By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek In Deep Trouble – Adoption of CryEngine Not Good, Ryse Development Catastrophic (Update: Crytek denies claim)

I thought they were making lots of money from a online FPS in Russia (which they were bringing to Europe), and this is why they had decided to stop making single player games (this was reported as so about 12+ months ago), and that Ryse was just something that had to complete contractually..

So not sure what to think about this report.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Id make a joke about betting on the wrong horse, but ryse would have sucked on any platform.

bananaking21 said:
MoHasanie said:
bananaking21 said:
is there any credible sources for this?

The German magazine called Gamestar is the source. I've never heard of them before. 

and where did they get their info from?

Um good question... I searched for their article and found that they gave a special report yesterday about the story, but a subscription is required to view the site. 

http://www.gamestar.de/specials/reports/3057060/crytek_krise.html

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
bananaking21 said:

and where did they get their info from?

Um good question... I searched for their article and found that they gave a special report yesterday about the story, but a subscription is required to view the site. 

LOL! who on earth still pays subscription to see news articles. 

MoHasanie said:
I remember reading somewhere that many of Crytek's employees are from Rare. So maybe those people can return back to Rare and make good games again.

Kind of.

Many Rare employees left the company and founded Free Radical Design, a studio that after having success with their TimeSplitters games, made the awful Haze for the PS3 which was a complete failure and made them go bankrupt. And then Crytek bought them. They are the ones making the new Homefront game.

OT: It's always sad to hear of a studio having troubles, no matter what. I hope the story of their problems is inaccurate and they can turn it around.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Crysis 1 was terrifically done. Unfortunately, the series took a bad turn and Crytek became an epitome of an "all talk, but no show" developer.

JEMC said:
MoHasanie said:
I remember reading somewhere that many of Crytek's employees are from Rare. So maybe those people can return back to Rare and make good games again.

Kind of.

Many Rare employees left the company and founded Free Radical Design, a studio that after having success with their TimeSplitters games, made the awful Haze for the PS3 which was a complete failure and made them go bankrupt. And then Crytek bought them. They are the ones making the new Homefront game.

Yikes. How did people that once made such good games. now make such terrible games?! 

On eurogamer.de - Crytek in ernsten Schwierigkeiten

(Translated via Google translate)

"Crytek in serious trouble

Stand supposedly close to bankruptcy.

by Sebastian Thor Published Saturday, June 21, 2014

What's going on at Crytek? Cause for concern provides a report published today in the Gamestar report entitled "The vultures are circling over Crytek".

The text is currently available only for Game Star Plus subscribers, so here are some of the key messages (via NeoGAF):

In April of that year, the studio was reportedly on the verge of bankruptcy, before one could find a life-saving funding. The company was founded in Coburg in 1999 currently employs nearly 800 people, including almost certainly the many subsidiary studios include, among others, in Hungary, Ukraine, in Seoul and England. Some of them emerged from the takeover of former development team as Free Radical Design, Black Sea or Vigil Games.

Now Crytek infected with this gigantic combine into financial difficulties, as it says in the report. According to co-founder Avni Yerli further funding was only secured once, but now it does not sound as if it were a thing for eternity.

Crytek talked with Microsoft about Ryse 2, whose predecessor was released exclusively for the Xbox One, but obviously was not unanimous. It is said that Microsoft wanted to have the trademark and Crytek they do not give up.

Other problems caused by the fact that both the steps on the free-to-play market (including the published in October shooter Warface) and the licensing business with the Cry Engine not running, as you had been hoped. Even Crysis 3 and Ryse would not have achieved the desired sales.

Currently Crytek developing Homefront 2, among other things, the continuation of a shooter whose rights are secured under the auction of THQ assets.
"

MoHasanie said:
JEMC said:
MoHasanie said:

Kind of.

Yikes. How did people that once made such good games. now make such terrible games?! 

I don't really know what happened with Haze. The game had potential, but it seems like they always took the wrong option when making the game. And being an exclusive when the PS3 was still hard and expensive to code for, made the failure even worse.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Thanks hinch!