Which looks better

Tech demo 2011 382 29.09%

E3 2014 928 70.68%

Total:1,310
curl-6 said:
phaedruss said:
curl-6 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Note how the monster's energy blast made a fire behind the horse, and said fire has created a light source which the textures of the horse's ass is responding too.  In this photo the sun is the primary light source and is located to the left, but blends with the fire to the right as we examine the horse ass and rear legs.  If you want to really check out lighting and texture detail, see how the red ambers impact Link's blue tuinc, but you really have to look closely for those ones :)

It has dynamic lighting, it just doesn't have the complexity of light reacting across surface materials present in the tech demo, because again, the tech demo was able to focus Wii U's rendering power on two characters models (albiet one of them huge) in a hall, while the game itself, being open world, has to distribute that same amount of power over a much larger area, which means less power for each individual asset.

Obviously, which is why the real game is much more impressive.

I'd disagree, the tech demo's less sprawling setting allows it lighting, textures, and character models beyond anything we've seen for the system to date.

I think the only thing that is better might be the lighting, that's it. The character models in the tech demo aren't that impressive really nor are the textures.

Around the Network
phaedruss said:

I think the only thing that is better might be the lighting, that's it. The character models in the tech demo aren't that impressive really nor are the textures.

They have a level of nuance to their surfacing (cloth, shiny armour, etc) far beyond the simpler cel shading of the trailer.

curl-6 said:
phaedruss said:

They have a level of nuance to their surfacing (cloth, shiny armour, etc) far beyond the simpler cel shading of the trailer.

I don't think the trailer is all cel shading actually. It seems to be a few different things going on.

phaedruss said:
curl-6 said:
phaedruss said:

I don't think the trailer is all cel shading actually. It seems to be a few different things going on.

True, but Link and the horse are definitely cel shaded.

curl-6 said:

What is this exactly? I don't see it as much more impressive than the trailer link. Maybe a little, but I don't think his clothes are that many polygons, etc.

Oh and as far as Link and horse being cel shaded they are, but a more modern version of it that they used in Wind Waker HD that gives them more of a 3D look. Not sure what the difference is between Wind Waker on the Gamecube and Wind Waker HD, but the enemies and character models are definitely much improved.

Edit: NVM on that last part lol.

Around the Network
phaedruss said:

curl-6 said:

What is this exactly? I don't see it as much more impressive than the trailer link. Maybe a little, but I don't think his clothes are that many polygons, etc.

That's a very compressed pic, but basically the normal map and cloth shader for his tunic  are a lot more detailed and nuanced than the simpler cel shaded tunic on the trailer, for example.

curl-6 said:
phaedruss said:

curl-6 said:

That's a very compressed pic, but basically the normal map and cloth shader for his tunic  are a lot more detailed and nuanced than the simpler cel shaded tunic on the trailer, for example.

It all looks very flat IMO. It's actually kind of cartoony in its own way lol.

phaedruss said:

It all looks very flat IMO. It's actually kind of cartoony in its own way lol.

Oh its definitely a bit cartoony in its own way. But a normal + diffuse mapped cloth is more taxing graphically than a cel shaded one.

Here's my take on the whole tech demo vs game technical prowess thing ...

Tech Demo: 

- Has Realtime Local Reflections for glossy surfaces such as the floor 

- Materials react to light more grounded to reality and it appears to be using a blinn-phong shading model

- Has higher resolution textures 

- Higher detailed environments

Game: 

- Bigger environments 

I don't think either of them are impressive technically speaking but if I had to pick the tech demo was simply better on the technical front and it was simply nice to see the WII U being capable of realtime local reflections and this is coming from a PC gamer so to speak ... 

phaedruss said:
Arius Dion said:
Technicality isn't important. I just have one question; Looking at the data, with Wii U struggling greatly, with Zelda in decline, if you were in charge of the franchise, which direction would you have taken? Artstyle alone, looking at the data.

This one haha. It's cartoony and somewhat realistic.

So you'd rather follow SS's direction. This series is doomed, lol.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.