By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek In Deep Trouble – Adoption of CryEngine Not Good, Ryse Development Catastrophic (Update: Crytek denies claim)

perhaps M$ should buy them...??

Around the Network

Meh can't say i'm gonna miss them or anything like that. They haven't had a game that was remotely interesting. Let the staff join a studio that makes good games at least.

mornelithe said:

They sold on PC, Crytek just thought they could make a cash grab on console with a mediocre FPS, just like many many devs during last gen.  The folks on PC who played Crysis 1, were pretty satisfied...yeah, the story was mediocre, but the open world and choice of doing things your way, were pretty awesome.  And killing people with chickens +1.  

Your assumptions about PC are pretty much irrelevant, no offense, but no one person here can speak for an entire group of people, and all it sounds like is parroting from an industry that's been obsessed with nickel and diming it's user base to death with closed networks.  It has nothing to do with piracy.  It has everything to do with them realizing they can give you unfinished games, and sell you the rest of it and increase their profit, and gamer's, generally are too disorganized to do anything about it.

And no, the truth about PC, at least among my circle of friends and I, is that once we understand a game has had parts axed from the PC version because it can't be done on console, we ignore it.  Plain and simple.  When it turns out that parity among all the platforms is of the highest importance to a dev, we go back to whatever game we were playing before.  The great thing about PC is, we don't have to buy the new 'shiny' the industry wants to force feed us.  I just go back to games like Stalker, which is still one of my favorite franchises of all time, and has a very, very loyal mod base that keeps bringing new cool stuff either content or texture/graphics updates.  Like the Lost Alpha 'mod', which is actually a standalone game (even though I own all 3 games...legally)), built entirely on the 2004 Stalker build that GSC released to the public, in 2009.  The mod community basically recreated through pictures and maps, every single map from the series, while adding whole new areas to explore complete with graphical/physics etc.. updates.

Now, you can claim to know the minds and intents of every PC Gamer out there, but that's quite obviously not the case (let me know when you get solid numbers on digital downloads, you'd be the first, in the world).  Likewise with anyone else who tries to do the same, you don't know them, you don't know me, and you sure as hell don't know my purchasing practices. THAT's just the truth.

Btw, here's the location of the legal and free standalone Stalker - Lost Alpha 'mod'

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha

Look, I sincerely hate getting into pointless highly opinionated arguments simply cause trying to shift a persons opinion is like trying to replace a persons reality with your own. 

I will put it this way though, look at the sales of games. Console games sell on average 3-10 times more than their PC counterparts. And Piracy, is higher on PC. These are facts. Just look at a game like the recently released Thief for instance. The 360 version of the game has a torrent with 130 seeds and fewer leechers. Its the 5 highest seeded torrent of the game. The top 4 positions go to the PC version, and number 1 has over 1200 seeds. This is just using one game for as an example. Try it, go to your preferred torrent site, type in the name of any game released in the last 2/3 years as a multiplatform title. You will ALWAYS, find that the PC versions of those games are the most pirated. ALWAYS.

Those are just the numbers I am going by, I don't try or care to act like i know whats in the minds of gamers, but I know for a fcat that a lot of PC gamers are pretentious people. If you aren't one of them then it doesn't apply to you. PC gamers pirate more than they actually buy. And their sense of entitlement is soooooo out of this world that they come up with an excuse for every stupid selfish thing they do. 

You and your friends may be the exception, but just have thins in mind, if PC gamers didn't pirate as much as they do, most of the PC centric developers wouldn't need to start looking at consoles as an alternative revenue stream. Look just try it, its very telling when every torrent site you go to, if you look at the top 10-20 torrents for any multplatform game you can think of, The PC version ALWAYS comes in the highest. Its even sadder when you look at PC exlusive games too.

Crysis on PC was pirated relentlessly. This is gonna sound harsh, but PC gamers kinda brought the console-ization of the series on themselves, Crytek had to turn to PS3/360 make their money back.

i liked them for doing Turkish games.(first Turkish game was crysis) but after crysis 2 all of their games were mediocre and being XBOX exc was huge mistake.
I hope they will do a final and good game for Crysis series and finish series(do a proper job like first game not need island theme because it would be boirng a lot games and crysis 3 did that setting after first crysis). i would take uncharted 2 style theme.

and ryse 2 multiplatform(maybe a movie or comic for game reminds first game story((if had any))

with that two game they can survive and sucessful again

Around the Network
Tamron said:
Id make a joke about betting on the wrong horse, but ryse would have sucked on any platform.

I was thinking the same thing, I don't even think PS4 hype would have helped that game.

Also why do so many devs feel the need to spend lavishly on their games? Get a team, pay them appropriately, have a good solid plan and budget. Now if that's a problem then sound like cheaper devs tools are in order or something. I don't know, there has to be some way to shave the money of making a game.

