By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATE: Sell Through to Consumers? Mario Kart 8 Sells 2 million units in 1 month WW!

Update http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/27/2-million-copies-of-mario-kart-8-have-reportedly-been-sold

2 MILLION COPIES OF MARIO KART 8 HAVE REPORTEDLY BEEN SOLD

BY LUCY O'BRIENUPDATE: Nintendo has given us confirmation that Mario Kart 8's global sell-through is approximately 2 million in less than a month, as announced by Genyo Takeda speaking on behalf of Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. Original story is below.

RUMORED so far. If true, remember this is Shipped+Digital! Found on gaf....

From Nintendo's AGM. Someone live-tweeting the event has shared that Mario Kart 8 has allegedly sold 2 million copies in 1 month world wide. 

The tweet also mentions a reported upturn in hardware sales for the Wii U. 

マリオカート8は発売から1ヶ月で全世界200万本。本体の販売も上向いている。(そこまで売れてるか…?)

My take: 

"Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million copies world wide in the month since its release. System sales are also up. (Is it selling that much...?)"

Unconfirmed because it's from a tweet and not an official report (yet). Will update if/when one appears. 

Around the Network

If this is Shipped + Digital (if it's true, that is) then our numbers show that there is quite a lot of Mario Kart 8 on the shelves.

NintendoPie said:
If this is Shipped + Digital (if it's true, that is) then our numbers show that there is quite a lot of Mario Kart 8 on the shelves.

Or that we are underestimating digital sales.

NintendoPie said:

look at the date of VGC charts. still 2 weeks to update to match nintendo

Max King of the Wild said:

Wouldn't it be one week? We have three weeks of data. Never mind, one month since. Either way, that could explain some of this. I seriously doubt digital sales are too big so I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on that front.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

VGC has 3 weeks of MK8, this would have 2 extra weeks + digital.

Technically, it hasn't been a month yet...'

Not really surprising news though.

Awesome if true but its probably not.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

NintendoPie said:

Wouldn't it be one week? We have three weeks of data. Never mind, one month since. Either way, that could explain some of this. I seriously doubt digital sales are too big so I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on that front.

Digital is still probably significant. Wasnt there someone from a company saying digital accounts for about 1/3 the sales for XB1 and Ps4. Now, obviously Wii U wouldn't have that kind of number but I wouldn't find 10-15% hard to believe. That's 200-300k worth of sales.

Digital is still probably significant. Wasnt there someone from a company saying digital accounts for about 1/3 the sales for XB1 and Ps4. Now, obviously Wii U wouldn't have that kind of number but I wouldn't find 10-15% hard to believe. That's 200-300k worth of sales.

I'm thinking more around 100k. 200k is plausible, but 300k is stretching it.