By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NEW Crytek Rumor: Bleeding talent, employee frustration, Ryse 2 cancelled

What should happen to Crytek?

Bought by Sony/MS/Nintendo 67 27.02%

Bought by another publisher/inversor 32 12.90%

Closed, IP auctioned off 66 26.61%

Restructured and downsized 52 20.97%

I just wanna see the results 31 12.50%

Total:248
sundin13 said:
This is why the bloated AAA industry will collapse onto itself, as too many studios are sitting on the brink of severe financial troubles after one game with mediocre performance...we lost a lot of good studios to this last gen. It is a shame that the lesson was not learned.

You aren't coincidentally talking about Studio Liverpool?

Around the Network

In a history planning nearly 10 years, these guys have only managed to make one good game. Far Cry.

Firstly, Cevat Yerli has to go.
Then , get rid of these unnecessary studios across all the seven kingdoms. You only need one studio, two max. Less outscourcing = Better management.
Thirdly, hire decent writers, AI designers and spend more time on gameplay.

Teeqoz said:
sundin13 said:
This is why the bloated AAA industry will collapse onto itself, as too many studios are sitting on the brink of severe financial troubles after one game with mediocre performance...we lost a lot of good studios to this last gen. It is a shame that the lesson was not learned.

I was thinking more along the lines of Free Radical (which was eaten by Crytek coincedentally) and Factor 5 (which closed down), but there were a lot of good studios that closed down...

IamAwsome said:
Dgc1808 said:
tripenfall said:
Crytek also missed an opportunity by not releasing Crysis 3 as a Wii U launch game. The game was finished, up and running on the Wii U hardware and by all reports looked amazing. It could have been a system seller for Nintendo and sold well as there wasn't any other top draw FPS games for the console.
Alas Crytek has found by dealing with EA and getting embroiled into this Origin account spat they have lost out.
Proof that if you lay down with dogs you will get fleas!!!!!

In their defense, the problem was EA. Stuff like that is what makes me believe there is something to the part of Crytek and MS fighting over rights to Ryse. This company doesn't own their two biggest games (Crysis and FarCry1).

We also don't know what boost that would give to Crytek. EA is the company that gets paid when a Crysis 3 copy is sold to retail. It's possible they might have lost some funding when the orders came in to drop the WiiU version but we really just don't know.

EA owns the rights to Crysis? I thought they just published the retail games under the EA Partners label. Doesn't Crytek own the IP?

Yes but fat lot of good that does you if EA decide not to publish it on a certain platform.

I'm not saying these sales would have saved the company but it was an opportunity lost....

EA move on to the next shitty decision and Crytek fall by the wayside.

AZWification said:

Oh boy...... I almost feel bad for Crytek!

Almost, but really who cares?!  The only good games they made were the first far cry and crysis.  Far Cry got better with other studios, and crysis got worse as crytek kept pumping them out and took away every unique feature the game had.

If Crysis 1 was a 9/10, Crysis 2 was a 4.5/10.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

Isn't looking good!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

sundin13 said:
Teeqoz said:
sundin13 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Free Radical (which was eaten by Crytek coincedentally) and Factor 5 (which closed down), but there were a lot of good studios that closed down...

I read it as "We lost a good studio to this last gen" and had just gotten reminded of the shutdown of Studio Liverpool. Though honestly, the very biggest AAA developers, seem to be fine nevertheless. I think it's more like the "2,5 A" studios that are threatened.

Eddie_Raja said:
AZWification said:

Almost, but really who cares?!  The only good games they made were the first far cry and crysis.  Far Cry got better with other studios, and crysis got worse as crytek kept pumping them out and took away every unique feature the game had.

I'd say FarCry just got different under Ubi...first CryTek's instalment, while having open(ish) levels, was structured with linear story, while Ubi's FCs are open world FPS games...I really can't call one approach better than the other, just different.

Tbh, I know lot of people who don't want to touch FC anymore with ten-foot pole after FC2, being completely dissapointed with switch to open-world design...I even spent time convincing some of them to try out FC3 (demonstrating it in few occasions too), but, for most of them, that switch to open-world is just not acceptable.

Obviosuly, FC now has new audience (along with some old), but I think CryTek maybe needs to get back to the roots, and revisit design of original FC (and in most part Crysis 1) in order to try to win back their original fans and differentiate themselves from current mix of highly linear on one side and open-world on the other FPS games.

Well I guess "can it run Witcher 3" will be the new standard....

In all seriousness, I feel bad for the studio that made Darksiders (vigil I think or whatever it's called now) the rest of Crytek I don't have much feelings either way. Crytek just seemed a little to big for what they were doing since they aren't a publisher, but who knows now since they want to go F2P. I just hope all the employees get paid before something big happens.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

HoloDust said:
Eddie_Raja said:
AZWification said:

I'd say FarCry just got different under Ubi...first CryTek's instalment, while having open(ish) levels, was structured with linear story, while Ubi's FCs are open world FPS games...I really can't call one approach better than the other, just different.

Tbh, I know lot of people who don't want to touch FC anymore with ten-foot pole after FC2, being completely dissapointed with switch to open-world design...I even spent time convincing some of them to try out FC3 (demonstrating it in few occasions too), but, for most of them, that switch to open-world is just not acceptable.

Obviosuly, FC now has new audience (along with some old), but I think CryTek maybe needs to get back to the roots, and revisit design of original FC (and in most part Crysis 1) in order to try to win back their original fans and differentiate themselves from current mix of highly linear on one side and open-world on the other FPS games.

I just don't know what they were thinking with Crysis 2.  Crysis 1 launched with graphics that were 6 FULL YEARS ahead of their time.  On top of that it had some great and varried open worldish gameplay and excellent Physics to play around with.  Hell even the 50 player online was worth playing for a while.

Then they make the "Sequel."  A generic corridor shooter lacking everything that made the original great.  It didn't even look much better, and had 12 player multiplayer.  WTF WERE THEY THINKING????

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]