Thanks jlmurph!

curl-6 said:
Crysis on PC was pirated relentlessly. This is gonna sound harsh, but PC gamers kinda brought the console-ization of the series on themselves, Crytek had to turn to PS3/360 make their money back.

all games on pc will be pirated no matter what.

but devs still can get profit with releasing PC helply games

look Witcher 2.Single player game with  no multiplayer or online suspect sold very well on PC.Devs were so friendly.Crysis  sold very well for Single Player only fps.

due mainly graphics and bundled with graphics card.

they literally kicked series with C2

They need to do proper Crysis game .

Intrinsic said:

Look, I sincerely hate getting into pointless highly opinionated arguments simply cause trying to shift a persons opinion is like trying to replace a persons reality with your own. 

I will put it this way though, look at the sales of games. Console games sell on average 3-10 times more than their PC counterparts. And Piracy, is higher on PC. These are facts. Just look at a game like the recently released Thief for instance. The 360 version of the game has a torrent with 130 seeds and fewer leechers. Its the 5 highest seeded torrent of the game. The top 4 positions go to the PC version, and number 1 has over 1200 seeds. This is just using one game for as an example. Try it, go to your preferred torrent site, type in the name of any game released in the last 2/3 years as a multiplatform title. You will ALWAYS, find that the PC versions of those games are the most pirated. ALWAYS.

Those are just the numbers I am going by, I don't try or care to act like i know whats in the minds of gamers, but I know for a fcat that a lot of PC gamers are pretentious people. If you aren't one of them then it doesn't apply to you. PC gamers pirate more than they actually buy. And their sense of entitlement is soooooo out of this world that they come up with an excuse for every stupid selfish thing they do. 

You and your friends may be the exception, but just have thins in mind, if PC gamers didn't pirate as much as they do, most of the PC centric developers wouldn't need to start looking at consoles as an alternative revenue stream. Look just try it, its very telling when every torrent site you go to, if you look at the top 10-20 torrents for any multplatform game you can think of, The PC version ALWAYS comes in the highest. Its even sadder when you look at PC exlusive games too.

Then don't make highly generalized statements about a group of people you can't possibly know, or have any actual numbers on their purchasing practices (since no one else does).  It's really easy to have a conversation about PC Piracy, Console Piracy, the difficult of dealing with all the various GPU options in an engine on PC etc... without asserting unsubstantiated assumptions about millions of people.  You only know, what the industry parrots have said.  Funny how none of them actually give digital numbers, isn't it?  I mean, they get all the payment from every digital delivery service out there, so you know they have them.  Why would they keep that secret?  Hmm, fishy, no?

You have no idea, of what numbers are moved on PC.  None.  Because retailers downsized or completely removed their PC sections, years ago.  So the vast, vast majority of PC purchasing is digital.  Steam doesn't give out numbers.  So, not sure exactly where you're pulling any of these 'facts' from, except thin air.  is it that hard to believe that the industry wants to funnel everyone into the closed environment where they can shovel useless DLC after useless DLC in your face?  Charge for multi-player, force you to use unsupervised servers, and use sub-par communications applications?

Don't get me wrong, I have a PS3 (and will get a PS4), because I see extreme value in the exclusive software that appears  on Sony platforms (got a launch 60g for Gran Turismo, and Gran Turismo only.  I didn't care how long it took to make, just that I knew I'd need a PS3 to play it).  However, as far as me and my friends are concerned, how do you know that we're just the exception?  You can't.  You don't know the PC numbers, because they won't give them out.  If piracy were so very bad, you think they'd bat an eye to bash the platform more than they already have, by announcing how very little it sold with every game released on PC?  I don't.

Take a second to think about this, because it's really very simple.  You only know what the devs/pubs tell you, yet they don't give you hard numbers for digital sales with every game launched, should be enough to tell you there's more to this than just PC Piracy.  And by the way, I'm keeping this civil, so you don't have to worry about me going all crazy.  It's just very insulting from my perspective, to be casually thrown into a category of a criminal, when I've spent as much money on console and PC games as I have.  Try to keep that in mind the next time you want to generalize an entire segment of the gaming population.

curl-6 said:

Are you seriously going to blame the PC gaming community for doing this to themselves ? If Cryteks games were are any good to begin with then piracy wouldn't have being an issue in the first place since their games would have sold well but that didn't happen as the mercilessly released crap. Piracy is really only destructive to games that sell well. Pirates are not motivated in trying to download shit that's developed by Crytek.

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Are you seriously going to blame the PC gaming community for doing this to themselves ? If Cryteks games were are any good to begin with then piracy wouldn't have being an issue in the first place since their games would have sold well but that didn't happen as the mercilessly released crap. Piracy is really only destructive to games that sell well. Pirates are not motivated in trying to download shit that's developed by Crytek.

Good games get pirated just as much as bad ones. Pirates don't discriminate; they want it, they steal it.