By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek In Deep Trouble – Adoption of CryEngine Not Good, Ryse Development Catastrophic (Update: Crytek denies claim)

JEMC said:

I don't really know what happened with Haze. The game had potential, but it seems like they always took the wrong option when making the game. And being an exclusive when the PS3 was still hard and expensive to code for, made the failure even worse.

True. And those employees also made the Crysis games which were awful. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Thanks hinch!

No problem mate.

Found the article last night when I was messing around with a translation app on my phone, haha. I didn't look much into it though until this was brought to my attention.

curl-6 said:
Areym said:
curl-6 said:
Another studio killed by the toxic AAA business model.

Sounds like their games are just subpar to what a real, AAA title should be. They did themselves in.

AAA is a measure of budget, not necessarily quality.

But the toxic AAA business model is great games that fail to make profit because the budgets are far too high. So clearly Crytek isn't a victim of this because you have to make great games to start with. Going bankrupt because you make mediocre product with a AAA budget is what you expect in any industry.

But where they failed is in adoption of their game engine, and it seems because they set the price too high. So if anything they were guilty of trying to force game budgets up to unsustainable levels. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

MoHasanie said:
JEMC said:

I don't really know what happened with Haze. The game had potential, but it seems like they always took the wrong option when making the game. And being an exclusive when the PS3 was still hard and expensive to code for, made the failure even worse.

True. And those employees also made the Crysis games which were awful. 

From wikipedia (give it as much credibility as you want), they only worked on the multiplayer part of Crysis 2, so they had nothing to do with the main game being what it was, and then Crysis 3 without mentioning what they did.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

binary solo said:

But where they failed is in adoption of their game engine, and it seems because they set the price too high. So if anything they were guilty of trying to force game budgets up to unsustainable levels. 

Thankfully for devs, maybe because their lack of success of selling the engine, Crytek has put the engine on Steam at what looks like a good price and without having to pay them royalties once you start selling your game.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
MoHasanie said:

And yes, PC gamers can now say to Crytek “We told you so, you had to keep Crysis exclusive to the PC and keep pushing the graphical boundaries.”

Lol is that a joke?  

How so?  Their plot may have been completely mediocre (as they are wont to do), but when Crysis 1 launched, it remained the standard bearer for quite some time as far as graphics go.

All this says is that graphics alone will not sell your games. Thats just their problem. Till this day their games are still used as a way to benchmark PCs. And I keep saying it, the PC market is very very strange. You will have ppl scream master race and 4k or 120fps but they don't really buy games. Most of them just claim they do. In truth they mostly just pirate games (its too easy). Unless a company has a subscription based online game or game that thrives on a lot of in game purchases that can't be hacked, it will not sell well on PC. Thats just the truth.

Stop making trash games like Crysis 3 and Ryse and give us TimeSplitters 4, Crytek! >:(

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

This is what happens when you rush a game; it ends up being very average, sells poorly, studio that made it gets a bad rep. Sony is very loose on it's deadlines because they would rather a good/finished product instead of an half-arsed game.

It was obvious they were in trouble when Homefront of all games outsold Crysis 2, the supposed best looking game ever made.

All Crytek was really at was developing games and making them look good. Gameplay was average at best. They're like a third party Guerilla Games.