Strategy 12 3.57%

Platformer 13 3.87%

Racing 12 3.57%

Fighting 22 6.55%

Sports 126 37.50%

Multi-genre/other 22 6.55%

Total:333
fps_d0minat0r said:
Platformers. Theres hardly any variation to them. Even when there is an innovation in the genre (like switching the solidness of platforms) it gets replicated and you end up doing the same thing a billion times with hardly any difference. And unlike other genres, going online hardly means anything. In most cases it just means someone else is jumping around with you.

LBP was a bit fun because of the playcreateshare thing and the ability to create lots of AI movements to kill predictability, but after a while you can still feel the shallowness of the genre.

I know other genres have repetitive things too, but the amount of variables possible simultaneously is never as limited as in platformers, so they still feel like something different is happening, especially online.
To a certain extent this rant could apply to genres where they split up online players e.g. ghost cars online rather than the ability to impact each other by drafting, blocking overtakes, and crashing, but atleast when you change a car and weather settings, more variables have changed than when you change a character in a platformer (if its even possible)

okay, I love platformers so I got mad when I read this, but ill try to remain calm :) what gives platformers variation are when you combine it with other genres examples: Ratchet and Clank=platforming+shooting+little bit of RPG (leveling up all of your weapons, gaining more health as you level up), Sly Cooper=platformer+stealth+little bit of open world (the hub world, I love open world platformers!), Jak and Daxter=platformer+Full open world+shooting (in the 2nd and 3rd ones) and as you mentioned LBP=platformer+focus on coop+share create.

Sorry, I just got a bit agitated.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Nintentacle said:
Teeqoz said:
Xen said:
FPS. One decent/good game for a 100 bad/generic ones is a ratio that you can find only there.

I understand that FPS's are the cool thing too hate on, but really? 100 to 1? That means that half of the PS3 library must be bad/generic FPS's  because there are atleast fifteen good FPS's on it..

You just used logic to dispute trolling and/or joking...

Way premature, brah.

Yup. I mostly posted that because I really wanted to post that picture.

I can play nearly any game from fast paced to slow paced from puzzle to action as long as it's a decent game without many problems and if necessary a good story.

But there is one... the MOBA. I just cannot stand those arena games for some reason.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Xen said:
Nintentacle said:
Teeqoz said:
Xen said:
FPS. One decent/good game for a 100 bad/generic ones is a ratio that you can find only there.

I understand that FPS's are the cool thing too hate on, but really? 100 to 1? That means that half of the PS3 library must be bad/generic FPS's  because there are atleast fifteen good FPS's on it..

Way premature, brah.

I am actually looking forward to my first actual flamewar XD. I love discussing with trolls.

for the record I do also think the FPS genre is overdone.

PS: If it was a joke then i apologize to you Xen.

Edit: Just to add to the joke:

Says negative things about FPS's, proceeds to say "brah" in next sentence.

the_dengle said:
Single-player sports games are conceptually flawed. In a video game it is expected that if the player is skilled enough, they will defeat in-game opponents every time, or almost every time. But in sports, say baseball for instance, the very best players make an out more than half the time they come to the plate. The best teams win 70-80% of their games. Playing a season of a sports game knowing you'll win 90-100% of your games if you bother to play all of them is not fun. But if the games were balanced to defeat the player more often, the player would be investing hours into games lost by no fault of their own, also not fun.

Sports games are dumb.

Games like MLB the show have been developed to be as difficult as real life and simulate pretty realistic results. You won't be winning 150 games per season. The game can't really be mastered like some other sports games; at the same time I wouldn't say it's difficulty is cheap. You will make mistakes due to the absolute precision required pitch and hit well. I understand sports sims and games like MLB the show aren't for everyone but I think a lot your issues with sports games are steadily improving especially in games like The show. 

Around the Network

i actually like them all, if anything i would say there are some bad games not really bad genres, for example i normally don't buy/play any sports or racing games because they don't really interest me but i have played some GREAT games on those two genres that i really enjoyed like Burnout Paradise, Dirt 3 Fifa Street and Freestyle Street Soccer

Sports games. Buy a ball and go outside!

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Teeqoz said:
Xen said:
Nintentacle said:
Teeqoz said:
Xen said:

Way premature, brah.

I am actually looking forward to my first actual flamewar XD. I love discussing with trolls.

for the record I do also think the FPS genre is overdone.

PS: If it was a joke then i apologize to you Xen.

Edit: Just to add to the joke:

Says negative things about FPS's, proceeds to say "brah" in next sentence.

I've been here way too long to get kicks out of trolling... brah.

Take things a bit less literally. "Brah" is so overused that all of its impact or purpose is gone. Much like white people calling eachother "nigga", I hate that.

joesampson said:
the_dengle said:
Single-player sports games are conceptually flawed. In a video game it is expected that if the player is skilled enough, they will defeat in-game opponents every time, or almost every time. But in sports, say baseball for instance, the very best players make an out more than half the time they come to the plate. The best teams win 70-80% of their games. Playing a season of a sports game knowing you'll win 90-100% of your games if you bother to play all of them is not fun. But if the games were balanced to defeat the player more often, the player would be investing hours into games lost by no fault of their own, also not fun.

Sports games are dumb.

Games like MLB the show have been developed to be as difficult as real life and simulate pretty realistic results. You won't be winning 150 games per season. The game can't really be mastered like some other sports games; at the same time I wouldn't say it's difficulty is cheap. You will make mistakes due to the absolute precision required pitch and hit well. I understand sports sims and games like MLB the show aren't for everyone but I think a lot your issues with sports games are steadily improving especially in games like The show. 

But it's not fun to play a game for two hours, lose a single "level," and make no progress.

Sports are not video games. If these games existed in a vacuum and could not be compared to real-life sports, there wouldn't be any question about how terrible they are from a purely game design perspective.

I dunno if I hate any genre but I'm not a fan of fighting