By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which looks better

Tech demo 2011 382 29.09%

E3 2014 928 70.68%

Total:1,310

Even if a more realistic art style would increase sales numbers, then that just proves that Nintendo's top priority is were it should be: At bringing out what they think goes best with the series!

Seriously i don't care if WW sales could have been better with another art style. I like it very much and am glad they decided to go that way.

And i was one of those people who originally didn't agree to the WW art style, but after playing the game and seeing all the different expressions they drew on link's face and all the other details in the game, i learned that a different art style doesn't mean losing what was good in the previous one, but gaining something great instead of "just" seeing what you have already seen before.

For the new Zelda U i'm very excited about the game and like the art style so far even if it was just a trailer. I don't want to see the same art style again and again, i like that they have variations, and i believe, that even if they could sell more copies of a single Zelda game with a certain art style, they sure sell more in the long run over the series when delivering what looks great for this specific entry in the series.

Around the Network

Let's be honest here: Wii U is not capable of running a complete open world Zelda as the announced with the same artstyle as the tech demo.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Let's be honest here: Wii U is not capable of running a complete open world Zelda as the announced with the same artstyle as the tech demo.

Let's be honest here, you have no clue what you're talking about.

phaedruss said:
Pavolink said:

I have. And I know Nintendo is using this artstyle as it takes less resources. Just the same case as Wind Waker vs Twilight Princess.

phaedruss said:
Pavolink said:

When it comes from someone who also has no clue what he's talking about, it doesn't mean much. ^_-

Around the Network

The tech demo looks nice but it really isn't that impressive, technically speaking. There is no flow to Link's clothes, he's low polygon other than his smooth face and the monster is low poly too. There is no depth to the surface on either creature. It was really just a quick slapped-together model of standard characters to show of hi-res display and next-gen lighting. The game photage is far more impressive, technically.

Pavolink said:
phaedruss said:
Pavolink said:

I have. And I know Nintendo is using this artstyle as it takes less resources. Just the same case as Wind Waker vs Twilight Princess.

Wind waker was more demanding than the tech demo that preceded it.

Hynad said:
phaedruss said:
Pavolink said:

When it comes from someone who also has no clue what he's talking about, it doesn't mean much. ^_-

Cool story bro.

phaedruss said:

Wind waker was more demanding than the tech demo that preceded it.

And Zelda U is more demanding than the tech demo. Still, they choose a better artstyle to hide Wii U power but without compromising the vast world and new mechanichs.

fatslob-:O said:

Here's my take on the whole tech demo vs game technical prowess thing ...

Tech Demo: 

- Has Realtime Local Reflections for glossy surfaces such as the floor 

- Materials react to light more grounded to reality and it appears to be using a blinn-phong shading model

- Has higher resolution textures 

- Higher detailed environments

Game: 

- Bigger environments 

I don't think either of them are impressive technically speaking but if I had to pick the tech demo was simply better on the technical front and it was simply nice to see the WII U being capable of realtime local reflections and this is coming from a PC gamer so to speak ... 

What resolution are the textures? Which surfaces in the trailer can we use to compare the reflections? Also, blinn phong appears to be a fixed function shader, shouldn't that mean that any game can use it if the graphics card supports it?