By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

Some people make their decision on the game they want based on the box. Same as some people choose their films etc this way.

Is it very savvy? Not in the slightest, but it's how joe bloggs tends to shop.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Some people make their decision on the game they want based on the box. Same as some people choose their films etc this way.

No way on earth,I'd ever do that. lol

oldschoolfool said:

I agree with you there. If I'm unsure about a game,I always spend alittle time researching it. I've rarley  bought a game blindsided.

It's either my age, or a sign of where the industry is at, but I just don't effin trust them anymore lol.  Ok, there are a couple devs who are beyond reproach for me.  But the vast, vast majority are questionable, at best.

MikeRox said:

Yeah, it's a very strange and cavalier way to treat your money, but to each their own heh. 

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

Not every gamer is as up to speed about games as many of us here on the forum. Ive seen people selling their Wii because they didnt like the games. They sell it in with their copies of FarCry Vengeance an go "yeah, the motion controls are horrible."

Well no shit, Sherlock. You bought a downgraded port that was made in 3 days FFS!

Then maybe they should consider a different hobby where they can spend even a half hour looking into the thing they're thinking of purchasing.  Seriously, if you can't even check a dev diary to see some gameplay and listen to the devs direction for the game, don't you pretty much deserve what you get?  Clearly it's unfair to expect everyone to spend hours a week checking out gaming news, but just looking up the title on google/youtube and seeing what's up?  That's not asking that much for something you're probably spending between $30-60 on.

Thats easy for us to say, but if youre new to gaming and just want a console to play a few games, then the shovelware can hurt the company. The guy trading in the Wii, maybe he bought a PS3 with The Last Of Us later and for him and the non gaming people he talks to, the PS3 is amazing and the Wii doesnt work...

KLXVER said:

Thats easy for us to say, but if youre new to gaming and just want a console to play a few games, then the shovelware can hurt the company. The guy trading in the Wii, maybe he bought a PS3 with The Last Of Us later and for him and the non gaming people he talks to, the PS3 is amazing and the Wii doesnt work...

You're right, it is easy for me to say, but I go back to the car analogy.  If you're new to car purchasing, you still don't go in blind (you may not ask all the right questions, either, but that comes with experience).  It's not so much just a 'gaming' thing, as it's general consumer protection.

And I think it would be an extremely small segment of potential new console buyers, who have no friends, relatives, children, friends with children etc... who you couldn't just ask :)

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

You're right, it is easy for me to say, but I go back to the car analogy.  If you're new to car purchasing, you still don't go in blind (you may not ask all the right questions, either, but that comes with experience).  It's not so much just a 'gaming' thing, as it's general consumer protection.

And I think it would be an extremely small segment of potential new console buyers, who have no friends, relatives, children, friends with children etc... who you couldn't just ask :)

Well the Wii and Nintendo didnt really get alot of praise from many gamers around the world either though. Sure it was several things people didnt like about it, but the shovelware argument came up pretty often.

I think the OP has simply not played enough good indie games, that's the only way I can explain this

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
fluky-nintendy said:
I think the OP has simply not played enough good indie games, that's the only way I can explain this

VVVVVV, Braid, Bastion and Super Meat Boy are among by favorites games of last gen.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
fluky-nintendy said:

VVVVVV, Braid, Bastion and Super Meat Boy are among by favorites games of last gen.

Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Of Us, Bioshock and Mass Effect were better;)

Depends on what you mean, I do not think I've bought single 'indie' game for one very reason, they are stuck on my console/PC (especially at the end of the generation). Of course not being interested in them matters too. However what is classed as a indie game? Was Stardust HD an indie title? If so it was probably my most played game last gen. Was WipeOut HD? as that while released on digital only for £15 at first was done by a large studio and later had a disc release.

This said I don't want the industry filled with just check downloadable titles and big budget releases, we need that middle ground and at the moment it seems there is none.

Hmm, pie.