first. With no tiers, the battles will all be M-Blaziken/M-Gengar/M-Mewtwo or whatever. That's what I've heard is the case online.

And while I also agree with the "different megas fulfil different needs" idea, and will definitely be using some lesser used Megas whenever I get a 3DS and this game, there is already a tonne of talk about "this Mega is fine, but not worth giving up your Mega slot because [insert the popular, super good megas here] exist" for half of them. Heck, even for Mega Sableye, and the game isnt out yet. I understand restricting the Megas to one per team, but doing that should have come with making the power difference between them less large and making it more of a "use this depending on your strategy" case.

Who cares about looking for a strategy when you can just use protect once as M-Blaziken and then Speed Boost to win or just send out Mega Gengar and Destiny Bond any pokemon you want, garanteed?

It surprises e tha you havent even go the gae yet and your already dismissing the mega evos. As far as rating battles through battle spot (Pokemon online random battles) its a completly diffrent startegy then regular 6v6 becuase you bring 6 poke but only choose 3. The great thing about pokemon there is always a counter to each poke whether there OP or not. Azumarill basically complelty wall Blazekin and I belive OHKO's Gengar with  choice banded aqua jet. There are many others to counter them too. So no atter how OP or cheap you think a pokemon is theres away around it. 

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

I think they're a great addition just needs to be more of them.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~