By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Expect fewer AAA Games

Sony says: "The king is back! Where's my crown at?

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Yawn......I get it Popeye, you have a serious superiority complex. I mean Im bias, but you take it to a whole new level, even going so far as turning Xbox's greatest milestones and making it seem like nothing. "Being out for 10 years = trash". Talk about a sore winner.

who's downplaying MS's milestones?  All i said was we'll see what support MS shows the 360 beyond 2014.. *Yawn* if you can't do simple comparisons yourselves and see where the support was at when the 360 WAS STILL relevant.. then so be it.  1 fluke year for the 360 with x1 downgraded ports/gen 5 remasters and already it's proof enough that 360 gamers won't be left in the dust right afterwards?  what happened to the years prior 2014?  What will happen after?  and being out 10 years =/= trash.  what's trash is a 10 year old system that only supported their core audience for only 7.  how's that 7 year support going to look like when that console has been around for 12 yrs? 13 yrs?  exactly.  let MS prove the gaming community wrong.  you taking up the defender role provides jack or insight as to what MS's intentions are for their current systems. it's not like the 360 isn't still selling, so there is no reason why MS should give up on that audience.  but knowing MS and how they did the OG Xbox, it looks quite likely... what else is there to base off of?  what you say?  lmao.. you defending and giving every excuse under the sun to make it seem like somehow it's okay the 360 finally got games in one year even though they didn't get anything much the years before.. and then also have the audacity to say PS3 gamers didn't get as much in 2014 as the 360 gamers, though ps3 gamers have gotten consistent games from Sony every year since launch.. something which can't be said the same for MS.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

BillyBong said:
sales2099 said:

Yawn......I get it Popeye, you have a serious superiority complex. I mean Im bias, but you take it to a whole new level, even going so far as turning Xbox's greatest milestones and making it seem like nothing. "Being out for 10 years = trash". Talk about a sore winner.

who's downplaying MS's milestones?  All i said was we'll see what support MS shows the 360 beyond 2014.. *Yawn* if you can't do simple comparisons yourselves and see where the support was at when the 360 WAS STILL relevant.. then so be it.  1 fluke year for the 360 with x1 downgraded ports/gen 5 remasters and already it's proof enough that 360 gamers won't be left in the dust right afterwards?  what happened to the years prior 2014?  What will happen after?  and being out 10 years =/= trash.  what's trash is a 10 year old system that only supported their core audience for only 7.  how's that 7 year support going to look like when that console has been around for 12 yrs? 13 yrs?  exactly.  let MS prove the gaming community wrong.  you taking up the defender role provides jack or insight as to what MS's intentions are for their current systems. it's not like the 360 isn't still selling, so there is no reason why MS should give up on that audience.  but knowing MS and how they did the OG Xbox, it looks quite likely... what else is there to base off of?  what you say?  lmao..

Look compared to PS3, 360 didn't get much support, but 3rd parties did most of the heavy lifting and will continue to do so. Most gamers play multiplats over exclusives anyway, its a sheer numbers game. We got our Halo, Forza, and Gears (yaya I know), and a ton of XBLA games that weren't on PS3. Just saying it wasn't barren, and I would gladly take Halo 4 or Gears 3 over most of what PS3 offered, it really is personal preference in the end.

Gen 5 remasters and cross gen releases in a 9th year is unprecendented, whether you are a PS console or not. That's the bottom line, nevermind 10 and going forward, where it is now is nothing short of amazing. Nobody, certainly not you, woudl have predicted this in 2005. I concede, PS4 will win, PS3 is still going strong, but just don't have this kick-when-down mentality....at least try to do your homework on what the competition does/did. I mean REALLY did and not the bandwagon stereotypes.

And stop comparing 360 to the OG Xbox. 4 years on the market compared to 9 and counting......like cmon.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Last generation of consoles saw the rise of the small indie games.

This generation of consoles may see the rise of the mid tier games.

Who really knows?

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

sales2099 said:

Look compared to PS3, 360 didn't get much support, but 3rd parties did most of the heavy lifting and will continue to do so. Most gamers play multiplats over exclusives anyway, its a sheer numbers game. We got our Halo, Forza, and Gears (yaya I know), and a ton of XBLA games that weren't on PS3. Just saying it wasn't barren, and I would gladly take Halo 4 or Gears 3 over most of what PS3 offered, it really is personal preference in the end.

Gen 5 remasters and cross gen releases in a 9th year is unprecendented, whether you are a PS console or not. That's the bottom line, nevermind 10 and going forward, where it is now is nothing short of amazing. Nobody, certainly not you, woudl have predicted this in 2005. I concede, PS4 will win, PS3 is still going strong, but just don't have this kick-when-down mentality....at least try to do your homework on what the competition does/did. I mean REALLY did and not the bandwagon stereotypes.

