By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

KLXVER said:
osed125 said:
fluky-nintendy said:
I think the OP has simply not played enough good indie games, that's the only way I can explain this

VVVVVV, Braid, Bastion and Super Meat Boy are among by favorites games of last gen.

Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Of Us, Bioshock and Mass Effect were better;)

Saying X is better than Y is arbitrary though. It's really an opinion, not a proven fact ;)

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
fluky-nintendy said:

Saying X is better than Y is arbitrary though. It's really an opinion, not a proven fact ;)

Yeah, Ive only played Braid from the ones you mentioned anyway.lol

The problem isn't that there are too many indie games. The problem is that the mid-tier games have mostly disappeared. The big publishers are only focusing on the big projects to the detriment of everything else. That is giving us less new IPs, less genres, less games in particular genres, etc.

Indie games are being pushed as a way to make up for that, but they just can't. They are a different thing entirely. They are generally smaller scope, smaller budget, and usually an old school or arty graphical style. It would be fine if we had a nice balance of indie - mid-tier - big budget games, but these days it feels like indie - big budget is most of what is out there.

Unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime soon. I am not really sure how it is going to change either. It just seems like a market inefficiency that is going to stick around.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

But.......I like them!!!! And I only get the best few sooooo I dont expeirence terrible ones :P

WE NEED MOOOOAAARARRRRR!

osed125 said:
fluky-nintendy said:
I think the OP has simply not played enough good indie games, that's the only way I can explain this

VVVVVV, Braid, Bastion and Super Meat Boy are among by favorites games of last gen.

Try FTL, dungeons of dredmor, mark of the ninja, kerbal space program,

Around the Network

95% of them should've never been made in my opinion, but I'm happy that the 5% that are good exist in the world. If we have to have 9 indie turds for 1 indie gem, then I say open the flood gates.

Or improve quality control on Steam.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

osed125 said:

This doesn't mean that during the previous gen we had less indie games, the point here is that because AAA games are so expensive and take a lot of time to make, we will see less and less big games coming frequently, therefore, companies have to start marketing indie games, to make the "illusion" that their console have tons of games, when in reality most of them are mediocre.

First of all, indie games are made my indie studios. No matter how many indies studios make indie games, it will not take away the big budget games that are made by bigger studios.

The majority of indie games that are on consoles, or coming soon to consoles, are actually pretty good. I don't think the app-style showelware model can survive on consoles but yes you will get bad indie games.

I'm not sure why you want to target indie games but you are just as likely to get a bad game from a bigger studio.

I wouldn't be if the indy games were better games.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

adriane23 said:
95% of them should've never been made in my opinion, but I'm happy that the 5% that are good exist in the world. If we have to have 9 indie turds for 1 indie gem, then I say open the flood gates.

Or improve quality control on Steam.

Why? Just because you don't like them? Their existence doesn't harm you in any way.

MikeRox said:
phaedruss said:
KLXVER said:
BraLoD said:
You have to think in the future.
More indie games = more chance to bring new good stuff = more future big companys doing AA and AAA games.
You have to thank the indie boom.

I disagree. Indie game developers usually stay indie game developers. I mean do you know of an indie game designer that now make AAA games...?

Star citizen could be considered aaa and as i said before the witness is looking to be a pretty big game. You'll just ignore this though.

Most successful indie developers, move onto a nother indie project with bigger scope and grander scale.

It'll take a decade or so, but the successful indie developers will then be making more ambitious titles than AAA devs are right now. It's all about a starting point.

Mike Bithell started with Thomas was Alone, is now making Volume, a more complex game (actually has AI and 3D visuals etc.)

Enough success and they can afford to take on extra staff to help them create bigger projects.

Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. As their projects give them better resources for future development.

The problem with that is one mis-step along the way and they are back to making small indie games or bankrupt.  Let's see if any of them can do it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)