By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

mornelithe said:
Max King of the Wild said:
No. No reason to ask for LESS. Makes no fucking sense.

Makes me think of people who complain about too many cars in GT.  Since when did too much content become a bad thing?

Well what if they added a cow suddenly appear in front of your car when your racing? Maybe they could add invisible walls in the middle of some tracks. More content FTW!!!

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
mornelithe said:

Makes me think of people who complain about too many cars in GT.  Since when did too much content become a bad thing?

Well what if they added a cow suddenly appear in front of your car when your racing? Maybe they could add invisible walls in the middle of some tracks. More content FTW!!!

Cow's would be interesting, especially in GT since it could potentially mean a road race, rather than a track race.  GT has some road races, but they're closed circuits built and barricaded like an F1 road race (Monaco for example).  Having wildlife randomly crossing roads in point to point races could actually be pretty cool.  The invisible wall is silly, don't stray into hyperbole, it adds nothing to your case.

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:
mornelithe said:

Cow's would be interesting, especially in GT since it could potentially mean a road race, rather than a track race.  GT has some road races, but they're closed circuits built and barricaded like an F1 road race (Monaco for example).  Having wildlife randomly crossing roads in point to point races could actually be pretty cool.  The invisible wall is silly, don't stray into hyperbole, it adds nothing to your case.

Just saying that less can be better. Just look at the Wii. All that shovelware hurt Nintendo more than it helped them...

nope,don't see how this is a bad thing at all. People that say this,are the ones that are all about the OMG graphics and can't appreciate different gaming experiences. Don't like it,then don't bye any of them. simple,really.

KLXVER said:

Just saying that less can be better. Just look at the Wii. All that shovelware hurt Nintendo more than it helped them...

See, I don't see why shovelware hurts anyone but the dumbass studio that released it.  I don't buy shitty games.  I research them in advance, and usually - because I peruse these here kinds of forums - hear about them long enough in advance so as to be able to get a pretty dang good idea about it long before it goes gold.  It's part and parcel with spending vast amounts of money on anything.  You wouldn't just buy the first car you saw at a dealership (or used) without researching it first, right?  Why treat this any differently, just because there're two different price ranges?  If you aren't aware by now, developers, publishers and manufacturers aren't above trying to sucker us into doing something stupid.  We shape the industry through our spending habits, if we don't pay attention, they'll bend us over at every turn.

Around the Network

I'm very happy with the indie boom. Although there are many uninspired ones, the creative new titles make up for it. I can make a list of 20+ indie games that interest me releasing 2014-2015. No chance I'd come anywhere near that number for AAA.

Indies are also generally cheap and short. The best ones take a concept and execute brilliantly, without giving it enough time to grow stale.

Love indies. Not because they are better than AAA games though. The creators of indie games are usually far more likely to try an out there idea. AAA devs almost always play it safe nowadays.

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

See, I don't see why shovelware hurts anyone but the dumbass studio that released it.  I don't buy shitty games.  I research them in advance, and usually - because I peruse these here kinds of forums - hear about them long enough in advance so as to be able to get a pretty dang good idea about it long before it goes gold.  It's part and parcel with spending vast amounts of money on anything.  You wouldn't just buy the first car you saw at a dealership (or used) without researching it first, right?  Why treat this any differently, just because there're two different price ranges?  If you aren't aware by now, developers, publishers and manufacturers aren't above trying to sucker us into doing something stupid, we shape the industry through our spending habits.

Not every gamer is as up to speed about games as many of us here on the forum. Ive seen people selling their Wii because they didnt like the games. They sell it with their copies of FarCry Vengeance an go "yeah, the motion controls are horrible."

Well no shit, Sherlock. You bought a downgraded port that was made in 3 days FFS!

KLXVER said:

Not every gamer is as up to speed about games as many of us here on the forum. Ive seen people selling their Wii because they didnt like the games. They sell it in with their copies of FarCry Vengeance an go "yeah, the motion controls are horrible."

Well no shit, Sherlock. You bought a downgraded port that was made in 3 days FFS!

Then maybe they should consider a different hobby where they can spend even a half hour looking into the thing they're thinking of purchasing.  Seriously, if you can't even check a dev diary to see some gameplay and listen to the devs direction for the game, don't you pretty much deserve what you get?  Clearly it's unfair to expect everyone to spend hours a week checking out gaming news, but just looking up the title on google/youtube and seeing what's up?  That's not asking that much for something you're probably spending between $30-60 on.

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

Not every gamer is as up to speed about games as many of us here on the forum. Ive seen people selling their Wii because they didnt like the games. They sell it in with their copies of FarCry Vengeance an go "yeah, the motion controls are horrible."

Then maybe they should consider a different hobby where they can spend even a half hour looking into the thing they're thinking of purchasing.  Seriously, if you can't even check a dev diary to see some gameplay and listen to the devs direction for the game, don't you pretty much deserve what you get?  Clearly it's unfair to expect everyone to spend hours a week checking out gaming news, but just looking up the title on google/youtube and seeing what's up?  That's not asking that much for something you're probably spending between $30-60 on.

I agree with you there. If I'm unsure about a game,I always spend alittle time researching it. I've rarley  bought a game blindsided.