And stop comparing 360 to the OG Xbox. 4 years on the market compared to 9 and counting......like cmon.

why shouldn't you care about the OG, the 360, or the x1.  That's the xbox division and their legacy.. how they treat their gamers says alot about MS and Xbox.

what's the incentive from MS to keep playing on their consoles if they are only getting 3rd party that every other system is getting?  You don't quit on your system when it was so successful/still selling successfully.. or did they assume they already had gen7 in the bag and moved on? Unlike the PS where they were basically supporting the ps2, ps3, psp, and newly released vita, they continued to push games for all those systems as best as they could.  xbox only had the 360 and x1.. and they basically moved on form the 360 when it looked like gen8 was around the corner.  2014 looks like an okay year for the 360 now, but that might be all she wrote with 360.. i hope not, really, because that would suck for gamers who are still very much attached to their 360.

and I don't care much for console wars.. but I do care what my system brings to me.  And I do take it offensive when others assume sales matter more than the experience itself.  i do care that Sony tries to give me as much variety as possible because I am not one of those dudebro FPS players.  I care that the system I have at least is still supported with exclusives (that's why we buy the systems of our choice, right?).. and I most definitely care that I'm not just an afterthought as soon as the next big thing comes around.  Guess thats where my line is drawn.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network
SlayerRondo said:
Last generation of consoles saw the rise of the small indie games.

This generation of consoles may see the rise of the mid tier games.

Who really knows?

The return of A and AA games.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

curl-6 said:
I miss the days where everything wasn't either indie or AAA.

Same. I miss the days when a game that sold less  than a million units could still be a success, and we'd see multiple sequels to niche games.

I think this will be the case for everyone. Which is why we shouldn't crap on indie and AA games.

TheDarkTriforce said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Less AAA's for Sony is still more IP's than the competition.

That's bullshit and spoken like a real Fanboy ;) I don't need to own the most powerful console when there are fewer games who maybe use this power ;)

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

Try me. Look up how many new IP's Sony made last gen and how many of those were AAA. They had Microsoft and Nintendo both beaten by before 2011 of last gen. Gamespot did a tally of it or should I go and find it for you? Microsoft has more money than Sony but cannot match their creative will to pump out new IP's. Sony naturally can outproduce Microsoft and they dont need tons of AAA's to do it. Sony proved that even Journey could win GOTY. The times are changing my friend. They are changing.

BillyBong said:
sales2099 said:

why shouldn't you care about the OG, the 360, or the x1.  That's the xbox division and their legacy.. how they treat their gamers says alot about MS and Xbox.

what's the incentive from MS to keep playing on their consoles if they are only getting 3rd party that every other system is getting?  You don't quit on your system when it was so successful/still selling successfully.. or did they assume they already had gen7 in the bag and moved on? Unlike the PS where they were basically supporting the ps2, ps3, psp, and newly released vita, they continued to push games for all those systems as best as they could.  xbox only had the 360 and x1.. and they basically moved on form the 360 when it looked like gen8 was around the corner.  2014 looks like an okay year for the 360 now, but that might be all she wrote with 360.. i hope not, really, because that would suck for gamers who are still very much attached to their 360.

and I don't care much for console wars.. but I do care what my system brings to me.  And I do take it offensive when others assume sales matter more than the experience itself.  i do care that Sony tries to give me as much variety as possible because I am not one of those dudebro FPS players.  I care that the system I have at least is still supported with exclusives (that's why we buy the systems of our choice, right?).. and I most definitely care that I'm not just an afterthought as soon as the next big thing comes around.  Guess thats where my line is drawn.

Excellent post, and well said!  I agree with you 100%, it's all about what the company making the console brings to the table.  I had both the 360 and the PS3 last generation...but only my PS3 and PS4 are getting use right now.  I still get excellent games for my PS3 coming (including, but not limited to the free PS+ games)...and I am sure Sony and 3rd parties will continue developing for the PS3 for the next few years.

As to the "console wars" and sales numbers.  The ONLY reason I care about it at all is because with Sony clearly ahead, it gets more and more expensive for MS to "buy" exclusive titles from developers.  This generation is marked by a distinct LACK of platform exclusives with over 90% of the games being multiplatform!  Sure, each camp has their handful of true exclusives, but none of those (on either side) are enough to sway the average consumer one way or another.  Instead, each platform has to compete on their own strengths and weaknesses...and hence the domination of Sony this gen.

Personally, I only get "worked up" in these discussions because Microsoft (and a lot of their fans) want to argue that their inferior console isn't inferior and want to "spin" things to make it sound like their platform is better.  I have a big problem with that!  If you have a product, and it's a stinker right out of the gate, you should admit it and go back to the drawing board.  At the very least, they should admit the lower performance, say they are focusing on the games and gameplay over graphics and move on.  They should also admit that Kinect doesn't work and kill it off completely on the Xbox (let it live on Windows, where people who know how to write software properly have come up with some VERY interesting uses for it!)  MS has NEVER done this, instead choosing to market their inferior products as the superior solution...see also Zune, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface...THAT is what gets me heated...not that they have a weaker console, but that they insist on marketing it to the public as "better".