By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

phaedruss said:
adriane23 said:
95% of them should've never been made in my opinion, but I'm happy that the 5% that are good exist in the world. If we have to have 9 indie turds for 1 indie gem, then I say open the flood gates.

Or improve quality control on Steam.

Why? Just because you don't like them? Their existence doesn't harm you in any way.

What are you asking exactly? Why what? Or maybe you somehow missed my second sentence. I'll bold it for you.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Well the Wii and Nintendo didnt really get alot of praise from many gamers around the world either though. Sure it was several things people didnt like about it, but the shovelware argument came up pretty often.

Some of what the Wii offered was extremely compelling and nobody can argue that point.  What can be argued is the decision making process when having to choose between the consoles you buy.  I just saw more content on the PS3 that caters to me, as opposed to the Wii.  That doesn't speak for everyone, and it certainly doesn't mean it was a bad console.  Still doesn't make the shovelware thing make sense to me.  I just don't spend money that cavalierly.

phaedruss said:
adriane23 said:
95% of them should've never been made in my opinion, but I'm happy that the 5% that are good exist in the world. If we have to have 9 indie turds for 1 indie gem, then I say open the flood gates.

Why? Just because you don't like them? Their existence doesn't harm you in any way.

How do you know? Maybe his father hits him every time a bad indie game is released...

theRepublic said:

The problem with that is one mis-step along the way and they are back to making small indie games or bankrupt.  Let's see if any of them can do it.

Isn't that what's happening to the bigger companies too? Some huge names from the past no longer exist, THQ, Acclaim and Midway to name a few.

The likes of Capcom are also far from healthy. It's just the nature of the industry right now.

However, look at That Game Company, from Flow to Flower to Journey in a single generation.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

KLXVER said:
phaedruss said:
adriane23 said:

How do you know? Maybe his father hits him every time a bad indie game is released...

Wow, if this sad little exchange doesn't make a compelling case for Reading Rainbow to come back, nothing will.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
adriane23 said:

Wow, if this sad little exchange doesn't make a compelling case for Reading Rainbow to come back, nothing will.

Well the Writing Wallflower wouldnt like that...

we don't need more AAA games, what we need is more A or AA games that have the quality of a AAA game, (like Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Tales Games, The Yakuza Games, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles etc...)

Not a fan of indie games. Only a few catch my eye and wallet.

MikeRox said:
theRepublic said:

The problem with that is one mis-step along the way and they are back to making small indie games or bankrupt.  Let's see if any of them can do it.

Isn't that what's happening to the bigger companies too? Some huge names from the past no longer exist, THQ, Acclaim and Midway to name a few.

The likes of Capcom are also far from healthy. It's just the nature of the industry right now.

However, look at That Game Company, from Flow to Flower to Journey in a single generation.

Sure, a single mega-flop can kill a company.  Just look at Factor 5.  After a bunch of great games, Lair killed them.  Those other companies were mismanaged over the course of years and years.

But you are right, I don't think the industry is very healthy right now.  The more big publishers push to only doing big budget games, the more risk is concentrated in fewer games.

I don't know much about Flow, Flower, and Journey.  Aren't those all fairly small scale downloadable games.  I didn't think there was much difference in the size and scope of those games.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Each one is noticibly more ambitious than the previous one. Flow was a 2D games. Flower took it to full 3D with a very original premise (and also a great game) but then Journey was up there with any AAA blockbuster for me. It really was an experience.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.