By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which looks better

Tech demo 2011 382 29.09%

E3 2014 928 70.68%

Total:1,310
TheLastStarFighter said:

Also, this creature:

Has FAR more detail than this one:

The rounded grooves on the new creature's shell have actual depth.  The spider in the tech demo has similar paterns on its shell, but they are simply drawn on a flat surface.  There are many, many more polygons on the new creature.  Many more segments in the tentacles vs legs, far more detail all around.  And the lighting from the new creatures attacks is far more impressive.  It's not even close.  And that's before we even get into the detail going on in the forest vs. the simple room from 2011.

The shading and texturing appears lower resolutuion on the new creature.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Also, this creature:

The rounded grooves on the new creature's shell have actual depth.  The spider in the tech demo has similar paterns on its shell, but they are simply drawn on a flat surface.  There are many, many more polygons on the new creature.  Many more segments in the tentacles vs legs, far more detail all around.  And the lighting from the new creatures attacks is far more impressive.  It's not even close.  And that's before we even get into the detail going on in the forest vs. the simple room from 2011.

Explain?  They look similar to me, but with the new creature having far more polygons in its model.

TheLastStarFighter said:
curl-6 said:

Explain?  They look similar to me, but with the new creature having far more polygons in its model.

The sample size, basically the size of the "pixels" or "fragments" of the texturing and lighting looks to be in bigger chunks on the new creature producing a simpler look, there's less fine nuance. Which makes sense, as the game has to render the new guy in an open landscape instead of an enclosed room like the tech demo.

curl-6 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Also, this creature:

The original's lighting also reacts to the textures as well as the model itself, something completely absent from the new build.

I really don't get why people are comparing them though. One is a self contained tech demo, the other is fully open world. Anyone expecting them to be equal is frankly kidding themselves.

curl-6 said:

The sample size, basically the size of the "pixels" or "fragments" of the texturing and lighting looks to be in bigger chunks on the new creature producing a simpler look, there's less fine nuance. Which makes sense, as the game has to render the new guy in an open landscape instead of an enclosed room like the tech demo.

Intersting, as I see the opposite.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

The original's lighting also reacts to the textures as well as the model itself, something completely absent from the new build.

I really don't get why people are comparing them though. One is a self contained tech demo, the other is fully open world. Anyone expecting them to be equal is frankly kidding themselves.

It is present in the new model.

Agreed. But also the fire is so good. The flames growing after the laser beam was like oh god, looks like a cartoon!
Game looks so awesome.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Hynad said:

Textures and models are stylised to look like an anime similar to Mononoke Hime. While the end result looks really good, it doesn't make use of the same amount of details as the tech demo. Textures are blurry, giving them a painting look not that different from Skyward Sword. Although it's much more convincing this time around.

(Right click and open it in new tab to see it in full resolution)

You don't have to take the "It has less details than the tech demo" as "it looks worse than the tech demo". Because that's not what I'm saying. The new look is much more pleasing to my eyes and I'm glad they went for something like this. I was blown away by the teaser, and can't wait to see more of it in the coming months. Hopefully though, the game will have some darker locations. I would like a balance between bright and dark like Twilight Princess has. Just imagine how great it would look with an art style such as this!

like it was said a little after your post, look at the enviroment (and enemy). even if link and the horse aren't using many textures, the game still beats the demo easiliy. it's pushing much more polygons, textures and effects. there's also physics and minor details, like the cloud's shadow.

TheLastStarFighter said:

While an element of cel-shading is used in the new trailer - and makes the game look better without causing a huge drain on resources - , it doesn't mean that the new Wii U Zelda is lacking textures, ploygons or detail.  When you look at the new link:

there is clearly depth in his clothing.  It has wrinkles and very realistic movement.  It's actually fairly realistic looking.  And the lighting is high-end and real time.  It's not 6 shades of blue, there is a gradual shade in many areas - there are just some points with distinct lines, giving the cel shade effect.  This is dramatically different and more complex than classic toon link who is a flat surface with essentially dark/light shadowing:

The new link is also more detailed than the the Tech Demo:

He's shiny, but when you're talking textures and polygon counts, his clothes, again, are essentially a flat surface with details drawn to simulated depth.  When you watch it in action, the fabric on the sweater moves as one peace, not independently like in the new game footage.

Basically this. some people might truly think the tech demo is more demanding but I think some are just not admiting wii u is easily surpassing the tech demo.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Zekkyou said:

It is present in the new model.

Nope, there isn't a single active (moving) model in that screen that has lighting reacting to its textures. Every shadow on the models of the new build is solid edged and can be traced back to in-game objects (either the model itself or the trees above).

By comparison, the model caused shadows of the spider in the tech demo are soft and scale properly to light extension. On top of that, have a look at his legs. Notice how the lighting in reacting to all the little crevices? How is cascades over the object as though the textures themselves have been modeled?

Neither's tech is particularly impressive to be honest (compared to other open world games like SS and TW3), but the tech demo is certainly a long distance ahead of the new build and for obvious reasons.

But hey ho, I'll leave you to believe whatever tickles your fancy