By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which looks better

Tech demo 2011 382 29.09%

E3 2014 928 70.68%

Total:1,310
Samus Aran said:

Explain us the sales of Majora's Mask. ;) 

Wind Waker sold better than a "realistic" Zelda game. 

Keep in mind that the userbase of the Wii for Skyward Sword was a lot smaller than most people think. Not a lot of people bought the Wii U plus peripheral. 

Easy. Majora's Mask was announced originally as Zelda Gaiden, an expansion (DLC) for Ocarina of Time, not as a full fledge title, like The Wind Waker. Game was based on a sidequest (masks) and have the most complex mechanic in a Zelda game: the limited 3 day mechanic. Not only that, but also the game was made in only one year as the first approach for Aonuma in the Zelda series with a more important role.

Wind Waker on the other hand was announced as an original new game since the beggining. In any case, if you are comparing the games then you must compare Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, as those are the first Zelda iteartion in their respective console (N64, NGC and Wii).

It's foolish to believe graphics doesn't have to do with anything in regards of sales. Nothing justify the sales of Wind Waker as the artstyle, which has been already address by Nintendo and Aonuma.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:

Explain us the sales of Majora's Mask. ;) 

Wind Waker sold better than a "realistic" Zelda game. 

Keep in mind that the userbase of the Wii for Skyward Sword was a lot smaller than most people think. Not a lot of people bought the Wii U plus peripheral. 

Easy. Majora's Mask was announced originally as Zelda Gaiden, an expansion (DLC) for Ocarina of Time, not as a full fledge title, like The Wind Waker. Game was based on a sidequest (masks) and have the most complex mechanic in a Zelda game: the limited 3 day mechanic. Not only that, but also the game was made in only one year as the first approach for Aonuma in the Zelda series with a more important role.

Wind Waker on the other hand was announced as an original new game since the beggining. In any case, if you are comparing the games then you must compare Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, as those are the first Zelda iteartion in their respective console (N64, NGC and Wii).

It's foolish to believe graphics doesn't have to do with anything in regards of sales. Nothing justify the sales of Wind Waker as the artstyle, which has been already address by Nintendo and Aonuma.

Doesn't matter what it started out as, it was a full fledged Zelda game and sold even worse than Wind Waker HD.

Skyward Sword used the Wii motion plus peripheral, which failed to sell much. The Wii was also running out of steam very fast when Skyward Sword was released. And the game just looked ugly, irregardless of realistic or cel-shaded artstyle. Too much time was spent on the motion controls. 

OoT sold so well because it was the first 3D Zelda game. The Gamecube also had the smallest userbase of any Nintendo console at that point in time. Twilight Princess was a launch title for the Wii and also released on the GC. 

Samus Aran said:

Doesn't matter what it started out as, it was a full fledged Zelda game and sold even worse than Wind Waker HD.

Skyward Sword used the Wii motion plus peripheral, which failed to sell much. The Wii was also running out of steam very fast when Skyward Sword was released. And the game just looked ugly, irregardless of realistic or cel-shaded artstyle. Too much time was spent on the motion controls. 

OoT sold so well because it was the first 3D Zelda game. The Gamecube also had the smallest userbase of any Nintendo console at that point in time. Twilight Princess was a launch title for the Wii and also released on the GC. 

WWHD has not sold even half of MM.

Motion Plus has a userbase above 20m, just like NGC. OoT being the first 3D Zelda doesn't have anything to do with this. People didn't liked WW artstyle, people didn't bought the game. Simply as that, Aonuma said, Nintendo said, logic said.

If artstyle doesn't have anything to do with this and it was simply the userbase as you suggest, Aonuma and Iwata would't have changed Wind Waker 2 for Twilight Princess.

I don't know what proof fo you want of that. Who else have to say this if you don't want to believe Aonuma and Reggie.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Samus Aran said:

WWHD has not sold even half of MM.

Motion Plus has a userbase above 20m, just like NGC. OoT being the first 3D Zelda doesn't have anything to do with this. People didn't liked WW artstyle, people didn't bought the game. Simply as that, Aonuma said, Nintendo said, logic said.

If artstyle doesn't have anything to do with this and it was simply the userbase as you suggest, Aonuma and Iwata would't have changed Wind Waker 2 for Twilight Princess.

I don't know what proof fo you want of that. Who else have to say this if you don't want to believe Aonuma and Reggie.

More than 4 million people bought the game. And digital sales of WWHD must be very high considering it's bundled (and it's the bundle I bought). 

First 3D game has everything to do with it. The new Zelda is a lot more realistic than TP by the way. In fact, the grass/foliage in Zelda U is a lot more impressive and realistic than MGS5...

Samus Aran said:

The new Zelda is a lot more realistic than TP by the way. In fact, the grass/foliage in Zelda U is a lot more impressive and realistic than MGS5...

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
supernihilist said:

I think the new demo looks much more technically impressive than the old one in many aspects. Wether you like it more or not is another story.

It's a mixed bag, from what I've seen 2011 demo is better in many aspects, strictly looking from technical side, though I can see how people are impressed with 2014 trailer, for more than one reason.

Nintendo devs, and more than anyone their artists, are true masters of their trade, and I can only imagine what would they do on PS4 grade hardware.

IkePoR said:
Samus Aran said:

The new Zelda is a lot more realistic than TP by the way. In fact, the grass/foliage in Zelda U is a lot more impressive and realistic than MGS5...

Look for yourself. MGS5 grass/foliage are 2D sprites with circle animations à la Xenoblade Chronicles X. 

Zero999 said:

you need to turn on your sarcasm detector ¬¬

No, you simply failed ... 

Zero999 said:
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

Look at the tunic; very clear toon shading.

Cell shading. Toons have exagerrated proportions. This is more like anime... But I've been crucified for making a distinction (which obviously exists), so I'll take it you mean it as being the same as cell shading.

toon shading is a different name for cel shading. but you're right, cartoon style = proportion mess.

You need to turn on your sarcasm detector. Hynad is not on your side in this.

Links shirt here consists of 4 different shades of blue. The tech demo had proper textured cloth with nuanced shading.

curl-6 said:
Zero999 said:
Hynad said:

Cell shading. Toons have exagerrated proportions. This is more like anime... But I've been crucified for making a distinction (which obviously exists), so I'll take it you mean it as being the same as cell shading.

toon shading is a different name for cel shading. but you're right, cartoon style = proportion mess.

You need to turn on your sarcasm detector. Hynad is not on your side in this.

Links shirt here consists of 4 different shades of blue. The tech demo had proper textured cloth with nuanced shading.

I know but it doesn't mean I can't make use of his words.

and what about literally everything else besides link?