By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek In Deep Trouble – Adoption of CryEngine Not Good, Ryse Development Catastrophic (Update: Crytek denies claim)

Crytek is full of potential, I hope they don't go bankrupt.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
All Crytek was really at was developing games and making them look good. Gameplay was average at best. They're like a third party Guerilla Games.

I don't think there is much wrong with the gameplay of Killzone, it's actually quite solid. What Killzone does have in common with Crytek games though is bland stories with bland characters. Killzone is fine if you just want to go around shooting but you never feel like you're envolved within the story and the result is that you lack purpose of why you are mowing down the enemy. 

I feel sorry for the people who might lose their jobs. But Crytek as a developer won't be missed.

SubiyaCryolite said:

Id blame their shift of focus to consoles and "consoley gameplay" mechanics.

Despite PC piracy I believe both Crysis and Crysis Warhead made a decent profit and both are still marketable even today, the gameplay and graphics still hold up well by todays standards. Indie PC exclusive titles like The Forest and Distance show that developers who scale their games appropriately can create beautiful and profitable games on PC and PC alone. Studios like Crytek were lured into the console sales myth (no piracy, guaranteed success, huge profits) and tried way too hard to pander to the cinematic shooter crowd.

It was painfully obvous when playing Crysis 2 for the first time, not just the gameplay but the whole DX9/DX11 controversy. Their initial fanbase has more or less abandoned them after Crysis 3, at least I have. I'm a fan of the franchise but wont even waste my money on that game.

Isn't Crytek pretty much an MMO developer now ?

how long till we see key Crytek members making a indie game? Any bets?

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
1. I am sad for those who might lose their job.
2. I am really happy because a loudmouth good for nothing company is going bankrupt.

QFT.

SWORDF1SH said:
kupomogli said:
All Crytek was really at was developing games and making them look good. Gameplay was average at best. They're like a third party Guerilla Games.

I don't think there is much wrong with the gameplay of Killzone, it's actually quite solid. What Killzone does have in common with Crytek games though is bland stories with bland characters. Killzone is fine if you just want to go around shooting but you never feel like you're envolved within the story and the result is that you lack purpose of why you are mowing down the enemy. 

I actually agree. I love the gameplay of the KZ games. It is very solid indeed. It is not as "loose" and does not give you the freedom on movment that Halo or maybe COD does but it feels great playing it. The story has SERIOUS potential GG just sucks at character development and doesn't seem to know how to tell the story though lol. 

Kz2 and KZ:SF are two of my favorite MP FPS out. So it is not the gameplay that is the issue IMO as you said it is the story and characters. 

On Topic:

I just like the way Crytec makes games look while the gameplay is usually pretty bad smh. 

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Sigh i hate when i see people bash Crysis 2...it was a good game in its own right. They really should have created a newIP to appeal to Console gamers.

As for Crysis 2 they should have continued with Crysis 1 open style of gameplay and really push the graphical boundaries on PC.

That way they would be able to keep their existing PC fanbase which was pretty significant back in the day...and expand into the console market with new IP.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Raziel123 said:
how long till we see key Crytek members making a indie game? Any bets?

It probably won't be an indie title. I'm guessing it will be a new F2P IP that is similar to Crysis. 

Shit happens when your games look good but mostly play like shit eh? And if they own the Ryse IP, I'd bring it to PC and PS4 asap (if possible) for an easy cash grab.