Strategy 12 3.57%

Platformer 13 3.87%

Racing 12 3.57%

Fighting 22 6.55%

Sports 126 37.50%

Multi-genre/other 22 6.55%

Total:333
novasonic said:
Sports games. Buy a ball and go outside!

This!

As someone who plays sports on a daily basis (mostly vball), I just don't get the fun in playing a sport on a computer/console than going outside, provided that that's an option. Kind of reminds me of playing The Sims and spending hours having my sim work out to the maximum level, while I could be spending that time working out myself. When I realized that, I had a moment that reminds me of this big bang theory scene.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
joesampson said:
the_dengle said:
Single-player sports games are conceptually flawed. In a video game it is expected that if the player is skilled enough, they will defeat in-game opponents every time, or almost every time. But in sports, say baseball for instance, the very best players make an out more than half the time they come to the plate. The best teams win 70-80% of their games. Playing a season of a sports game knowing you'll win 90-100% of your games if you bother to play all of them is not fun. But if the games were balanced to defeat the player more often, the player would be investing hours into games lost by no fault of their own, also not fun.

Sports games are dumb.

Games like MLB the show have been developed to be as difficult as real life and simulate pretty realistic results. You won't be winning 150 games per season. The game can't really be mastered like some other sports games; at the same time I wouldn't say it's difficulty is cheap. You will make mistakes due to the absolute precision required pitch and hit well. I understand sports sims and games like MLB the show aren't for everyone but I think a lot your issues with sports games are steadily improving especially in games like The show. 

But it's not fun to play a game for two hours, lose a single "level," and make no progress.

Sports are not video games. If these games existed in a vacuum and could not be compared to real-life sports, there wouldn't be any question about how terrible they are from a purely game design perspective.

It just depends on personal preferences I guess. I still have fun even when I lose the game and "make no progress" as you say and millions of others obviously do hence why sports games still sell well.

--------------------------------

To get back on topic, my least favorite genres are fighting and JRPGs. With fighting games I just have zero patience to learn the controls, combos etc, and JRPGs are just too strange/boring for my taste. Oh and MMOs too.

either sports or puzzle for me
I hate them both equally FUCK YOU TETRIS!!!

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

Sports.

JRPGs and fighting games are close too.

A lot of genres are hit or miss, but one genre collects so much lazy it isn't even funny. SPORTS.

http://www.lordkat.com/lordkat-rants-madden-2011.html

WARNING: Cursing off the charts.

Around the Network

fps... always the same shit..... and sport game...always the same shit too...

MOBA/Strategy. It's worse than sports, and I dislike sports videogames.

MOBAs.

Racing simulator and/or sports simulator. Both are extremely boring and monotonous for me.

sports simulation. Definitely the worst genre, so boring and bad designed. i can't stand people that buy this kind of game year after year just for team update and minimal gameplay improvements (or for being a sport fan), unfortunately i have friends like this. if you go to play games in their houses: FIFA. I'm so sick of this game that i almost throw up when i see someone playing
(that is what you get for born in the country of football *throwing up*)

We reap what we sow